2018-08-21 Zis city can get in your blood

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Gotoh

Re: 2018-08-21 Zis city can get in your blood

Post by Gotoh »

@Cortez: Look at what she told Zoé in the 2nd panel of the very next strip.
rogermart wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:08 pm
Well, that's because when the mainstream media doesn't know you they think you appeared from nowhere. That's what happened to Pantera, they were doing music and touring, busting their asses for most of the 80s and early 90s (and they gained a lot of cred with Cowboys from Hell and Vulgar Display of Power), then in 1994 they release Far Beyond Driven, it reaches #1 on the Billboard 200 and the mainstream media calls them "Overnight Sensation"...
I don't follow rock bands (I'm more into smooth jazz and 80s/90s music), so I've never heard of Pantera. Fair point though.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Gotoh wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:49 pm
@Cortez: Look at what she told Zoé in the 2nd panel of the very next strip.
And...?

What does that have to do with what I was saying? I pointed out that Sandra got back by doing what Zoe told her to do, which was building her Image as a professional.

Don't try to change the subject just because you can't refute it.

Alice Macher

Post by Alice Macher »

The "Jilted lover?" --"Something like that" bit at first made me think Sandra was going back for Cammi, but then I realized the "She never went easy on me" line wouldn't make sense. Heh.

Also, while in theory I agree it'd be bad form to ignore the side plots... frankly, I couldn't care less about the boarding school escapades. Alex and Marie were enjoyable support characters for Sandra, but the more convoluted their separate "What's my orientation?" farces got, the more I lost interest. If the denouement just sticks with Sandra, that's fine with me.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Cortez wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:23 pm
And...?

What does that have to do with what I was saying? Don't try to change the subject just because you can't refute it.
I wasn't changing the subject, 'cuz that strip illustrates my original point: that Sandra didn't need Zoé. The only way that changes is if we find out Zoé had anything to do with lining up all those gigs she's had over the past year. If not, then Sandra will have proven her point.

It's also why I used the Shinkai analogy earlier when Eisu said her succes wasn't overnight, 'cuz Shinkai would likely disagree. To him, critical acclaim is sudden after 10 years of directing. Sandra only needed one.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Alice Macher wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:44 pm
The "Jilted lover?" --"Something like that" bit at first made me think Sandra was going back for Cammi, but then I realized the "She never went easy on me" line wouldn't make sense. Heh.
Speaking of Cammi, i wonder if she's still with Ingrid after a whole year. Especially if Sandra was right in saying Cammi only hooked up with Ingrid because she was "Like Sandra" according to Sandra herself.

I also wonder if Lavali and Eva are still hooking up or if she is now with Aania.
Gotoh wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:48 pm

I wasn't changing the subject, 'cuz that strip illustrates my original point: that Sandra didn't need Zoé.

Except you are, since i was talking about the fact that Sandra regained her success by doing the very thing Zoe told her to do.

And one year isn't "overnight". You're also ignoring the Pantera example.

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Gotoh wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:48 pm
g to do with lining up all those gigs she's had over the past year. If not, then Sandra will have proven her point.

It's also why I used the Shinkai analogy earlier when Eisu said her succes wasn't overnight, 'cuz Shinkai would likely disagree. To him, critical acclaim is sudden after 10 years of directing. Sandra only needed one.
You are comparing to an animation director in JAPAN for a certain somewhat niche market that never really shows his face on camera most of the time to a model whose job is literally having her face shown in different media. Plus, whoever said that Sandra is world renowned? I purposely drew the Montreal police uniform for the "TV Drama" show she acted in just to show that her thing is still mostly contained to Montreal area. Is she a success? Yes, she's doing well, but is she world renowned i.e Makoto Shinkai level? Maybe, but probably not.

Before Your Name, Makoto Shinkai was already well known for several of his movies in Japan and even in my region in South East Asia, he was even invited to conventions in my country and this was YEARS before he became the mega popular director he is now thanks to Your Name.

Don't equate regional fame with world fame. It might take Sandra another 9 years to get to world fame status for all we know. And it's not even taking Sandra an overnight success to become regionally famous right now.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Cortez wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:22 am
Except you are, since i was talking about the fact that Sandra regained her success by doing the very thing Zoe told her to do.
Then you were the one changing the subject, since that wasn't the point originally being discussed.
Cortez wrote: And one year isn't "overnight". You're also ignoring the Pantera example.
Relatively speaking, it is because it's the kind of success that takes most others the better part of their careers to achieve, if not their entire lives. Sandra's still on her first year, she's just starting out. Makoto Shinkai still considers himself a beginner after 10.

I can't say much about the Pantera example because I'm not familiar with them, I already said that. That's why I used Shinkai for comparison.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

And Eisu just explained how that Shinkai example doesn't work either.
Gotoh wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:56 am

Then you were the one changing the subject, since that wasn't the point originally being discussed.
No, it's you and now you're backpedaling. You @ me even though my post was directed at yours. My posted pointed out how she became successful in Montreal by doing exactly what Zoe told her to do.

Then you @d me with that link. Which had nothing to do with what I was saying.
Eisu wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:45 am
Don't equate regional fame with world fame. It might take Sandra another 9 years to get to world fame status for all we know. And it's not even taking Sandra an overnight success to become regionally famous right now.

Pretty much. She might not be that famous outside of Canada. The taxi driver didn't seem to recognize her.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Eisu wrote:
You are comparing to an animation director in JAPAN for a certain somewhat niche market that never really shows his face on camera most of the time to a model whose job is literally having her face shown in different media.
Point taken, but I never said she's as famous as Shinkai. My point was (and still is) that they've achieved critical success relatively early in their respective careers. Shinkai has said it himself during interviews about the box office success of 'Your Name', because of the expectations people will now have of his future projects. From his perspective, it's too much, too soon.
Eisu wrote:
Plus, whoever said that Sandra is world renowned? I purposely drew the Montreal police uniform for the "TV Drama" show she acted in just to show that her thing is still mostly contained to Montreal area.
Television shows often air across the country, if not the globe. COX, the internet, Netflix, Hulu, even local channels in my area pick up shows like 'NYPD: Blue' and CSI, which are both shot well outside my area. I'd find it strange if only folks in Montreal can her series in this day and age.

Sandra was also already making a name for herself before she got the boot from Domenico's agency. So she should at least be recognized in Paris, as well. And depending on how popular Carmon Chemela is and which countries it's sold in, she's likely to be well known by gamers in those regions too.
Last edited by Gotoh on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Cortez wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:04 am
Gotoh wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:56 am
No, it's you and now you're backpedaling. You @ me even though my post was directed at yours. My posted pointed out how she became successful in Montreal by doing exactly what Zoé told her to do.
Um, no. Might wanna look at the original post again, 'cuz I even highlighted the point for emphasis (link).

Chewtoy

Post by Chewtoy »

I don’t get the issues some people have with Zoe... all she ever emphasized with Sandra was that, if she didn’t want to be chewed up and spit out by the industry in six months, she had to put in the work, pay her dues, and behave like a professional. Treat it like a job and not a lark, be mindful of her reputation, and get used to the long, punishing hours. She was very protective of both Sandra and Marie while being hard on them to toughen them up (and insisting that Marie finish school before pursuing modeling.). She wouldn’t let Delmenico use Sandra on a whim and ruin her video game gig, or pressure her into nudity when she wasn’t ready for it yet.

And when Marie jumped to the top of the modeling gig with a fashion cover, it was part of a scam using her to get at Sandra, so it doesn’t seem like Zoe was wrong. Add that it took a full year of grueling work for Sandra to get back to where she was under Zoe (even with the experience under her belt) and I’d hardly say that anything we saw proved that she never needed Zoe or would have done fine without her.

I am worried about how Marie faired once her fake modeling career ended... hopefully Zoe still took her on after graduating.

brasca

Post by brasca »

What I'm awaiting is the explanation everyone else was given for Sandra's absence since apparently no one from Paris tried seeking her out as well as what happened to everyone else while she was gone.

I'm thinking Eva's scheme collapsed because without Sandra to leak information to Lavali she'd no longer be useful, however, she shrugged off the breakup because of Aania which shook her confidence since she expected her to be devastated. This inexplicable dent to her ego as well as the loss of her insider information could possibly have lead to a series of mistakes that could've lead to a falling out with Marie and eventually a humiliating defeat at Zoe's hands. Maybe Eloise finally wised up about taking her career seriously instead of sleeping her way to each gig. After she got back at Sandra there'd be no need for her and Nadine's high school charade, but if they just disappeared I'm sure that would leave Alex with his spinning about his sexuality. There's other subplots I hope will be resolved before this is over, but I don't know how it will all line up.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Whoa whoa whoa...now I need to know.

Is Your Name popular? I own it. I love it. Just, I didn't realize it was a hit either :p *goes to wiki* Wow. Over 350 million box office and they never released it in the US (at least wide spread) :(

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Gotoh wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:28 am

Television shows often air across the country, if not the globe. COX, the internet, Netflix, Hulu, even local channels in my area pick up shows like 'NYPD: Blue' and CSI, which are both shot well outside my area. I'd find it strange if only folks in Montreal can her series in this day and age.

Sandra was also already making a name for herself before she got the boot from Domenico's agency. So she should at least be recognized in Paris, as well. And depending on how popular Carmon Chemela is and which countries it's sold in, she's likely to be well known by gamers in those regions too.
Shows get shown all over the world all the time, yes, but does that make someone world famous? Noooo... most of the time, only fans of that show knows that person, other than that, regional famous... you're making too much assumptions too fast over few panels shown. The whole point of showing those panels was to show how hard Sandra is working and getting back on her feet... thus, not an "overnight success"

Getting famous too soon also does not mean Overnight success.

How Sandra USED to be, that could be said as an overnight success... screaming at a gaming convention, the next day, the gaming world knows about her (and she did get her comeuppance with getting fired, broken up with her boyfriend and sent back to Montreal and all that)... but this new Sandra? Not actually an overnight success cos it took her a year, grueling work, exhausting days (drooling while sleeping on a stranger (to her) in a bus) and being professional and working her butt off, that took time for the success to happen. I wouldn't call Makoto Shinkai an overnight success either. Like you said, he's worked as a director for 10 years, was getting known regionally and around the area and with Your Name, finally getting world renowned. It took him some time to be a success, so I wouldn't call him an overnight success as well.

So, the point is that, i wouldn't call Sandra an overnight success either.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@Eisu: I never said Sandra's world famous either. My point is, I'd find it hard to believe that she's only famous back home in Montreal, given the amount of success and exposure she's had. As you said, she's bound to have fans in any regions that air her TV series, and she'll have more fans in any country that DM Games distributes to. She's also a runway model, so that's another avenue of exposure, meaning more fans, and she's accomplished all of it in only a year's time.

Does that make her as famous as Shinkai, or world famous? No, but she doesn't have to be to acknowledge that it's a staggering amount of
success for someone who's still at the start of her career. That's a meteoric climb no matter how you slice it.