2018-07-24 Wait! Yes it is!!

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Gotoh

Re: 2018-07-24 Wait! Yes it is!!

Post by Gotoh »

dmra wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:14 pm
Possibly except Sandra knows that Marie is getting modelling work and seems to be doing OK with her agent so why not simply get in touch with them? We know it's Eva who would jump at the chance to poach Sandra which Sandra doesn't know but even Sandra at her most scatter brained could hardly forget that she raised the subject of Marie's career and how successful it seemed to be.
1. Sandra doesn't know Marie's contact
2. She was chloroformed before she got the chance to do anything.
3. As rogermart pointed out, Sandra's short-term memory is shoddy.

Even ignoring the preceding points, how is she supposed to get back to Paris? Ask Marie to ask her new agent for a favor? That'd be a major imposition on someone she's never met. On the other hand, there might be a job opening at her old establishment and, assuming the management hasn't changed, she knows the boss.

Given both options, which one seems more likely ? :-\

dmra

Post by dmra »

rogermart wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:06 pm
But we know that they drugged/kidnapped her. She doesn't know.

She still thinks that this is the result of her drinking, and why wouldn't she, she was drunk when she went to Brazil with Senna, when she slept in Alex's room, and of course, her drunkness (and Lavali) went with Domenico to do "nakies" on an island and when she woke up and fell to the water she said "Not again", so for her to think that this was once again result of her drinking is now a normal thought.

Let's see now if she remembers what really happened.
Except she's usually known she was drinking when she finally came too. In this case her last memory is going to be of having an argument with Zoe and not getting into a close relationship with a bottle.

There's also the hanging question of what is the point of plan 37-b. If it's to kick Sandra out of the agency a simple "you're fired" would have sufficed. If it was to teach her a lesson then they could have done that just as easily in Paris without the need to go through the effort to get her drugged
, kidnapped and sent on an Intercontinental flight.

@Gotoh

1. Sandra doesn't know Marie's contact
2. She was chloroformed before she got the chance to do anything.
3. As rogermart pointed out, Sandra's short-term memory is shoddy.

Even ignoring the preceding points, how is she supposed to get back to Paris? Ask Marie to ask her new agent for a favor? That'd be a major imposition on someone she's never met. On the other hand, there might be a job opening at her old establishment and, assuming the management hasn't changed, she knows the boss.

Given both options, which one seems more likely ? :-\

1) She only has to ask. I'm assuming of course that Sandra has Marie's phone number and doesn't mind calling long distance.
2) Doesn't stop her doing anything now.
3) Perhaps but unless she can't function at all then she should be able to remember something of what happened prior to being chloroformed. And if her memory is so bad that she can't then she should probably be in hospital drying out rather than working as a model.

As for getting back to France I 'm guessing, unless the agency added to their list of crimes by stealing them, that Sandra has a passport and enough money for a plane flight so it really shouldn't be that hard for her to get there once she's spoken to Marie. As a Canadian she presumably had permission to work and live in France. In which case she won't even need a visa. It's not like she has to get there by cruise ship or swimming.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@dmra: Has Sandra ever had reason to call Marie? The only ones we've seen her call are Lavali (when she needs to gripe about work) and Alex because he's her game consultant. She and Marie are friends, but iirc, she phoned Sandra who wondered how Marie even had her number.

You're also forgetting she currently has no reason to want to return to Paris: Pierre broke up with her for two-timing him and lying about his "death" to cover it up. Her other romantic prospect is already seeing someone else. And she's currently upset with her manager to the point of threatening to quit, if she hadn't been drugged. So why would she be gung-ho to head back?

Which is why I figure her initial attitude will be 'good riddance, who nees 'em?'. At least, until the reality of her situation sets in.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Don't know how I feel about this one. So far, not liking it. :(

dmra

Post by dmra »

Gotoh wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:09 pm
@dmra: Has Sandra ever had reason to call Marie? The only ones we've seen her call are Lavali (when she needs to gripe about work) and Alex because he's her game consultant. She and Marie are friends, but iirc, she phoned Sandra who wondered how Marie even had her number.

You're also forgetting she currently has no reason to want to return to Paris: Pierre broke up with her for two-timing him and lying about his "death" to cover it up. Her other romantic prospect is already seeing someone else. And she's currently upset with her manager to the point of threatening to quit, if she hadn't been drugged. So why would she be gung-ho to head back?

Which is why I figure her initial attitude will be 'good riddance, who nees 'em?'. At least, until the reality of her situation sets in.
I'm not the biggest expert on mobile phones but even assuming Sandra hasn't formally asked Marie for her number won't it show up in her phone now because she has been phoned by Marie? And is it really plausible that two friends won't have exchanged contact details?

Possibly Sandra might want to go back to Paris because she has friends there now. People like Marie and Lavali. Cammi is also there. You know the person Sandra had such a crush on that she lied to her about Pierre being dead because she was trying to make her jealous.

Then she might want to prove a point to Zoe that she could make it in the modelling world without having to follow her rules. Not to mention that she had a job being involved with the computer game relaunch of her childhood heroine character. And maybe, just maybe she actually enjoys being a model and would want to go back because for the fun of it as well as the money. Especially as I doubt that jobs in Montreal are kept as conveniently for people who might be subject to plan 37-b as apartments seem to be.

The thing is we can argue this back and forth for days but the bottom line is that this whole thing since Plan 37-b was mentioned has been bad writing. Needlessly complicated and showing supposedly sympathetic characters engaging in major criminal acts for little or no practical purpose and without even the justification that it's particularly funny.. You may not agree and either think it's OK or good stuff but that all comes down to opinion and there there's no right or wrong answer.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@dmra: I'm not condoning what Dominico's enacted, but I doubt there'll be any legal consequences because it's a comedy series. Hence, why Yuki never wound up in jail, or an asylum, any of the times she had one of her fugues and assaulted guys genitals. Or how Gary was instantly okay with Amber duping him into eating her out, rather than press charges. And Lavali said she wouldn't press charges against Zoé either, for mugging her before Zoé even offered a bribe.

Point being, everyone in the Má3-verse has been exempt from legal action thus far. So why would it suddenly change now?

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Spidrift wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:25 pm
dmra wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:49 am
More prosaically you do have to wonder how the agency managed to get Sandra from Paris to Canada and into her flat without anybody noticing the unconscious woman or how long she was drugged before they managed to do it and let's be grateful that all she has to show for it is a headache.
I think that we just have to assume that Domenico is a mage of the Cult of Ecstacy, and Tatiana is a renegade woman in black, and they have methods.

I like the idea that this is a Prisoner tribute, but they'd have to have built a damn big stage set.
Private jet and limousines to and from the airports would be my guess. Sandra rode in the trunk with the baggage. :p
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Huh, rather an abrupt end to Sandra's Paris adventure.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Azrael wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:04 am
Private jet and limousines to and from the airports would be my guess. Sandra rode in the trunk with the baggage. :p
And considering that Domenico has a private jet and he uses it to fly to tropical islands, a 7-hour-flight from Paris to Montreal is nothing to him.
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

brasca

Post by brasca »

The possibilities as I see them is:

1. Sandra's modeling career was all a dream, but if that's the case then that would affect the continuity of Menage a 3 in a major way since Gary got his dream job following a trip to Paris with Senna that lead to a chance encounter with Sandra and Dark Matter Games. Unless waking up in Montreal is a dream and Sandra will wake up in her bed in Paris or someplace out I highly doubt her career was just a dream.

2. The agency fired her and dropped her off in Montreal. This, however, seems implausible because unless Sandra had an unseen roommate paying the rent all this time there is no way she'd still have a high rise apartment on waitress wages there. Moreover, there is the contract with Dark Matter Games, but seeing as how they have a studio in Montreal maybe she could work there until everything is completed. Her modeling career with Domenico and Zoe, however would be done. If that's the case I suppose her return could complicate DiDi's relationship with Zii in the Menage a 3 plot, but it would leave a lot of loose ends in Sandra on the Rocks. Personally I liked the ensemble more than Sandra and want closure with them.

3. This is an elaborate ploy to force Sandra to choose between her previous humdrum life or modeling which seems the most plausible of the implausible because this would indeed be quite the setup to get Sandra's old apartment back. However, this could backfire because as soon as Sandra complains to Lavali she'll tell Eva and if she's really serious about poaching Zoe's talent she'll show up at Sandra's door and offer a counter proposal. Of course that might be what Zoe wants since this isn't just about teaching Sandra a lesson, but find out who's behind Marie's sudden popularity.

UnsightlyWalrus

Post by UnsightlyWalrus »

The End, the comic's over, nothing to see here, move along, people! Chop chop!

dmra

Post by dmra »

Gotoh wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:46 am
@dmra: I'm not condoning what Dominico's enacted, but I doubt there'll be any legal consequences because it's a comedy series. Hence, why Yuki never wound up in jail, or an asylum, any of the times she had one of her fugues and assaulted guys genitals. Or how Gary was instantly okay with Amber duping him into eating her out, rather than press charges. And Lavali said she wouldn't press charges against Zoé either, for mugging her before Zoé even offered a bribe.

Point being, everyone in the Má3-verse has been exempt from legal action thus far. So why would it suddenly change now?
I'm not expecting it to change an to see Zoe et al going to jail just commenting that it's awful writing. As with one of your examples go back and look at how many people on the forum had a problem with that Gary and Amber scene. It simply wasn't plausible enough for many people to stay immersed in the comic reality and enjoy the "joke".

SotR has never been a remotely realistic comic but there comes a point when the divergence from reality becomes so large that it's impossible for the reader to stay in that world. I can cope with the idea that Sandra might completely luck her way into a career or even that there are only one mother and daughter in the whole of Paris but the willing suspension of disbelieve has its limits. Once those are breached either because of people acting completely unbelievably or events becoming too ridiculous then the comic ceases to be entertaining and enjoyable. It'd be a bit like discovering that one of Batman's many skills was needlework and seeing him and Alfred having a nice post crime solving scene comparing embroideries and discussing Bruce Wayne's recently won Nobel prize for theoretical .physics

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

RConrad wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:59 am
If this really is the end of the comic, then color me disappoint.

But until we know for certain, I'm gonna hold my breath and see where this goes. It just seems so out of left field to return her to Montreal, unless Zoe finally realized that Sandra was going to be -that- much of a problem
Well, Sandra was given chance after chance to abide by Zoe's rules (you know, one of her bosses - a professional model who knows the ins and outs of the industry) - and Sandra, unintentionally or not, kept finding ways to screw things up. Whether the screw up proved beneficial in the long wrong or blew up in her face, the point was Sandra was still being disrespectful to her bosses - as when they'd try to get her to play by their rules, Sandra was either defiant, flippant, or reluctant. If you're going to be that kind of employee, don't be surprised when your bosses get fed up and kick you to the curb.

I was really hoping this last dimwitted/drunken excursion would get Sandra thrown on the first plane back to Montreal, but didn't want to get my hopes up. Not because I hate the character (Sandra's one of my faves); I'm just happy to see her face some real negative consequences for being a selfish, inconsiderate dolt.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

I'm with Fluffy here, I think this is the end of Sandra's modelling career. She finally pushed things too far, dropped that final straw, etc, etc, and the result is her being dismissed from Domenico's service. Plan 37b is "You're fired! Get her out of my sight!"

Why not just drop her off at Paris International with a one-way ticket, you may ask? Because then she still has the choice of not getting on that plane, and Zoe and company did not want to give her that choice, plain and simple - they wanted her gone. Rather assholish of them, true, but Sandra's been something of an asshole to them as well, so turnabout's fair play. I like Sandra too, and her drunken escapades are fun to watch, but it's well past time she paid some real-world consequences for them.

The ironic thing is, even after yet another night of drunken debauchery, Zoe was willing to give Sandra one last chance - until Sandra shot her mouth off. That was the proverbial final straw that got her fired, more than anything else.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

themacnut wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:02 pm
I'm with Fluffy here, I think this is the end of Sandra's modelling career. She finally pushed things too far, dropped that final straw, etc, etc, and the result is her being dismissed from Domenico's service. Plan 37b is "You're fired! Get her out of my sight!"
It wouldn't just be the end of her modelling career, it'd also mean the end of the comic, which doesn't seem likely to me unless Giz or Dave made an announcement I'm unaware of.

Nor would it make sense given the context of the strip itself. If we go by your interpretation, Dominico chloroforms unruly models (rather than simply letting them go), then flies them home? That'll show 'em. I just don't see how that works. If their intent is to fire her, all it'd take would be a pink slip then show her the door. Or he could Tweet: "gtfo, don't come back".

I'm thinking this is an elaborate scare tactic, meant to make Sandra fall in line, or she really will be out on her ear.