Mutant for Hire

Re: 2015-10-27 Learning a lot right now

Post by Mutant for Hire »

I really worry about Lavali now.

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

Can I ask a question?

What is with the morally loathsome characters on what is otherwise a light comedy strip? No really....previous "antagonists" were weird and quirky but not borderline sexual assault psychologically abusive elements (well....minus Tatiana who is a tasteless parody on bdsm). Is the strip turning into something else? Anyone else feeling it?

Varanus

Post by Varanus »

Most likely she'll turn out more harmless/incompetent than she appears. Right now she's Cerise levels of evil without any of the magic or willingness to commit murder, and we all saw how Cerise' actions ended up being rather unrealistically laughed off.

Quote removed. The DAMNed

brasca

Post by brasca »

Eloise seems more like the harmless/incompetent than Eva.
crimzontearz wrote:Can I ask a question?

What is with the morally loathsome characters on what is otherwise a light comedy strip? No really....previous "antagonists" were weird and quirky but not borderline sexual assault psychologically abusive elements (well....minus Tatiana who is a tasteless parody on bdsm). Is the strip turning into something else? Anyone else feeling it?
I seriously do not see how indifference over her boy toy's feelings equates borderline sexual assault. Armani can say no. He can walk away. If sex with her is that great that he is willing to perform oral sex on another man then that is his choice.

I do worry about where this could lead, but seeing as how Lavali's self esteem could not get any lower this might actually be good for her. Since this is a light hearted strip I cannot see Eva destroying her, but it is quite possible that she might inadvertently make her a more assertive woman. Of course the Frankenstein trope has it's drawback since I like Lavali and don't want her to become someone like Eva or Senna.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Yep, I can see it already; the nice cutie Lavali gets broken by Eva and becomes not so nice anymore. Of course, as pointed out above, this is a comedy strip so it's more likely we'll see Eva's plotting fail hilariously and even spectacularly, leaving Lavali relatively untouched, or even better off, with a new girlfriend or something like that out of the deal.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

ThePonyGuy

Post by ThePonyGuy »

I'm not gonna cry. It's sad, but it's not that sad.

I'm not gonna cry.

I'm not gonna cry.

I think I'm gonna cry.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:I do worry about where this could lead, but seeing as how Lavali's self esteem could not get any lower this might actually be good for her. Since this is a light hearted strip I cannot see Eva destroying her, but it is quite possible that she might inadvertently make her a more assertive woman. Of course the Frankenstein trope has it's drawback since I like Lavali and don't want her to become someone like Eva or Senna.
Plus, note that Eva isn't actually setting out to destroy Lavali. I mean, sure, she could do that as a side-effect, and she obviously doesn't give a wet slap about the risk of Lavali becoming collateral damage, but she actually just wants a spy in Zoé's camp -- which suggests that she's likely to spin things out with Lavali for a while, rather than crush her at the first opportunity.

Also, given that Zoé will become involved eventually, and that Zoé has a conscience that can be detected by sufficiently sensitive instruments, one can foresee her making some effort to help Lavali get over the damage caused by her dumb fashion industry feuds. Actually, if Sandra happens to mention "Lavali's new girlfriend Eva" in Zoé's earshot, we might see Zoé leading the cavalry to her rescue.

As to Eva being more blatantly flat-out evil than most of the antagonists in these comics -- I think it's clear that Dave01 writes a bit more ... cartoony ... than Giz. So his villains can be more flamboyantly cartoon villains, and his heroes are likely to bounce back like rubber.

And as to Lavali becoming hardened -- note that she's never actually been a wimp. She stood up to Zoé once she got her stuff together, and her row with her last girlfriend showed more than a little fire. She's currently badly intimidated by Eva's concentrated blast of seduction, but it's possible that she'll work out the truth for herself over time, and end up more angry than broken.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

knite

Post by knite »

Feels like she's gonna reveal her jerk of a self

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

crimzontearz wrote:Can I ask a question?

Yeah, it's finally becoming really good! :ymdevil:

And, as everyone except Spi seems to be forgetting, it's written by DaveZero1. And we all know he is evil incarnate. :ymsmug:

Anyway, I'm sure that in the end, Eva will fail, Lavali will be stronger for it, and Sandra will be on the rocks again.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Either Eisu's new art style is evolving, or it's finally starting to grow on me, 'cuz I really like the expressions in this one (especially panels 2 and 3). Then again, it took me awhile to warm up to Cassandra's style to, when she first took over art duties for MC.

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

Isn't Eva awful? She grins just like a shark. :-?

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Plot Twist: Eva actually finds she likes Lavali

Lav is a complete patsy but she's a likable patsy

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

BlairFan wrote:Isn't Eva awful? She grins just like a shark. :-?

Eva the Knife? :p
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

@Azrael, yes, I do believe I will call Eva that nickname, now that she's back in town.
;)