Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Eisu

2016-03-04 DO I EVEN HAVE A NAME?

Post by Eisu »

Cortez

Re: 2016-03-04 DO I EVEN HAVE A NAME?

Post by Cortez »

She literally couldn't be nice for 5 seconds.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Ouch. Harsh.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Cortez wrote:She literally couldn't be nice for 5 seconds.
It's ultimately the difference between Eva and Zoe. They both made up for comandeering other people's wardrobe, but Lavali didn't walk away hating Zoe the way Laure hates Eva. I hope she'll be back again. I think she's cute. ;)

Alexander Collins

Post by Alexander Collins »

Nemisis, goddess of revenge, give Laure the strength to destroy her new enemy!

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Laure doesn't make enough sense as a character to come back as an avenger. She just went along with Eva's demands without freaking out, or saying anything inconvenient, or running away - let alone reacting assertively. If we'd just seen Eva, say, casually bribing her with a wallet full of cash (which would be plausible enough - Eva's resources must be orders of magnitude greater than Laure's), then the story would have made more sense. Eva is exactly the sort of person who I could see thinking that money buys her the rights to unlimited rudeness. In fact, that's becoming my headcanon.

Meanwhile, well, this was a short meeting. Lavali had only just got there. I'd have thought that Eva would at least have thought that it was worth taking a few minutes to calm her down and fish for some initial data.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Who said she never fished for data? You're assuming the end of last strip and the beginning of this strip is instantaneous... hours could have passed... this is comics, after all.

As for Laure and Eva, I think Eva intimidating her with a look makes sense as well... models tend to have that power ^o^

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

It... it touched your pauper body! I hardly dare contemplate! :ymsick:
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Eisu wrote:Who said she never fished for data? You're assuming the end of last strip and the beginning of this strip is instantaneous... hours could have passed... this is comics, after all.
Fair enough, and that does make more sense. I was just assuming that if Lavali had said anything, she'd be saying "I can't remember any more" in that first panel there.
Eisu wrote:As for Laure and Eva, I think Eva intimidating her with a look makes sense as well... models tend to have that power
Well, they do in this comic...

By the way, I assumed that "Quess... Olivia?" was some kind of video game reference, but all Google gives me is some kind of speculation about Olivia Wilde playing a character from an online novel... A bit obscure, innit?
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

I think you might be reading too much into it. Pretty sure she's just venturing guesses at her own name, since she can't remember what it is at the moment.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I've shown in the past that randow gurgled noises in these comics actually had deliberate geek significance. I never believe any names mentioned round here are just random.
---------
Spidrift

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:Laure doesn't make enough sense as a character to come back as an avenger. She just went along with Eva's demands without freaking out, or saying anything inconvenient, or running away - let alone reacting assertively. If we'd just seen Eva, say, casually bribing her with a wallet full of cash (which would be plausible enough - Eva's resources must be orders of magnitude greater than Laure's), then the story would have made more sense. Eva is exactly the sort of person who I could see thinking that money buys her the rights to unlimited rudeness. In fact, that's becoming my headcanon.
How do you know this is the last time we'll see Laure? Paris seems to be as small a world as Montreal so I wouldn't be surprised if she was related to an established character. Keep in mind a certain bystander who was intimidated by DiDi is now a main character. It could happen.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

It could, but if it does, it hasn't been set up especially well. And frankly, the comic isn't terribly short of characters already.
---------
Spidrift

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

Wow. Even forgot for a second she was English.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:It could, but if it does, it hasn't been set up especially well. And frankly, the comic isn't terribly short of characters already.
I suppose there are enough supporting characters at this point, but she doesn't have to be a part of a major plot. When Zoe inevitably crushes Eva into the ground I can see Laure walking up to kick some dirt in her face. Perhaps she will take this incident as the push to so something important with her life and use the proceeds from selling that dress to fund it. If Eva should end up reduced to waiting tables it might be Laure who will be her next customer or worse yet her boss.