2015-10-06 Any special lady in your life

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Spidrift

Re: 2015-10-06 Any special lady in your life

Post by Spidrift »

Well no, the Eva matter is really unrelated to this. If Lavali had shown more spine, she'd have taken a deep breath and disregarded Aaina's doe eyes. Sometimes, it takes courage to hurt the ones you like, because the alternative is worse.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Lavali is getting over a bad break up and she fancies Aaina are understandable reasons for being spineless in this instance. If you have the courage to hurt the ones you like in a similar situation then good for you and how did that work out?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I've never been in the exact same situation, but I've been in worse. Telling people that, for example, a family member has just died is no fun, but sometimes it's just the way things are. (It worked out about as well as you'd expect, thanks.) Lavali chickened out of breaking bad news for understandable reasons, but she's also been letting things get worse since. It's comedy, but it's comedy about somebody having made a bad choice and not fixing the problem.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

we all hurt someone else at some points in our life, especially the people we like and love. learning how and when to do so is part of growing up.

but even if we assume lavali just doesn't quite have the balls to rip that particular bandaid off, she should still have explained the situation to sandra.
Yet still, I live...

brasca

Post by brasca »

Yes and that all sounds well and good in our minds, but in practice it is a whole lot harder to do. And there really is no way of knowing how we would handle such a situation. You can claim all you want that you would rip off that band aid or be blunt, but I have no way of knowing that and you have no way of proving it.

I sympathize with Lavali because speaking hard truths is tough when you risk upsetting a person you like.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Cortez wrote:
LarsenSan wrote:I fear that when Aaina finds that Sandra is straight the result is not going to be pretty :-s
Except Sandra isn't all that straight and she did almost hook up with Cammi while sober.
I think we all need to pay more attention to Cortez's post here. Sandra's sexuality seems to be more...flexible than many of us may think. She almost got it on with DiDi, and almost gave in to Cammi in the shower. A truly 100% straight woman would have generally avoided both situations like the plague (she would never have gotten in the shower with Cammi in the first place, for example). So Aaina may actually have a shot, which makes it all for the best that Lavali never said anything (which she may be about to find out). By the time Sandra finishes explaining the Cammi shower situation, Lavali will likely be thinking she's lesbian, or at least bi.
Last edited by themacnut on Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

LarsenSan

Post by LarsenSan »

Cortez wrote:
LarsenSan wrote:I fear that when Aaina finds that Sandra is straight the result is not going to be pretty :-s
Except Sandra isn't all that straight and she did almost hook up with Cammi while sober.
You again?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The Kickstarter bonus story covered a lot of this. At present, Drunk-Sandra is (sexually) a really, really different person to Sober-Sandra. Or rather, drink unlocks a lot of sexual complexities in Sandra - but also simplifies her moral judgement, reducing her to something borderline-sociopathic, quite capable of sacrificing a long-term friendship for the lolz.

The shower scene with Cammi involved some of those complexities pushing close to the surface even though she was sober, but it took Cammi to accomplish that, and even then it only lasted for a few seconds. I can't see Aaina bringing out that side of Sandra very easily.
---------
Spidrift

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

brasca wrote:Yes and that all sounds well and good in our minds, but in practice it is a whole lot harder to do. And there really is no way of knowing how we would handle such a situation. You can claim all you want that you would rip off that band aid or be blunt, but I have no way of knowing that and you have no way of proving it.

I sympathize with Lavali because speaking hard truths is tough when you risk upsetting a person you like.
So do I. Nevertheless, whether or not any of us would be able to give somebody the unvarnished truth is kind of irrelevant, as is the argument that she had good reasons. Sure, it's hard when you know it'll upset someone dear to you if you say something they don't want to hear, I get it, but that hardly changes the fact that she's in this situation because she waited for the other boot to drop and didn't tell Aaina that Sandra is straight/potentially some stripe of bisexual after copious alcohol consumption.

I mean, I would want to know if the lady I was flirting with was not interested in men. It wouldn't be fun (and wasn't on the occasion it happened in real life, although she only realised it afterwards and not before) but being led on and then finding the truth out later would hurt even more.

And for those of you who say, "There wouldn't be any point, because Aaina wouldn't believer her/accuse her of being a jealous liar," etc, I have only one thing to say. If that had actually happened (which can't be either proven or disproven) and she still ended up in this position, then it and what will inevitably happen in the future wouldn't be her fault, at least, because she'd told the truth and gotten ignored/villified for it. Aaina would then be solely responsible for her own impending misery, having been told to-her-face that Sandra probably wouldn't be interested and tried to seduce her anyway.
Spidrift wrote:The Kickstarter bonus story covered a lot of this. At present, Drunk-Sandra is (sexually) a really, really different person to Sober-Sandra. Or rather, drink unlocks a lot of sexual complexities in Sandra - but also simplifies her moral judgement, reducing her to something borderline-sociopathic, quite capable of sacrificing a long-term friendship for the lolz.

The shower scene with Cammi involved some of those complexities pushing close to the surface even though she was sober, but it took Cammi to accomplish that, and even then it only lasted for a few seconds. I can't see Aaina bringing out that side of Sandra very easily.
I remember reading those strips and thinking, "This isn't going to end in shower-aided sexytimes. It just isn't." As covered, that turned out to be correct -- but whereas I assumed it would be Sandra not-feeling the Stupid Sexy Flanders that I'm sure affected her during her date with DiDi, in fact it was her existing relationship with Pierre that shot down Cammi's aspirations to have a red-haired girlfriend/friend with benefits/whatever. (Let's face it, having shower sex with someone else [even if it was Cammi :ymblushing:] would be cheating on him; I am reminded of the play from Ch. 2 of MÀ3 for some reason...) I expect the deal-breaker will involve her already being taken in this situation as well.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

LegendaryKroc wrote:And for those of you who say, "There wouldn't be any point, because Aaina wouldn't believer her/accuse her of being a jealous liar," etc, I have only one thing to say. If that had actually happened (which can't be either proven or disproven) and she still ended up in this position, then it and what will inevitably happen in the future wouldn't be her fault, at least, because she'd told the truth and gotten ignored/villified for it. Aaina would then be solely responsible for her own impending misery, having been told to-her-face that Sandra probably wouldn't be interested and tried to seduce her anyway.
Sure, realistically, you'd think Lavali would've told Sandra that Aina is interested in hooking up with her and let Sandra clear things up with Aina, herself. Or, she just could've told Aina that Sandra has a boyfriend. But she didn't.

However, I'd hardly say she's spineless. The problem is her capacity for rational thought goes AWOL any time someone she's attracted to pays any attention to her.