Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Eisu

2015-01-22 Everything is perfect

Post by Eisu »

Spidrift

Re: 2015-01-22 Everything is perfect

Post by Spidrift »

Ah, now there's a problem that requires a little imagination for a straight male to sympathise...

But does Marie snore?
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Udyr

Post by Udyr »

As far for this stereotype of Ingrid being swedish, i just have to point out, as a person whos scandinavian, her bad english and being swedish makes absolutely no sense considering sweden has a pretty decent schoolsystem where they learn pretty good english. Then again, she could be very dumb, i dont know. Alot of things dont make sense in comics :-?
eeeek!

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

But foreign accents are cuuuuuuute.

And anyway, as often in comics, her English is actually pretty good. She has a broad vocabulary and no problem understanding Marie. She just has the accent.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

They also, likely, just need a way to establish she has the accent, and doing the English in such a way, does that.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Udyr wrote:As far for this stereotype of Ingrid being swedish, i just have to point out, as a person whos scandinavian, her bad english and being swedish makes absolutely no sense considering sweden has a pretty decent schoolsystem where they learn pretty good english. Then again, she could be very dumb, i dont know. Alot of things dont make sense in comics :-?
It's probably the best way to convey she has a Swedish accent. I suppose a different font would work, but I'm not sure what would be most symbolic.

Seeing as how Ingrid will be living with Marie makes me think she's yet another character with conveniently absent parents.

Hogan

Post by Hogan »

Oh yes, this is Per-fect... from the point of the readers off course :D

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

brasca wrote:
Udyr wrote:As far for this stereotype of Ingrid being swedish, i just have to point out, as a person whos scandinavian, her bad english and being swedish makes absolutely no sense considering sweden has a pretty decent schoolsystem where they learn pretty good english. Then again, she could be very dumb, i dont know. Alot of things dont make sense in comics :-?
It's probably the best way to convey she has a Swedish accent. I suppose a different font would work, but I'm not sure what would be most symbolic.

Seeing as how Ingrid will be living with Marie makes me think she's yet another character with conveniently absent parents.
I was under the impression that Ingrid was over 18, even if Marie isn't. Age of consent is 15 in France, so Ingrid being in her 20's wouldn't have her out of place with Marie who is between 16-18 herself.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Ingrid has said that she's playing tourist round Europe. That presumably means that her parents are back home, an that she's old enough to travel alone without obvious legal hassles.
---------
Spidrift

brasca

Post by brasca »

JoybuzzerX wrote:
brasca wrote:

I was under the impression that Ingrid was over 18, even if Marie isn't. Age of consent is 15 in France, so Ingrid being in her 20's wouldn't have her out of place with Marie who is between 16-18 herself.
I'm not referring to consent. I'm referring to a complete stranger living in their house. Most parents would have a problem with that unless Marie's are conveniently absent like many of the parents in the Pixie Trix Comix. Of course Marie can always claim she's a foreign exchange student.

Asellus

Post by Asellus »

Udyr wrote:As far for this stereotype of Ingrid being swedish, i just have to point out, as a person whos scandinavian, her bad english and being swedish makes absolutely no sense considering sweden has a pretty decent schoolsystem where they learn pretty good english.
I notice you don't complain about the stereotype of Ingrid being from Sweden and being a stunning blonde beauty with a dynamite body and positive attitude towards sex?
Some stereotypes be better than others, maybe?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

GREAT SUCCESS!

Ingrid is Sister Sweden, it seems.

So now we need Brother Finnland to show up and threaten Alex with THE KNIFE! =))
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

So Marie now has a new room/bedmate. Too bad that's not the room/bedmate she really wants. Ah comedy.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

True_Avery

Post by True_Avery »

As long as she doesn't eat Surstromming in the room.
Play Kindred Spirits on the Roof! Play Starlight Vega! Play Ladykiller in a Bind!

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

Indeed, there's clearly not nearly enough yelling for authentic swenglish
Yet still, I live...