2015-10-02 boyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

brasca

Re: 2015-10-02 boyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Post by brasca »

LegendaryKroc wrote:Ayup. Lovably dim. Hopefully Gary will grow out of that spineless doormat thing. Maybe not within the scope of the comic's lifetime, but maybe sometime in the distant future, he could be a real charming, confident guy (doesn't sound all that like the Gary we know, does it?),
Who needs Gary when you have Lavali. She's my favorite in this comic, but she is sadly a Gary with blond hair and an XX chromosome.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Spidrift wrote:
Tako wrote:Sandra may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but she's easily the most likeable character in the menagea3-verse. Most others are either very selfish people who care only for their own sexual/romantic needs or spineless doormats.
Do bear in mind that she has a record as a boyfriend-stealing drunken brawler. We've seen more of her nicer side lately in her own comic, but she isn't a saint.

Me, I'm still on Team Ruby. As I'm sure that people will be stunned to learn. And I still have a soft spot for Kiley, too. Heck, I find Sonya "likeable", in that I like her. Wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw her one-handed, but she has flair. Or there's Jung, or Marie, or Tracy...

But actually, the real point is that these characters aren't built to be "likeable", or even sane. They do sexy, funny, and reasonably interesting.
I don't recall her ever stealing a boyfriend. I remember her being lied to by Matt and not knowing Matt had a boyfriend. When did we see her steal a boyfriend?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:Who needs Gary when you have Lavali. She's my favorite in this comic, but she is sadly a Gary with blond hair and an XX chromosome.
She's a bit more together and proactive. Can you imagine Gary giving Zoé a dressing-down, even at the second attempt, like Lavali did? She's talked herself into a stupid corner here, but this is a specific situation.
JoybuzzerX wrote:I don't recall her ever stealing a boyfriend. I remember her being lied to by Matt and not knowing Matt had a boyfriend. When did we see her steal a boyfriend?
She may not have stolen Matt deliberately, but her speech to Dillon at the play was pure, I-got-him-you-didn't, nyah-nyah-nyah contempt. She chose to gloat about getting Matt rather than blame him for his lies.

Admittedly, I can't blame anyone for showing contempt for early-model Dillon - but still, she did the job.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Osaru Sensei
Location: Sweden, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Post by Osaru Sensei »

Boy, is this getting increasingly cringe-worthy for every new strip.
Spidrift wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:16 pm
She is indeed a wonderful artist who could doubtless turn her hand to anything, but from what I've seen, I don't get the feeling that she's very interested in depicting some of those bits in all their wrinkly Lovecraftian glory.
Wanna chat with me in realtime? Click my webpage button. In case I happen to be online, anyways...
He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it. –– Eldrad Ulthran, Farseer of Ulthwé
The very moment I understood Callie was my fav character.
High Priestess in the Church of Brasca

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Lavali's expression in panel two is golden and it seems like it helped jog Sandra's memory.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

I'm just waiting for Aaina to make a blatant move on Sandra. Let's see the redhead try squirming outta that one. Especially if no one breaks out the alcohol.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

the thing of it is that even if lavali doesn't have the lez-balls to clarify the situation to aaina, she could very easily have explained it to sandra, who would then almost certainly try to help redirect aaina's interest toward lavali.

it would still backfire completely, because you know: comedy.
Yet still, I live...

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

The thing is, Sandra is coming across as more of a lesbian every minute this goes on. Lavali knows better, but Aaina doesn't and no one is telling her otherwise. So as the night progresses and everyone gets more comfortable with each other, Aaina may get emboldened enough to make a unambiguous move on Sandra. We may get to see how good sober Sandra is at squirming out of tight situations. If a bottle of spirits comes out during the night though, anything could happen.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

tityanya

Post by tityanya »

Aaina looks really cute in her individual panel! Also good save, Sandra.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

themacnut wrote:The thing is, Sandra is coming across as more of a lesbian every minute this goes on. Lavali knows better, but Aaina doesn't and no one is telling her otherwise. So as the night progresses and everyone gets more comfortable with each other, Aaina may get emboldened enough to make a unambiguous move on Sandra. We may get to see how good sober Sandra is at squirming out of tight situations. If a bottle of spirits comes out during the night though, anything could happen.
This could be the conversation that actually has Aaina start to realize, but then I think about it and I think they won't go that route :p

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

themacnut wrote:The thing is, Sandra is coming across as more of a lesbian every minute this goes on. Lavali knows better, but Aaina doesn't and no one is telling her otherwise. So as the night progresses and everyone gets more comfortable with each other, Aaina may get emboldened enough to make a unambiguous move on Sandra. We may get to see how good sober Sandra is at squirming out of tight situations. If a bottle of spirits comes out during the night though, anything could happen.
We already have seen sober Sandra in a situation like this with Cammi. She almost went through with it until she remembered she was seeing someone.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

That was Sandra being hit full force by Cammi's seductive abilities, though. That one scene aside, Sober Sandra tends to hetero - and Aaina's may have great looks, but she doesn't have Cammi's charisma.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

But if she was completely hetero, Cammi's seductive charisma wouldn't have worked. There's something there, even when sober.

But you're right in that Aaina isn't as skilled as Cammi.

OldBrit

Post by OldBrit »

If she were completely hetero, she would still be hetero when drunk - and a danger to the men, not the ladies.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Which part of "tends to" was insufficiently ambiguous?
---------
Spidrift