Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Eisu

2018-07-31 Back to...

Post by Eisu »

Spidrift

Re: 2018-07-31 Back to...

Post by Spidrift »

So if the idea is to make Sandra more willing to pay the price for her career, it looks to be working. Though I feel that the hellishness of waitstaff work could be depicted more hellishly.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Alex_84

Post by Alex_84 »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:09 am
Though I feel that the hellishness of waitstaff work could be depicted more hellishly.
The mundanity is part of the hell of it

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Fair enough, I guess.

By the way, if strips are named for some bit of text that appears in them somehow, this one could and so should be called "Sandra".
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Nope - still not feeling sorry for her; Sandra had this coming with her uppity attitude and lack of respect towards her bosses.

Hopefully, if this is a lesson that Zoe and Domenico are trying to teach her, Sandra learns from it.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

brasca

Post by brasca »

I get that the mundanity is hell, but it must pay well enough if she can afford that apartment.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Montreal allegedly has very affordable rent levels.

Me, I wonder how a city which is allegedly so wonderful and cultured (and full of hotties of all genders and orientations) can also be cheap to live in. Either my economics textbooks lied or someone isn’t telling us something.
---------
Spidrift

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

“Follow my direction, or go back to this life.”

That’s gotta be where we’re going with this. Zoe or someone will come get her after a couple weeks.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Is it just me, or is Eisu's art better than usual in today's strip? Particularly the detail in Sandra's facial expressions and the background. This may be personal favorite from a purely aesthetic standpoint.

Aside from that, it seems to be playing out as I thought. Once someone's had a taste of the "good life," it's hard going back to how things were before.
Fluffy wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:53 am
Nope - still not feeling sorry for her; Sandra had this coming with her uppity attitude and lack of respect towards her bosses.
Sandra wasn't being uppity, she was beginning to take Domenico's generosity for granted, which is something she shares in common with Mel and for the same reason: because things just sort of happen for them.

If you were able to "luck" your way through life, you could easily become complacent and start to assume that things will simply work out for you, as they always have. And Sandra's been riding a wave of good fortune ever since she wound up in Brazil. So it isn't hard to see why Domenico's giving her a reality check, the same way Cerise tried to do with Mel. The difference being, Cerise was motivated by jealousy whereas Domenico seems to be doing it for Sandra's own good.

It's possible that he may have gone through the same thing with Zoé. I won't be surprised if it turns out that she was the reason he came up with 37-B in the first place.

Mordhaus

Post by Mordhaus »

Maybe it's just me, but this would be a perfect end to the comic. She flew too high and her wings got burned.
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite comic on the Internet.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

The comic's title has never before been as accurate as it is now.

RConrad

Post by RConrad »

Oh, Sandra... I know your pain.

People eating at diners can be complete slobs.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Mordhaus wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:13 pm
Maybe it's just me, but this would be a perfect end to the comic. She flew too high and her wings got burned.
Trouble is, the comic set up a whole bunch of other characters whose stories aren’t finished, and who are frankly a bit more interesting than Sandra.
---------
Spidrift

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

This is depressing.

Though i am surprised the restaurant would take her back. She never officially quit last time, she just disappeared last time.

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

Poor Sandra! I hope she won't go on some kind of mega-bender. They never do any real good. :-/