2015-05-12 Lesbeans ruuuuuule!

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Re: 2015-05-12 Lesbeans ruuuuuule!

Post by Artemisia »

Osaru Sensei wrote:Well, Sandra doesn't actually have a girlfriend, so from a certain point of view Lavali is telling the truth.

However, as a great man once said, a lie of omission is still a lie.
"You will find that many of the truths we cling to depend upon your point of view."

---------------------------------

I think we're at one of those points where I'm not sure how much Lavali actually knows about Sandra.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

HylianBelmont wrote:How hard is it to say she's straight, or better yet has a boyfriend?
Faced with those puppy-dog eyes? Too damned hard, it appears.
TheResult wrote:Also, is it just me, or does Sandra seem to approach Lesbianism as if it's somehow less serious than a heterosexual relationship?
Honestly, Sandra is just a rather trivial person, most of the time. Kind of sweet, but seriously lacking in seriousness. She's not guaranteed to bring much gravitas to anything.

(Her being a comedy character may be a factor here.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Gargravarr

Post by Gargravarr »

"Additional: Our biggest enemy is going space-crazy through loneliness. The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes."

TheResult

Post by TheResult »

Spidrift wrote:Honestly, Sandra is just a rather trivial person, most of the time. Kind of sweet, but seriously lacking in seriousness. She's not guaranteed to bring much gravitas to anything.

(Her being a comedy character may be a factor here.)
I'm not really sure if "she's just being her usual, silly self" is really an apropos defense for "she may have an offensive approach to homosexual relationships", you know?

Like, I don't feel as though that would add to the comedy.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I'm not seeking to defend Sandra. She doesn't need me defending her; she's lines on paper. I'm merely seeking to explain her characterisation as I understand it.

It's doubtless offensive to almost anything to treat it as trivial. But if someone treats everything as trivial, well, they're going to be offensive to a lot of people, aren't they?
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

wilddeath

Post by wilddeath »

cellabella wrote: so she's not going to cockblock.
As i have been told many times by my female friends the correct terminology in this instance would be twatswat

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Box block. :P
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

kitty block

and Lavali just could not hurt Aaina after seeing her almost sad eyes

BTW Zii "cheating" was all in her mind, I feel sure Eric would have allowed Zii to see Gfs if she had asked him............. they broke up because she lied, not because she was with another girl in itself
ImageImage

brasca

Post by brasca »

cellabella wrote:Hmm. I seem to recall another woman in the Ma3 verse who had a boyfriend, went out, got drunk and ended up with her face in a female someone's crotch. :/ Yes, Zii is openly bi, but she makes no secret of it. I think that is where people who are coming down on Lavali are being a mite too rough.

Lavali does not know Sandra that well. To this point, Alex and Claire spent the most time with her. And in the past, Lavali has seen Sandra getting down and dirty on the dance floor with women, plus Cammi openly lusted for Sandra in front of her. For all Lavali knows, Sandra is bi, or exploring her sexuality. Yes, she has a boyfriend. So did Zii. And Zii ended up cheating on him with Sonya. How does Lavali know that Sandra won't decide "Oh screw the bf, lesbeans are AWESOME!" and take Aaina home? We the readers know she probably wouldn't do that to Pierre, but Lavali doesn't know that.

That said, Lavali probably should have said something like "You know, I don't know Sandra that well, but she mentioned having a boyfriend ... *shrug*," and let Aaina take matters into her own hands if she wanted to pursue things. My guess is that Lavali doesn't want to come off as bitter than Aaina's not interested in her, and she does feel as if she owes Sandra for getting her out of the house, so she's not going to cockblock.

Oh and speaking of Pierre, my guess is that his cousin and her girlfriend are going to make an appearance in this arc at some point.
Agreed and I would also add that Lavali is getting over a breakup and seems introverted so her interaction is bound to be clumsy. Telling the whole truth would probably help her chances since she is definitely smitten with Aaina, but she seems like someone who does not want to disappoint.

Ecchi-Spud
Wielder of the Remote

Post by Ecchi-Spud »

=(( :((

Lavali needs a hug.
Many thanks to Raamyah for the avvie!!!!

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

She can just move to Vermont... :)
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

nottere

Post by nottere »

Okay, I can't see where she Lavali thought that was a good idea. Even if she is crushing on this new girl, Sandra's straight and taken. Even if lying made this wallflower happy for now, she's goingto get hurt, and Lavali's going to look like a dick for letting her think she has a chance with Sandra when she obviously doesn't. Maybe if Lavali grew a spine and said something, SHE'D have a chance at turning this chick's head. : /

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

She should tell Aaina the truth, but even if she did, I think she'd have to write this one off. Grabbing someone on the rebound looks tacky at the best of times, and doing so when you were the bearer of bad news looks slightly worse - and I doubt that Lavali wants to feel like a sleazy opportunist, even if Aaina fell for it. Plus, Aaina said explicitly last strip that she just isn't attracted to Lavali.
---------
Spidrift

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

wilddeath wrote:
cellabella wrote: so she's not going to cockblock.
As i have been told many times by my female friends the correct terminology in this instance would be twatswat
I thought it was 'clamjam'.

gwtheyrn

Post by gwtheyrn »

Oye. Some folks taking this light-hearted strip a wee too seriously.

Never thought Sandra was terribly attractive looking (despite having a weakness for freckly red-heads) until that first panel. Aye chihuahua! Something drawn differently about here there. I think it's the eyes.