2017-12-08 Stay on him!

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Eisu

Re: 2017-12-08 Stay on him!

Post by Eisu »

Spidrift wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:56 pm
Much as I like the writing here — and I really do — I can’t entirely forget that (a) Dave also writes Dangerously Chloe, which I, shall we say, don’t rate quite so high, and (b) Menage à 3 has had one or two narrative inconsistencies over the years. (Off the top of my head, just for a start, in no particular order: How much time has passed in-comic since it began? Is it ever winter in Montreal? What happened to Yuki’s father after his one appearance? Where did Gary go while Zii was bonking Angele? What were the other two members of Zii’s old band doing when Zii was working with Angel? How long did it take for Dillon and Amber to prepare, rehearse, and shoot their entire first film? Does the supposedly smart Matt remember that he swore off women? How long did it take Sandra and Senna to fly from Canada to Brazil? Did anyone really believe the things that Tatiana said to make DiDi go back to Canada?)

So yes, if you really want to know, I think that it’s possible that the other characters might just quietly forget a blatantly implausible thing said by Sandra in a moment of excitement, if it helps the story along.
No no no, as much as your rant here makes sense, my question was, do you think that lowly of the writer that you think the writer will forget a plot point he made in his story? What you listed there is not that the writer forgot a plot point but the writer merely decided not to dwelve into those part of the story... forgetting a plot point is more like "I killed (person A) yesterday" *Then 30 strips later* "I talked to (person A) this morning"... this is more of a "forgetting a plot point" cos the author forgot that he had killed (person A) and then had the protagonist talk to the person A he killed 30 strips before without any storyline that resurrects (person A), that is forgetting a plot point.

As of yet, most of what is pointed out is more like, "Where did that guy go?" and "What happened to this guy?" which isn't really forgetting a plot point but merely not going into details about those particular things.

Now, f Dave were to write in the next few strips that Sandra and all the other characters "forgot" (ignored) that Sandra said Pierre is dead, then, yes, Dave forgotten the plot point. But thanks to this discussion, we will never know if Dave forgotten it or not cos this whole thing will remind him of it ^o^

YallNeedTweezus

Post by YallNeedTweezus »

This is getting better with each strip.
Mind the gap

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Eisu wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:17 pm
No no no, as much as your rant here makes sense, my question was, do you think that lowly of the writer that you think the writer will forget a plot point he made in his story? What you listed there is not that the writer forgot a plot point but the writer merely decided not to dwelve into those part of the story... forgetting a plot point is more like "I killed (person A) yesterday" *Then 30 strips later* "I talked to (person A) this morning"... this is more of a "forgetting a plot point" cos the author forgot that he had killed (person A) and then had the protagonist talk to the person A he killed 30 strips before without any storyline that resurrects (person A), that is forgetting a plot point.
I see what you mean, but -- Dave's command of his own plot aside -- Sandra's claim about Pierre being dead was blatant comedy blather. It was like the moments in a TV comedy series when some character gets backed into a corner and starts spouting more and more obvious nonsense. (Basil Fawlty dodging an argument by dropping flat on the floor and saying "I fainted!", for example.) And it's quite common in TV sitcoms for that stuff to be forgotten a few seconds later. Or you could compare The Simpsons, where an episode may end with some big change to the characters, and lessons learned all round, only to reset to the standard setting next week.

So I wasn't saying that Dave might be stupidly forgetful, so much as that he might be writing the sort of comedy where moments of blatant character stupidity or apparent big changes just go ignored after a few seconds, so he could choose to forget things. And the examples I quoted show that perfect consistency and plot logic certainly aren't sacred in these comics. It could even be justified in this case, if the other characters all thought to themselves "Sandra was obviously talking nonsense there, but if she doesn't want to explain what's really going on, I won't embarrass her by demanding the truth".

But if you're hinting that, in this case at least, the nonsense Sandra spouts has persistence in the other characters' brains, then I look forward to the ensuing jokes.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Oh, no, I wish I know what Dave's writing next for the comic ^o^ Ha ha ha ha, I'm waiting with bated breath too ^.^ (as in, I get the scripts then I draw it, sometimes I get a bunch of em in advance, sometimes I get em one by one, so yeah ^o^ Not saying that Dave's slow or anything, cos he's not, I'm the one holding up the production)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Maybe his dick looks like the one of Jack Nicholson in The Witches of Eastwick.

Also, Nadine will hold him up by tweeting #MeToo and having the police pick him up. :P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)