2018-07-20 Contingency Plan 37-B

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Gotoh

Re: 2018-07-20 Contingency Plan 37-B

Post by Gotoh »

Spidrift wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:58 pm
People are sweating the small stuff again...
Well, there isn't much else to talk about atm. :-??

dmra

Post by dmra »

Spidrift wrote:

(Note: it’s all small stuff.)
Can't help but wonder why somebody who thinks these comics are "small stuff" has written well over 12000 comments on them but each to their own.

"Sandra on the Rocks" has always been a silly comic. Full of ridiculous coincidences and steering well away from reality. Sandra's amazingly lucky career and life, jewel thieves, not one but two revenge plots, etc etc. And that's OK because it's all been fun and who needs a realistic satire of the fashion industry anyway?

But when it comes to a model agency having a contingency plan that involves the use of chloroform on their staff then an element of shark jumping comes into play - for me at least. Especially when these are meant to be the "good guys" compared to "villains" like Eva and Eloise.

Won't stop me reading the comic but it does mean that I'll find it harder to care about what happens to any of the characters.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Spidrift wrote:

(Note: it’s all small stuff.)
Well, speaking for myself, i'm not sweating anything, of course it's all small stuff, but for me it's fun to over-analyze comics, it's a good distraction from real world problems...
Spidrift wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:33 am
rogermart wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:11 am
For this plan to have a code, it means that Domenico, Zoe and Tatyana have used it before...
No. A contingency plan is frequently something which you hope never to use.
It's true that there are coded plans (and specially if they're contingencies) you hope to never use so my bad.

But the way Domenico gave the order was like he used it before. Also Tatyana seems to love that plan (maybe in her case it's about Sandra and not about using it before)
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

RConrad

Post by RConrad »

Thinking on it, the contingency plan is probably one of many to keep Zoe's anger in check, more or less. The modelling world is one full of primadonna's, and with Zoe having been (and still being) a major name in the business, it stands to reason that she of all people wouldn't take kindly to being mouthed off at.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

They're sex traffickers! :o

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

*shakes head* Tatiana is an atrocious excuse for a dominatrix.

TwoWayStar

Post by TwoWayStar »

Honestly tho, Eloise's plan is going SWIMMINGLY. The only mess up is the conversation between her and Pierre but beyond that her revenge plan is literally absolutely NAILING it!

Lerianis

Post by Lerianis »

brasca wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:45 am
Well there's probably some ethical concerns about this, but who knows what was in the contract Sandra signed. Domenico didn't have any problems flying Sandra to a tropical island while she was drunk.
Note: This is assault and kidnapping. No matter what kind of 'contract' she signed, there is no way this is okay in the real world.
This is going to backfire on the talent agency big time. Especially if Sandra goes to the press with this crap and says "F' your contract!"
As to Zoe 'being a primadonna'... those are the kind of people IRL who most need a boot up the glute at Mach 10 to wake them up.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Congratulations on knowing how the real world works (or should work). Now let’s see how the SotR world works.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Lerianis

Post by Lerianis »

Spidrift wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:14 pm
Congratulations on knowing how the real world works (or should work). Now let’s see how the SotR world works.
Congratulations on missing the point. The point is that if these people had done this so many times in the past that there is a 'plan name' for it, someone would have blabbed unless it was rising to the level of "I make them disappear!"

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

You’re still assuming that the SotR universe operates by real-world logic.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Lerianis wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:25 pm
brasca wrote:
Well there's probably some ethical concerns about this, but who knows what was in the contract Sandra signed. Domenico didn't have any problems flying Sandra to a tropical island while she was drunk.
Note: This is assault and kidnapping. No matter what kind of 'contract' she signed, there is no way this is okay in the real world.
This is going to backfire on the talent agency big time. Especially if Sandra goes to the press with this crap and says "F' your contract!"
As to Zoe 'being a primadonna'... those are the kind of people IRL who most need a boot up the glute at Mach 10 to wake them up.
I doubt anyone who would try that would keep their boot and the leg attached. Seriously this is Sandra on the Rocks. In real life Sandra would have cirrhosis of the liver with the way she drinks.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

brasca wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:17 am
Lerianis wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:25 pm
brasca wrote:
I doubt anyone who would try that would keep their boot and the leg attached. Seriously this is Sandra on the Rocks. In real life Sandra would have cirrhosis of the liver with the way she drinks.
Unless she is like some of the real life people who don't.

Just as their are heavy smokers with none of the problems.

Good genes can be a blessing :p

dmra

Post by dmra »

Spidrift wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:30 pm
You’re still assuming that the SotR universe operates by real-world logic.
Part of the trouble for me is that unless the SotR universe becomes a complete fantastical gag strip then it has to keep to it's own consistent logic. So while wacky hi-jinks may ensue they need to fit into that logic to be really satisfying.

So Sandra lucking into a career in modelling that millions would envy fine. But while she may have all the luck in the world if she was bitten by a spider and developed superpowers even the most ardent fan might find that a bit of a stretch.

Again you may be fine with it but for me - and it seems some others too -the "good guys" of the comic having a contingency plan that involves the use of chloroform on a stroppy model breaks the logic of the comic. If it was Eloise or Eva doing it as part of a nefarious scheme that could be fine but we're presumably meant to be rooting for the people Sandra works for. We've seen them be over the top - in Zoe's case bordering on criminally so - but not anything that really crosses any moral threshold until now.

Now it's possible that what happens next might redeem this strip but I've got no idea how they're going to go about doing that.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Zoé’s assault on Lavali hardly seemed excusable in real-world terms to me. Kidnapping Lavali to that island was pretty dodgy, too, given that she isn’t even an employee and Domenico didn’t even know her. And for that matter, ignoring sexual assaults on their employees by third parties (the gropers at the booth babe gigs) would probably rate as legally actionable, even in France, and isn’t exactly woke.

On top of which, this is clearly Hollywood slapstick magic chloroform, which produces instantaneous reliable safe effects, and not the real thing (much the same way that Andy used Hollywood magic CPR on Ruby in SDB). These comics are far less realistic than they look at first glance, and SotR in particular is very heavy on the slapstick. That is “its own consistent logic”.
---------
Spidrift