2018-07-17 Happy about my posing nakies

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

brasca

Re: 2018-07-17 Happy about my posing nakies

Post by brasca »

So what? She’s ultimately the boss. If hypocrisy bothers Sandra that much she can whine about it in the unemployment line.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@brasca: It's Domenico's agency, not Zoé's.

Others in Sandra's position would call Zoé out on it and, if Zoé showed them the door, they'd take their chances on finding employment elsewhere. Domenico's agency isn't the only place she can find work. She already has a mocap gig at DM Games that can potentially blossom into a bigger career. If she becomes popular enough, she could become their new model for Carmen Chamela long-term.

Chris Martinet wasn't always the voice of Mario and Luigi, but he's become so synonymous with the characters that it's hard for anyone to imagine anyone else filling the role.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Practically all management decisions are handled by Zoe so yes it’s her agency.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Also, we already know Domenico and Zoe's dynamic when they really disagree on something. Either Domenico smooth talks to her (like when he pointed out that Sandra was like her) or they argue so much they end up "negotiating vigorously" which is code for mind blowing sex, and in that field, Zoe usually has the upper hand.

So If Domenico is not moving a finger to help Sandra here, it either means he agrees with Zoe on some level, or he lost the "vigorous negotiations" before Sandra was called (or maybe he disagrees with Zoe but is dissapointed that the "nakies" weren't his so his way of punishing Sandra is letting Zoe do her thing).
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@rogermart: Or it's simply Domenico being a flake again. He's even said he sees no problem with the pictures, but knows arguing the point with Zoé would be a waste of his time. So he's decided to not bother trying.

In much the same way he took Sandra to do a photo shoot behind Zoé's back, because he already knew she'd object to it. He didn't feel like being bothered with another shouting match then either, until she found them.
brasca wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:30 pm
Practically all management decisions are handled by Zoe so yes it’s her agency.
Since when? Domenico has left oversight of Sandra's training to Zoé, but he's still the one in charge. Not once has she ever said, or implied, otherwise.

KittyHat

Post by KittyHat »

A lot of this, and a lot of the problems to date in general, can be traced back to what an utter disaster that modeling agency is.

Zoé is utterly incompetent as a leader. All she knows how to do is rage and threaten. If her job were "be the Incredible Hulk," she'd be great at it, but when it comes to managing models, she's completely out of her depth and has yet to demonstrate that she has even the slightest idea of what she is doing.

Meanwhile, Domenico is far less angry but no more competent as a leader, and Tatiana just wants to sabotage Sandra and get with Domenico.

Sandra herself, of course, is a nigh-uncontrollable lush, and perhaps even a competent manager would have difficulties with her! But we'll likely never know because the comic doesn't have any. It's just a couple of bumbling idiots, one actively malevolent saboteur, and an irresponsible woman-child ... and those are our "heroes"!

The comic technically has antagonists, but they're almost unnecessary because Zoé, Domenico, Tatiana and Sandra can completely screw up to the point of total disaster all by themselves.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

You forgot Fabien. Perhaps he’s the agency’s secret controlling genius.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

dmra

Post by dmra »

KittyHat wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:06 am
A lot of this, and a lot of the problems to date in general, can be traced back to what an utter disaster that modeling agency is.

Zoé is utterly incompetent as a leader. All she knows how to do is rage and threaten. If her job were "be the Incredible Hulk," she'd be great at it, but when it comes to managing models, she's completely out of her depth and has yet to demonstrate that she has even the slightest idea of what she is doing.
To be fair when she first started looking after Sandra there were signs there she knew what she was doing.. And when it came to Marie Zoe seemed to display some level of initial competence. Advising her to wait until finishing her studies before getting into modelling and so on. Definite signs of professionalism there

Admittedly Zoe got angry then too but only after Marie went back on their deal so that wasn't entirely unreasonable.

http://www.sandraontherocks.com/strips- ... t-for-them

I just think that angry shouty dramatic Zoe is better comedy material than professional knows what she's doing Zoe so her better side has been played down lately.

Quinlan1973

Post by Quinlan1973 »

Thrown.To. The. Wolves.

Way to man up Domenico.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Be fair; Sandra slathered herself in barbecue sauce and wandered through the wolf pen going "Here little doggie..."
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

dmra wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:12 am
To be fair when she first started looking after Sandra there were signs there she knew what she was doing.. And when it came to Marie Zoe seemed to display some level of initial competence. Advising her to wait until finishing her studies before getting into modelling and so on. Definite signs of professionalism there.
Any sensible adult would've said the same thing to a teenager. That doesn't require professionalism. It'd be different had Zoé offered Marie any sound advice on how to get her foot in the door, other than the very broad (and cliched) "I know talent when I see it". Even a conman, or snakeoil salesman can use that one.
dmra wrote:
I just think that angry shouty dramatic Zoe is better comedy material than professional knows what she's doing Zoe so her better side has been played down lately.
That depends more on the writer. Fraiser Crane was a professional psychiatrist turned radio talkshow host, who was straightlaced to the point of being a stick in the mud. Yet, the man was comedic gold due largely in part to Kelsey Gramar's writing and portrayal of the character. The same could be said of Fraiser's brother, Niles.

The closest any Pixietrix comic has to someone like that would be Professor Twiggit who, in my view, has Doc Brown's eccentricity and scientific genius. But Doc was also Marty's friend and, to some degree, something of a mentor. For all his wild ideas and misadventures, he did repeatedly warn Marty of the dangers of time travel and why one must never try to use it for personal gain, even if their intentions were good.

The same can be said of Twiggit, regarding Nina and her friends who always turned to Twiggit for advice to make sense of whatever was happening at the school. Point being, "professional" doesn't have to mean being a comedic dead end.

dmra

Post by dmra »

Gotoh wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:54 pm
dmra wrote:
To be fair when she first started looking after Sandra there were signs there she knew what she was doing.. And when it came to Marie Zoe seemed to display some level of initial competence. Advising her to wait until finishing her studies before getting into modelling and so on. Definite signs of professionalism there.

Any sensible adult would've said the same thing to a teenager. That doesn't require professionalism. It'd be different had Zoé offered Marie any sound advice on how to get her foot in the door, other than the very broad (and cliched) "I know talent when I see it". Even a conman, or snakeoil salesman can use that one.
Not wanting to bring too much reality into this but the fashion industry is notorious for lacking sensible adults and having more than it's fair share of people who see young models as exploitable commodities. Eva types are far more common than is good for a lot of up and comers.

Zoe being willing to wait to use Marie after she's graduated should be seen in that light. https://money.cnn.com/2016/05/04/news/r ... index.html is one example of many stories/exposes on the web.
dmra wrote:
That depends more on the writer. Fraiser Crane was a professional psychiatrist turned radio talkshow host, who was straightlaced to the point of being a stick in the mud. Yet, the man was comedic gold due largely in part to Kelsey Gramar's writing and portrayal of the character. The same could be said of Fraiser's brother, Niles.

The closest any Pixietrix comic has to someone like that would be Professor Twiggit who, in my view, has Doc Brown's eccentricity and scientific genius. But Doc was also Marty's friend and, to some degree, something of a mentor. For all his wild ideas and misadventures, he did repeatedly warn Marty of the dangers of time travel and why one must never try to use it for personal gain, even if their intentions were good.

The same can be said of Twiggit, regarding Nina and her friends who always turned to Twiggit for advice to make sense of whatever was happening at the school. Point being, "professional" doesn't have to mean being a comedic dead end.
The fashion industry is a very different setting from school and it would be a very different comic if Zoe took on some kind of kindly aunt giving sensible careers advice. Most of the characters in SoTR are pretty broad brush with little depth. But then again they don't need to be anything more than that in this comic. Not a complaint just an observation. A lot of very funny and entertaining things are broad brush with little depth.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

dmra wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:22 pm
The fashion industry is a very different setting from school and it would be a very different comic if Zoe took on some kind of kindly aunt giving sensible careers advice.
I'm not saying she has be a kindly aunt, or nutty type character. She'd be a completely different character if she did. Nor am I asking for character depth or complexity.

But I don't thnk it's asking too much for her to at least explain some things, or show some sort of leadership ability. Instead, Domenico's left Zoé in charge of managing Sandra, who then passed the buck onto Tatiana who's been stuck trying to manage Sandra for them.

The only time we see Zoé is when there's someone for her to yell at, or intimidate, until they cower before her and give in to her demands. That doesn't strike me as very professional for a top model. It'd be different if she was a bookie, or a Mafioso type character - and even they know how to negotiate in fair and reasonable fashion, without immediately resorting intimidation tactics.

dmra

Post by dmra »

Gotoh wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:06 pm
dmra wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:22 pm
The fashion industry is a very different setting from school and it would be a very different comic if Zoe took on some kind of kindly aunt giving sensible careers advice.
I'm not saying she has be a kindly aunt, or nutty type character. She'd be a completely different character if she did. Nor am I asking for character depth or complexity.

But I don't thnk it's asking too much for her to at least explain some things, or show some sort of leadership ability. Instead, Domenico's left Zoé in charge of managing Sandra, who then passed the buck onto Tatiana who's been stuck trying to manage Sandra for them.

The only time we see Zoé is when there's someone for her to yell at, or intimidate, until they cower before her and give in to her demands. That doesn't strike me as very professional for a top model. It'd be different if she was a bookie, or a Mafioso type character - and even they know how to negotiate in fair and reasonable fashion, without immediately resorting intimidation tactics.
[/quote}]

I suspect Zoe has tried giving advice but we haven't seen it because it wouldn't have been particularly entertaining. We saw her doing it in the early days when Sandra was sent to buy bread in a bunny outfit to try to overcome some of her shyness. But there's limited scope for making professional advice on how to walk on a catwalk or pose for a camera funny so the comic quite wisely didn't really try to do much about the basics of what models do.

As an example of Zoe being professional we never saw her telling Marie to graduate before getting into modelling but they clearly had that conversation off screen - which is where I think most of the serious modelling as a business talk has taken place while the wacky hi-jinks have been shown on the page.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Odd thought; Eloise is a horrible person with no detectable morals. But she seems genuinely to admire Zoé, and she’ll put herself through a lot to get on in the modelling business. (You know, lots of walking funny.) She really does seem like a better candidate for Sandra’s position than Sandra does...
---------
Spidrift