Kickstarter Bonus Strip

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Spidrift

Kickstarter Bonus Strip

Post by Spidrift »

Well, we now have the Kickstarter bonus PDF out to backers. Woo! Sandra acquires a bit more back-story and depth, and even some self-awareness! And we get a mystery ending, which I hope will be resolved some time.

One does wonder what Sandra studied in college, and if she's ever tried to make use of her education. But it's Isabelle Trépanier who I really feel for, to the point of mood whiplash (second time today); I keep thinking "I hope that she was alright in the end". She didn't look alright when last seen, and that incident was down to Sandra...
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

wiseguy

Re: Kickstarter Bonus Strip

Post by wiseguy »

she is kind of fine.............just that now she stalks Zii'

I was surprised that she is blond, I actually thought she was naturally black hair
ImageImage

LonestarF1

Post by LonestarF1 »

Of the three bonus stories, this one seems to be the most important, story wise. Lots of character moments, and even kinda dark and sad. I dug it a lot.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Agreed. The Ma3 story was fun, but it was basically "Fan service? Here's ya fan service for the year, pal!", and the SDB story was simply a magnification of the picture of Ruby's new state of mind we were already getting from the comic (with some cute art). But this one actually explains something about Sandra, and makes her booze habit a somewhat serious issue rather than an erratic running joke.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

brasca

Post by brasca »

LonestarF1 wrote:Of the three bonus stories, this one seems to be the most important, story wise. Lots of character moments, and even kinda dark and sad. I dug it a lot.
Agreed, but T Campbell wrote it so I am not all that surprised that one of these stories would actually have an emotional punch to it. He has been doing this to me since 2008.
Spidrift wrote: One does wonder what Sandra studied in college, and if she's ever tried to make use of her education.
Perhaps it was some generic liberal arts degree that is good for getting hired by employers looking for college educated people without any specific discipline. As such she might have taken a job waiting tables until she could find something she wanted to do at an entry level position.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

...But never got there, apparently. I get the impression that she's mid-20s, but still waiting tables.
brasca wrote:...T Campbell wrote it ...
Hold on - my copy clearly says "Written by David Lumsdon, Edited by T Campbell."

Double post merged. The DAMNed
---------
Spidrift

brasca

Post by brasca »

I stand corrected. I should have looked more closely at the title page, but it was an easy enough mistake to make. This strip has been a lighthearted affair up until now, but Campbell's work always packs these kind of emotional punches and depth.

Bravo to David Lumsdon I found this story quite touching and hope we will have more development in the future.

Quote removed. The DAMNed

TCampbell

Post by TCampbell »

Well, I appreciate the compliments, Brasca, but yeah, Dave really deserves full marks for this script. Sometimes I can be an active enough editor that a few of my ideas become part of the story, but this one is almost exactly as Dave gave it to us.

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

Well I certainly enjoyed it. It's funny answers a few questions and raises a few more.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Gion

Post by Gion »

brasca wrote:Perhaps it was some generic liberal arts degree that is good for getting hired by employers looking for college educated people without any specific discipline. As such she might have taken a job waiting tables until she could find something she wanted to do at an entry level position.
Do you mean to say that she perhaps got a glorified high school diploma? Because that's what a generic liberal arts degree is, and it isn't "good" for getting you hired by anybody. More people need to tell kids that as they're wrapping up high school.