2017-01-31 Too big of a hangover

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

True_Avery

Re: 2017-01-31 Too big of a hangover

Post by True_Avery »

Look at how lewd that is.

Banned.
Play Kindred Spirits on the Roof! Play Starlight Vega! Play Ladykiller in a Bind!

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Pfft. Oh, no, they're holding hands! Oh, the humanity! Oh, save us!

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

that's how lesbians reproduce, don'chano?
Yet still, I live...

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

Eisu wrote:
wiseguy wrote:and they said Brigitte was a one strip chick

and rreally?

Cammi make it up to Alex? interesting
I never said she was a one strip chick... I said, "When I tag someone, that's only because the character was named in the strip, it doesn't mean anything more than that." If they return, then yay, if not, at least I've mentioned the tagging is just to tag and doesn't mean anything much.
not you ;)

I understood you were ambivalent and did not want to disclose AT THAT TIME, but some people took it as that specific, remember I said "they" as what i wrote right after you was this

"misdirection............................... maybe ( as in it might mean something more than that LOL ) "

but others wrote they were sad it would be the only time they would see her

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
about the image of holding hands

the Japan media has strange laws ( for us )

might not be because they holding hands in itself, might be because while holding hands..................... http://media.istockphoto.com/photos/obs ... xPUSfNEvI= as any phallic image is censored there
ImageImage

JTheCreator

Post by JTheCreator »

brasca wrote:

and rreally?

Cammi make it up to Alex? interesting
I don't think that's necessary. Given the situation Alex finds himself in I think he accepts some of the risks involved.
I'm surprised has as much of her painted when he's at eye level with her kitten ;))
Behold, my current in development comic book series and the many links you could share for me!

Twitter Feed: https://twitter.com/DaemosChronicle

ThePonyGuy

Post by ThePonyGuy »

So what's Brigitte's future comic focused on her going to be called?

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

"Brigitte meets world's friends one step at a time and has good times and forms family ties after different strokes" or BMWFOSAATAHGTAFFTADS for short :P
ImageImage

ThePonyGuy

Post by ThePonyGuy »

FYI, I'm saving that post for when they do make a comic centered around Brigitte.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

They seem a little upset for just being sex :p

Maechris

Post by Maechris »

True_Avery wrote:Look at how lewd that is.

Banned.
I recently saw a shoujo anime where the girl character felt guilty because her romantic partner thought she was 'pure' and liked that about her but in reality she was a dirty girl who wanted kisses, cuddles and handholding.

Like seriously WTF.
More often than not people fail to see the entirety of the issue, and focus on a single facet of it. Ask yourself what makes you right before you set fire on other people for being wrong. // "Chemical reactions between the kawaii and uguu hormones.Within the Desu Gland. This is near to the upper Moe muscle."

X3N0-Life-Form

Post by X3N0-Life-Form »

Anytime a story brings up a "pure" character in anime, I want to bring up Anna from Shimoneta, she's so well ajusted :)

True_Avery

Post by True_Avery »

Maechris wrote:but in reality she was a dirty girl who wanted kisses, cuddles and handholding.
That makes me feel like a filthy person
Play Kindred Spirits on the Roof! Play Starlight Vega! Play Ladykiller in a Bind!

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

T_A, the subject of "pure" in manga brings up a question maybe you can answer. A large number of manga I've read have (supposedly) straight women and girls crushing on other women. Sometimes this is referred to as a "pure love". Do you know what that's about? Is it a social thing or just a running gag in manga?

True_Avery

Post by True_Avery »

Yes, I can answer that! This is called S-Class relationships in the overall context, and ties back into a general worldview the Japanese have with homosexuality. While its not seen as unnatural and against god like the Abrahamic side of the world, it is seen as a passing "phase" and immature - a childish form of love.

Before british/america and christian influence was tossed into the country post-war, it was semi-encouraged in same-sex schools for the students to date one another as test runs for real life relationships. Girls dating girls, boys dating boys was seen as something the youth did until they grew up, became adults, and gave society children like responsible adults. Even in modern day, homosexuality is not looked on -favorably-, but it is sorta tolerated if you have an opposite sex husband/wife and have a child or two. Anything else is seen as you never growing up and acting like a middle schooler.

The "pure love" aspect is something both Yuri and Yaoi share, and its both a mix of pride by the authors, and a mix of it being a more "chilidish" form of affection and also links back into our prior topic of the relationships being more power equal, not trading for political family power, not designed for creating children, etc. So its seen as naive, innocent, without ulterior motive - "pure". So its a mix of a running gag, self referential, sometimes arrogance, and a societal undercurrent of homosexuality not being a sin but rather something that is immature and naive.

So as such, "girl crushes", "boy crushes", distant attraction to another person of the same sex that goes nowhere isn't seen as the end of the world. Now, if you go ahead and sleep with that other person and want to start a relationship... then you've crossed the line and will be shamed into oblivion. Fun!

Maechris

Post by Maechris »

Then again, a lot of manga protagonists are fairly young people (generally 10-25) who are still discovering themselves. It's fairly plausible for a young character to not turn out quite as gay, straight, or bisexual as they originally perceived themselves to be.

Recently I've read a surprisingly mature-angled (because the premise sounded like a joke) manga about people in early puberty where a (side-character) girl wondered for much of it why does she feel that much more comfortable being around/being touched by girls than boys and if she's a lesbian mayhaps (originally for the main character), but eventually settled on realizing she just prefers kind and gentle people and more girls in her life were that compared to boys and men (who mostly noticed her precocious puberty). Ultimately she still ends up single at the end (which is not weird for a manga about ~13 year olds, mind you) with her 'designated ship' sailing away to straightland (do note her romantic interest was the least interested in romance in the cast for much of the story and never actually seemed interested in girls on that angle) but it still felt much less forced than 'ah I suddenly grew out of it, yummy boiz now please'. Notably the straightest girl in the cast ends up in what seems to develop into a romantic relationship with someone who is all but said to be MtF transgender.

Hopefully Japanese won't screw up their vision of same-sex relationships in media even more than the West further down the line.
More often than not people fail to see the entirety of the issue, and focus on a single facet of it. Ask yourself what makes you right before you set fire on other people for being wrong. // "Chemical reactions between the kawaii and uguu hormones.Within the Desu Gland. This is near to the upper Moe muscle."