Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Spidrift

Re: 2018-06-12 Dead boyfriend

Post by Spidrift »

I think of us as much more David Byrne.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Don Alexander wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:04 pm
Well, how does that explain some really old thumbnail showing up? This was NOT the thumbnail of last comic.
Okay, at least this is an explanation that I haven't had to do before...

My thumbnails are named Latest_sotr_T(insert alphabet here).png or Latest_sotr_F(insert alphabet here).png

T is for Tuesday and F is for Friday. So an example would be like: latest_sotr_Tc

I have the images in cycle alphabets from A to H. once the filename reachers H, I cycle in back to A, for each Tuesday and Friday previews. Now, in the beginning, before the server move, this provides NO PROBLEM at all. When I overwrite the old thumbnails to the new one, it will show up as the new one on the other comic pages, but since the server move and me backdating the comics, when I update with a new image, say, latest_sotr_Fe, because it's supposed to be a Friday update, even though I uploaded the new latest_sotr_Fe image, it would be showing the old latest_sotr_Fe image for awhile until the server resets. Now, because I cycle alphabets A to H, the Fe image would be from an old comic strip.

That's why it shows a really old thumbnail.

BUT, fact of the matter is, who CARES if it shows the last comic OR an old comic preview. It's not showing the latest as it should be until the server resets. But, I also think this is partly my fault for backdating the comics. Will we ever see this be fixed by me catching up to the dates and not backdating the comic? Tune in, to find out!

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

@Eisu - The thumbnail thing is a huge deal to some people because the thumbnail gives people an idea on what to expect in the most recent update. When the thumbnail doesn't reflect what's happening in the most recent strip, some readers feel baited/mislead.

Case in point, the DC thumbnail - which shows a passed out Chloe - hasn't been updated in roughly nine months. People looking to read DC, seeing Chloe in a state of distress, may click on it to find out what happened, only to see a strip involving Teddy partaking in sexual escapades. But, no matter how many times people brought up the fact the thumbnail hasn't changed and is incredibly misleading, it remains as is - continuing to draw in readers who think they're going to find out what happened to Chloe - who hasn't appeared in the strips for the last two months (outside of Teddy's mental anguish, that is).
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

DarkAsh

Post by DarkAsh »

Another issue with the wrong thumbnail images is that when a series is not regularly updated or in the case of DC which does not receive a tweet about it being updated the updated, the image is an easy way of telling if a series has been updated while reading one that has been

WizzarTheRed

Post by WizzarTheRed »

I can't think of a single thing to say regarding Sandra's stupidity.

Mostly because it's midnight where I am, and I only got a few hours of sleep last night, but still.

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Hey, I'm not saying the old thumbnail thing is not a problem, I'm saying it's a problem that I cannot do anything about SINCE I've ACTUALLY updated the thumbnail EVERYTIME I do a comic update with a new thumbnail BUT if the server doesn't change it until it resets (usually in a day or two, if we're lucky, in a couple of hours).

You guys are making it sound like I don't do my job of putting a new thumbnail and that hurts the feels T_T I try to put my all in this job T_T

Side Note: I'm not really hurt ^o^
DarkAsh wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:22 pm
Another issue with the wrong thumbnail images is that when a series is not regularly updated or in the case of DC which does not receive a tweet about it being updated the updated, the image is an easy way of telling if a series has been updated while reading one that has been
To be fair, the thumbnail DOES change every time I update, but instead of showing the newest thumbnail, it's showing an old thumbnail (which most people forgot about it being an old thumbnail already since that thumbnail is months old so they think it's new)... the problem that Fluffy and Don is talking about is the fact that it's not showing what the actual comic is... so it's not like people see the SOTR thumbnail and thinks "Wow, that haven't been updated for so long" cos the thumbnail DOES change.

What I'M talking about is that this is an issue that I've mentioned numerous times in previous forum discussion and the fact that I cannot do anything about it.

Jobe00

Post by Jobe00 »

Sandra is overloading the Crazy side of Barney Stinson's Hot/Hot Scale here. She's drifted well across the Mendoza Diagonal and into the Shelly Gillespie Zone.
"The future ain't what it used to be."
-Lawrence Peter "Yogi" Berra

Jobe
"Universes Exist in My Mind."

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Hmmm...is it Sandra can't be trusted in a relationship when drunk or she can't be trusted in a relationship she's not fully invested in, when drunk?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

She can’t be trusted to invest properly in a relationship, because she regularly gets drunk, and drink changes her from an amiable idiot to a deranged fuckwit.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

DarkAsh

Post by DarkAsh »

I apologize if it appeared I was blaming you for the bad preview images, Eisu. I understand my comment was not applicable to the situation with regards to SotR and that both you and Jason upload the pertinent preview images for the latest page. I was simply pointing out other issues related to having an incorrect preview image in general.