2018-07-17 Happy about my posing nakies

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

KittyHat

Re: 2018-07-17 Happy about my posing nakies

Post by KittyHat »

Spidrift wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:41 am
I suspect it was simply “Fine, we’ve established that Zoé is a smart (if hot-blooded) and competent model supervisor. Now we can get on with having the title character do her thing, which is being such a deranged piss-head that she can make even a proven smart and competent supervisor lose her shit on a regular basis”.
Unfortunately, if that was the plan, then it was overplayed. Zoé comes off as having out-of-control, disproportionate anger issues ... even taking into account Sandra's irresponsible behavior. And whenever Zoé is angry, she isn't thinking. Lately, Zoé is angry in every single panel. Therefore, Zoé is never thinking in any panel, ever.

I'll grant that when she was first introduced, there was more to her than that, but that doesn't actually fix the character in her current state. Again, I think the problem is Flanderization: Zoé may have started out as capable if a little bit hot-headed, but then the "hot-headed" characteristic got blown completely out of all proportion to the rest of her character. Now all she does any time she shows up in the comic is either stalk around angrily, ignoring everything going on around her, or just go full-on "ZOÉ SMASH!" Neither behavior is remotely productive.

nottere

Post by nottere »

This is pretty nitpicky, but I'm starting to find it a little distracting that characters in Pixie Trix comics keep using baby talk, various characters in, say, Sandra on the Rocks and Dangerously Chloe using "boobies" instead of "boobs" and "nakies" instead of "naked," even when the situation seems like maybe it would go over better to sound more mature. . . Is that just me?

...Just me then? Okay, I'll let myself out.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I think that Sandra is actually meant to be rather childish. To a slightly lesser extent, most of the characters are, and the comics are about them attaining a degree of adulthood (or failing to do so), so the dialogue may reflect that.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

nottere wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:22 am
This is pretty nitpicky, but I'm starting to find it a little distracting that characters in Pixie Trix comics keep using baby talk, various characters in, say, Sandra on the Rocks and Dangerously Chloe using "boobies" instead of "boobs" and "nakies" instead of "naked," even when the situation seems like maybe it would go over better to sound more mature. . . Is that just me?
If we're including all Pixietrix comics, then no. EC/MC characters never spoke that way. The lone exception was Nina, because she was meant to be childish. And that only lasted until she began to feed properly, which caused her to mature both physically and mentally.

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

KittyHat wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:23 pm
Spidrift wrote:
I suspect it was simply “Fine, we’ve established that Zoé is a smart (if hot-blooded) and competent model supervisor. Now we can get on with having the title character do her thing, which is being such a deranged piss-head that she can make even a proven smart and competent supervisor lose her shit on a regular basis”.
Unfortunately, if that was the plan, then it was overplayed. Zoé comes off as having out-of-control, disproportionate anger issues ... even taking into account Sandra's irresponsible behavior. And whenever Zoé is angry, she isn't thinking. Lately, Zoé is angry in every single panel. Therefore, Zoé is never thinking in any panel, ever.
Never thinking in any panel she's shown in... you don't know what happens behind the scenes!! She's very smart! And competent! And totally not threatening to jump dimensions and kill me for making her look incompetent to readers who forgot how professional she was!

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Eisu wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:48 am
KittyHat wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:23 pm
Spidrift wrote:
Never thinking in any panel she's shown in... you don't know what happens behind the scenes!! She's very smart! And competent! And totally not threatening to jump dimensions and kill me for making her look incompetent to readers who forgot how professional she was!
If she jumps dimensions, let me know, I would love to meet her, even if she ignores me :D
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...