2015-09-08 Couldn't possibly impose

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Eisu

2015-09-08 Couldn't possibly impose

Post by Eisu »

Gave up on the catching up thing, schedule's too busy, so skipped to latest date!

http://www.sandraontherocks.com/strips- ... bly_impose

Spidrift

Re: 2015-09-08 Couldn't possibly impose

Post by Spidrift »

Evidently Anette neglected to warn Aaina...

Poor Lavali. Oh well, I'm sure that Eva will actuvate Phase 2 of her cunning plan sometime soon. And actually, poor Aaina; she seems to have fallen quite hard for our favourite stressed-out binge drinker.

Like the art here, by the way, except that yhe "tear track" art convention just doesn't work for me.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

Are you changing your art style Eisu? I like today's comic, the characters just look slightly different.

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Is... it... just.... not apparent from the previous updates? I've changed my style quite a while ago...

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

poor Sandra, some would sat if only her mortal enemies could feel same way as Aaina

but would that be too much?
ImageImage

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

She's like Catnip... For Lesbians

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@Abraxas: 'Girls Bravo' reference, I presume? :p

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

And bisexuals if we remember Cammi.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:Evidently Anette neglected to warn Aaina...

Poor Lavali. Oh well, I'm sure that Eva will actuvate Phase 2 of her cunning plan sometime soon. And actually, poor Aaina; she seems to have fallen quite hard for our favourite stressed-out binge drinker.

Like the art here, by the way, except that yhe "tear track" art convention just doesn't work for me.
It is an expression of exaggerated sadness which makes more sense than large sweat drops that denote embarrassment. It would require far more detailed artwork for Lavali to look like she is pretending to be happy when deep down she is heartbroken. I do not know why since Lavali has Eva's number. I would think she'd have called by now, but maybe she is playing hard to get.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I'm really not enough of a manga fan to have internalised these conventions. They tend just to look silly to me, and the tear tracks look especially weird and unrealistic. An artist as good as Eisu can depict sadness - which is all that's needed here - without this sort of artificiality.

As to Lavali - I get the impression that, despite her active previous love life, she doesn't feel terribly confident about the subtleties of dating and relationships and when it's okay to call. One imagines her past girlfriends always taking the lead. And while she may have most of her hopes pinned on Eva, that doesn't mean that she has to like it when an attractive woman like Aaina all but ignores her and fixates on someone else. I doubt that she's heartbroken, but this is another small kick in the face for her self-confidence.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Lokitsu wrote:Are you changing your art style Eisu? I like today's comic, the characters just look slightly different.
*pet pets*

:P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Schmorgluck

Post by Schmorgluck »

Spidrift wrote:I'm really not enough of a manga fan to have internalised these conventions. They tend just to look silly to me, and the tear tracks look especially weird and unrealistic. An artist as good as Eisu can depict sadness - which is all that's needed here - without this sort of artificiality.
I agree he certainly can, but I think the point of using this specific convention is for the resulting strip to be goofy and comedic instead of, you know, sad. Because if you examine the turn of events realistically (which is not recommended for any comedic work), Lavali's situation is actually quite tragic.
Spidrift wrote:You are the perpetual target of your cat's libido. But quite politely.

boredsilly

Post by boredsilly »

Considering how drunk Sandra was at their last meeting, I'm surprised she remembers Aaina at all.

cellabella

Post by cellabella »

I still don't get it. I get that it's her comic, but are freckled redheads that much of a rarity in Paris that almost everyone who crosses Sandra's path ever falls irrevocably in love with her? And while I'm aware that Tatiana (and Eva and Pierre's blond cousin whatshername) seems to hate her, I'm also very aware of what's going on in the Ma3-verse vis a vis the Sonya/Yuki stuff, so all bets are off.

I mean, Aaina, to me, is by far the most stunning woman who has showed up in the comic so far. The only character design I like better than hers from Eisu is Senna's. I know Lavali sort of spit the bit when Aaina questioned her on Sandra's availability at the club, but Sandra could not look any more disinterested here. It's just getting weird to me how Sandra's hair and freckles seem to be some passkey to the libidos of nearly everyone in this comic. :-\

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Not trying to be condescending here cellabella, so I hope you don't take it that way; but just because freckled redheads may not be your type doesn't mean others won't feel differently. Besides, I get the impression it's more than just Sandra's looks that get her attention; Aaina first met Sandra, IIRC, when she was practically falling down drunk at a party. While many people would find that highly unattractive, Aaina seemed to see it as part of Sandra's fun and party-loving nature, I'll bet Aaina likes to tie one on herself when she really lets her hair down. In any case, Sandra seems to have made a great first impression on Aaina, while poor Lavali got a bad case of the tongue-tieds that same night, which rarely helps make a good impression. Like the old saying goes, you never get a second chance...
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard