2015-07-28 Google is for the weak

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

themacnut

Re: 2015-07-28 Google is for the weak

Post by themacnut »

Spidrift wrote:But given the number of models who emerge from Russia, driven by a grim determination to get the hell out of there, she ought to be more careful with her treatment of Sandra; it might just work as a training and motivation regime.
I thought that was part of the point of Tatiana's treatment of Sandra. That, and torturing her for giggles.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

That's Tatiana's excuse, but remember that she wants to get rid of Sandra, preferably by breaking her. The possibility that Sandra is strong enough that the regime of discipline might actually work wouldn't cross her mind.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Pier777

Post by Pier777 »

That apron with the broken sad egg is cracking me up (OH! Pun-intended!... after I typed it :P ). I would so buy that!

Robbzilla

Post by Robbzilla »

wiseguy wrote:ha Taitiana

in Russia they use Yandex
Came here to say this.

...of course, Yahoo makes more sense to the casual western reader than Yandex.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Has Tatiana been taking lessons in cultural accuracy from Pavel Chekhov?
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Nuclear wessels??

Also, since I'm feeling like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRsiwBoUQPM

And, yes, Yandex was the first thought I had upon finishing the comic...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Robbzilla wrote:...of course, Yahoo makes more sense to the casual western reader than Yandex.
We used Yahoo exactly for this reason. Taking time to either a) explain what Yandex is or b) have the readers look or search to find out what Yandex is would kill the joke.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Don Alexander wrote:Nuclear wessels??
I was mostly thinking about how he kept saying how Russia invented things like quatrotriticale...which was actually from Canada.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

Eisu wrote:
Robbzilla wrote:...of course, Yahoo makes more sense to the casual western reader than Yandex.
We used Yahoo exactly for this reason. Taking time to either a) explain what Yandex is or b) have the readers look or search to find out what Yandex is would kill the joke.
that is true(for us readers), but it also works to possibly show that Tati actually moved to western Europe when she was 7 years old or less so she never had experience with actual Russian sites, or far more likely she either had no access to web or had no interest in computers when young as we should remember she was surprised by how many hits Sandra got after the video game heroine gig and Sandra mentioning her personal site, showing not much experience in the web
ImageImage

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

If Tatiana thinks living in Russia is so wonderful, why does she live in France?? Harumph!!!
;)

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

don't think she says "Russia living is more pleasant than France"

she is saying Russia living gives you more toughness and does not make you "wimpy"
ImageImage

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

BlairFan wrote:If Tatiana thinks living in Russia is so wonderful, why does she live in France?? Harumph!!!
;)
La mission civilisatrice.

Alternatively, Domenico.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Hogan

Post by Hogan »

Cortez wrote:Not sure being ex KGB is plausible though.
Also... they would have been too weak for her...

brasca

Post by brasca »

wiseguy wrote:
Eisu wrote:
that is true(for us readers), but it also works to possibly show that Tati actually moved to western Europe when she was 7 years old or less so she never had experience with actual Russian sites, or far more likely she either had no access to web or had no interest in computers when young as we should remember she was surprised by how many hits Sandra got after the video game heroine gig and Sandra mentioning her personal site, showing not much experience in the web
When Sandra and Tatiana first moved in together I mentioned that the former might adapt to low income living better than the latter and still think it could be true. Sandra was waiting tables in Montreal when first introduced while Tatiana is the executive assistant for a famous photographer. For all of her posturing Tatiana might be from a nouveau riche Russian family and pretends that she had it rough while Sandra actually had it worse. I do not think Tatiana is any heartier just because Russia is cold since Canada is not much different in the winter. Moreover, if they ever visited Tatiana's home I think Sandra would make fast friends as soon as she put down a bottle of vodka while Tatiana would pass out after one sip.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

All that logic is perfectly good - except that Tatiana is clearly handling this situation better. Sandra is sweet, but she is a rather self-indulgent person, whereas whatever Tatiana's background may be, she has the self-discipline of a crazed obsessive. Sandra enjoys luxuries when she can afford them; Tatiana is nuts, but she isn't spoiled.

Not saying that Sandra won't make it; she has her own strengths. But she'll whine comedically along the way.
---------
Spidrift