Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Eisu

2018-07-03 Careless skinny-dipping

Post by Eisu »

LegendaryKroc

Re: 2018-07-03 Careless skinny-dipping

Post by LegendaryKroc »

And just like that, the magic is gone.

Way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, Eloise.

UnsightlyWalrus

Post by UnsightlyWalrus »

Carefully and painstakingly laid trap to oneself without ever realizing it.

What's it called? Oh yeah. Hoist by your own petard.
Last edited by UnsightlyWalrus on Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brasca

Post by brasca »

I like to think of it as a Pyrrhic Victory.

KittyHat

Post by KittyHat »

Good. Sandra frankly deserves what happened to her, so I really am not sympathetic toward her, but I don't want Eloise benefiting either. If they both lose, that's a win for justice.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Yeah, I can work with that. Justice should be even-handed, especially the cosmic kind.

RConrad

Post by RConrad »

Oh, the sweet irony. And it's not like Sandra can't win Pierre back. But at they very least, Eloise doesn't succeed in her plan at getting her incest ending.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Hello, what's this here, now? I think it's a foot. Yes, yes most definitely a foot. SHOOT IT!
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Valkog

Post by Valkog »

She's so unbelievably desperate for him to beat her with his incest-stick. It would almost be the tiniest bit endearing, if it weren't for the part about them being related.
**== **== **== **==

Derfman

Post by Derfman »

Once again, cousins are not considered incest in most of the world. Americans need to get over themselves and stop thinking the world bows to their prudish views. Even in the US of A many states have very lax laws regarding cousin relationships. H.G. Wells, Edgar Allen Poe, Charles Darwin and even Albert Einstein were married to their cousins.

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

We are well aware of how lax many states are, even socially, about cousins marrying, and we are also aware of the state of those states. You can call us prudes, but we'll take it on the chin.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

And if you think that this is about taking anything on the chin, you have worse problems than your cousin-marriage hangup.

Anyhow, yes, "careless" is the word here. Winning or losing when you roll dice is ultimately a matter of luck, which is just randomness with a layer of human delusion on top. The only way to win is to quit while you're ahead.

And while neither Pierre nor Eloise might classify a relationship as incest, it does sound like Pierre might be put off by the Westermarck effect -- and, equally, for similar reasons, Eloise's determination to shag someone she remembers skinny-dipping with in childhood could seem a tiny bit creepy.

The art's really rather good these days, incidentally, though I found Eloise's face in the last panel a bit goofy -- and the "Model" label there is superfluous. (Dave should trust the readers more than that.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Valkog

Post by Valkog »

Derfman wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:47 am
Once again, cousins are not considered incest in most of the world. Americans need to get over themselves and stop thinking the world bows to their prudish views. Even in the US of A many states have very lax laws regarding cousin relationships. H.G. Wells, Edgar Allen Poe, Charles Darwin and even Albert Einstein were married to their cousins.
I don't care what "most of the world" does or doesn't consider incest. I'm allowed to think it's creepy to shag your cousin, and no amount of famous names is going to change my mind on the subject. That's all there is to it.
**== **== **== **==

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

You can be creeped out by whatever you like. (I mean... Centipedes? Tapioca? Un Chien Andalou? Yeeuch....) But “incest” is a term with legal definitions, and needs to be used with precision accordingly.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

WizzarTheRed

Post by WizzarTheRed »

Oops.