2016-09-23 Break for dinner

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Sokora

Re: 2016-09-23 Break for dinner

Post by Sokora »

I would not mind a gallery of Sandra's naked pictures. Even a secret gallery. It'd be nice to know what everyone in Brazil's going to be seeing.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Gotoh wrote: ...except Sandra called herself "plain", not "ugly". Nor does wiseguy's link show she thought of herself that way, even in grade school. Plain and ugly are two different things.

But-- even if she had, it still wouldn't make it any easier to buy. It'd be like listening to a billionaire complain about not having enough money. To most people, it'd sound like bullsh*t 'cuz that billionaire's loaded.
I'm a photographer and i've listened a lot of their issues during shoots (part of why i like this comic)... My exgf is an IG fitness model, and when i took her photos she always said that she didn't like to pose in shorts because of her "chicken legs" (that looked smokin' hot to me), and a friend of mine who worked in commercials said that she thought her face looked "kinda' meh"... she's making money with her face and she thinks it's "kinda' meh". /:)

Hell, a former Miss Colombia (Catalina Acosta) during her reign always said that her sister was the pretty one in the family, not her.

Reason and logic don't work in this turf. Like Chris Rock said once: "Every woman hates how she looks except big fat black women" B-)

BTW, a lot of billionaires complain about not having enough money, they just don't say it directly, but with actions.
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

Azrael wrote:Ah, Demon Alchohol. Work you subtle, seductive wiles once again. :ymdevil:
Azrael, Yes, it's very seductive stuff indeed. I just hope Domenico won't proceed to do the same to Sandra.
:-(

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I get the impression that Domenico compartmentalises business and pleasure - except with Zoé, which is why their relationship is an ongoing demolition derby. At heart, he'd know better than to seduce his work material.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

I would think Domenico wouldn't take Sandra's picture when she's in this state. Pretty sure, being drunk means you can't give consent.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Remember that Domenico sneaked into Sandra's room to take her picture while she was waking up.

Outright evil would probably be beneath him, but I don't think he'd worry much about ridiculous bourgeois concepts like "consent". Sandra is his model, his muse, the clay which he sculpts. A person, not so much.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

KittyHat

Post by KittyHat »

rogermart wrote:I'm a photographer and i've listened a lot of their issues during shoots (part of why i like this comic)... My exgf is an IG fitness model, and when i took her photos she always said that she didn't like to pose in shorts because of her "chicken legs" (that looked smokin' hot to me), and a friend of mine who worked in commercials said that she thought her face looked "kinda' meh"... she's making money with her face and she thinks it's "kinda' meh". /:)

Hell, a former Miss Colombia (Catalina Acosta) during her reign always said that her sister was the pretty one in the family, not her.

Reason and logic don't work in this turf. Like Chris Rock said once: "Every woman hates how she looks except big fat black women" B-)

BTW, a lot of billionaires complain about not having enough money, they just don't say it directly, but with actions.
Really, no one (man or woman) is an objective judge of himself or herself to begin with, and women are constantly under extraordinary social pressure vis-a-vis physical appearance. There's nothing strange about the result of those two things.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Exactly, that's why i say that logic and reason don't work in this turf, for me it's not strange now, but it was the first time i picked up a good camera and wanted to take some test photos of my friends, i thought they were going insane with their self-criticism... That's why i understand when Gotoh says it's not easy to buy, because i was in that same position when i was an amateur photographer...

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

BTW, not only Sandra was told she was plain all her life, she was a waitress with Desiree Chastel, i mean, freaking DIDI!!!

http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/a_decent_mood

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@rogermart: So what? Didi isn't the end-all be-all of womankind, even in-universe. Multiple characters have found other people more attractive than her. Alex has seen her and still thinks Sandra is hotter. Yuki saw Didi stark naked several times and was only impressed by her muscle tone, yet the sight of Zii changing her shirt got Yuki hot 'n bothered. And Gary chose Yuki and Kiley over Didi.

They aren't the only ones that come to mind, but my point is, being compared to Didi hardly makes Sandra or anyone else "plain". Nor has Sandra ever compared herself to Didi.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Gotoh, please look at my other posts... the last one i did focusing only on Sandra's issues, but the other ones are told from my experience as a photographer.

But answering to your statement that Sandra never compared herself to Didi, perhaps, but there are strips where she wishes she had her body (or at least her breasts), and is true that Alex likes Sandra better than Didi (or any other woman) but Sandra doesn't know that, she doesn't know about Yuki and Zii (or Sandra and Zii, or Yuki and Sandra) either, all she knows is while they were working at the restaurant, Didi received better tips, had more dates, etc. she saw the Didi effect every day, every shift, and that added to her body issues that were already there... And i'm not even counting the Sandra does Paris arc...

Sandra has body issues that began early in her life, continued as an adult and a little time modeling (i'm not sure how much time has passed in this comic) is not gonna remove them... Alcohol on the other hand... :D

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@rogermart: I'm not saying Sandra knew about Yuki and the others. My point was (and still is), being compared to Didi isn't the end of the world.

And what Didi does (the "Didi effect" as everyone here calls it) is nothing new. It's an established trope that's been done to death, especially in anime and manga. Cess & Laura got the same kind of attention as long as they were stacked. Once their boobs returned to normal, so did their status.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Obviously is an old trope... But what we're discussing here is what Sandra has in her head, and what can help us understand her is source material and the female mindset when it comes to looks, and as i said, being a photographer myself i've witnessed first hand how really hot women that live on their looks still punish themselves in the mirror a lot...

Part of the source material:

http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/accessories
http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/a_decent_mood
http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/gulk_gulk_gulk (in this one Didi mentions that Sandra is a cute female version of Archie and she goes straight to the bottle)
http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/plus_romantique (she automatically thinks that an orgy with Didi will mean none of the attention to her)
http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/makes_me_feel_better (3rd panel)
http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/that_way (she thinks that Didi is the most beautiful girl in all creation...)
http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/filet_mignon (...and Matt reassures that thought)

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@rogermart: It's been years since I last read Má3, so I had forgotten about most of those instances.

However, Didi didn't say she was plain. She told Sandra to think of herself as female "Archie", because Archie's a chick magnet, just as Sandra's a dude magnet. It was meant as a compliment. How Sandra failed to realize that is beyond me.

Point taken, even though I still find it hard to believe.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

True, Didi didn't say Sandra was plain, i think the only one in-comic that said it (besides herself) was Fabien, not even Zoey...

http://www.sandraontherocks.com/strips- ... oiled_clay

I found it hard to believe too... hell, i still want to say to some of the people i shoot "Are you f***ing insane???"