2015-05-08 Shaky and nervous

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Spidrift

Re: 2015-05-08 Shaky and nervous

Post by Spidrift »

Ah, the reason for this pairing not to work that we forgot about...

And Sandra is demonstrating some of the same problems as a wing-girl that Zii demonstrated to Gary. But what's with people in these comics all falling for flamboyant extroverts, despite the fact that flamboyant extroverts are annoying and hard work? (Answer: They're mostly under 30.)

Also, kudos to Eisu for the frenzied catch-up process - especially as it's nice to have something to read on the Pixietrix site while Giz is down at the library.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

It's probably because Sandra seems fun to be around. She is out there dancing with everyone.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Sure, flamboyant extroverts are fun to be around - though sometimes one wishes to control the dosage. The mistake is going from there to being personally, erotically infatuated with them. It's a dumb elementary error, made by seemingly sensible characters like Erik and Jerzy.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Right, but when going clubbing, it's not odd to see why someone would flock to an extrovert.

Hogan

Post by Hogan »

Don Alexander wrote:
Anyway, now Lavali can strike back by informing Aaina that Sandra is straight! :P
Aw, come on? A straight , honest and direct answer? What universe ars YOU from? :o

... not the Menage a Tree, thats for sure :D

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

cellabella wrote:Ok, I'm starting to side-eye this a bit.

Red hair and freckles can't be that exotic in France? Why is Sandra being treated like some sort of demigoddess?
Depends on the part of France, really. Plus, red hair is pretty rare overall even in Scotland and Ireland.

Of course, having red hair doesn't necessarily mean that someone is going to be treated like a demigoddess...
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

KittyHat

Post by KittyHat »

You guys are way overthinking this.

It's a comic first, so Rule of Funny applies (Brian Clevinger once said of 8-bit Theater that "funny trumps continuity"). Lavali has to get shot down here because it's the unexpected twist and because of the irony involved in their going out "cruising for girls" for Lavali, only to have Sandra wind up accidentally attracting them all.

In Ma3, there were different situations going on, and Sandra didn't need to be the "chick magnet" she has become in her own comic because there simply wasn't any particular Rule of Funny angle to it.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Spidrift wrote:Ah, the reason for this pairing not to work that we forgot about...

And Sandra is demonstrating some of the same problems as a wing-girl that Zii demonstrated to Gary. But what's with people in these comics all falling for flamboyant extroverts, despite the fact that flamboyant extroverts are annoying and hard work? (Answer: They're mostly under 30.)

Also, kudos to Eisu for the frenzied catch-up process - especially as it's nice to have something to read on the Pixietrix site while Giz is down at the library.
I thought there was an option I'd forgotten about...

I can see the parellels on the wing-girl thing, but at least Sandra has the excuse that she is, so far as I can tell, unaware of her nigh-memetic appeal, and her drunkeness makes for some allowance. As for the falling for flamboyant extroverts? Well, it's sort of like the saying, "A nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live here," only applied to knowing a person. I'd maybe ask Zii to go for a drink and accept an offer to sleep with her, but I wouldn't let her bunk with me or be my roommate. She's demonstrated in the past that such a thing is inadvisable.
KittyHat wrote:You guys are way overthinking this.

It's a comic first, so Rule of Funny applies (Brian Clevinger once said of 8-bit Theater that "funny trumps continuity"). Lavali has to get shot down here because it's the unexpected twist and because of the irony involved in their going out "cruising for girls" for Lavali, only to have Sandra wind up accidentally attracting them all.

In Ma3, there were different situations going on, and Sandra didn't need to be the "chick magnet" she has become in her own comic because there simply wasn't any particular Rule of Funny angle to it.
It may be a comic, but that doesn't mean it has to run on improbable-occurence gags and a-wizard-did-it logic at every given opportunity. I know that it doesn't right now - Eisu just explained how it happened - and besides, even the most totally nonsensical, whimsical farce can have method in its madness.

As for that last one? That, and MA3's humour is of a different stripe - namely, nudity and sex jokes feature in such a way that this comic doesn't. Even then, Sandra's humour in MA3 was much the same as here: lovable dork/geek, funny drunk girl, good-looking girl who earns unexpected attraction from other girls despite being straight (but with some wiggle room it seems) and almost getting herself into lesbian situations in a comical fashion.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

LegendaryKroc wrote:I can see the parellels on the wing-girl thing, but at least Sandra has the excuse that she is, so far as I can tell, unaware of her nigh-memetic appeal, and her drunkeness makes for some allowance.
And Sandra doesn't boast what a great wing-girl she is...
LegendaryKroc wrote:...Eisu just explained how it happened...
I think that Dave01 claims some of the credit.
---------
Spidrift

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

I wonder if Lavali will end up running into her ex.

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Spidrift wrote:
LegendaryKroc wrote: ...Eisu just explained how it happened...
I think that Dave01 claims some of the credit.
I think Croc's talking about this post I made: viewtopic.php?f=82&t=16150#p544887

As in I explained it, the whole Aaina falling for Sandra thing. Not I wrote it.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

And this is why you don't have a good-looking flamboyant extrovert for a wing...person. Especially if you're not just as flamboyant and/or attractive, and especially if you're partying/clubbing/bar-hopping. The hot flamboyant extrovert wingperson generally gets all the attention.

Hopefully Lavali learns from this experience to never go cruising for girls with Sandra again. It might help Lavali if she knocked back a few drinks and got more flamboyantly extroverted herself, but I get the impression that getting drunk is not her thing. Of course she may change her mind as the night wears on and she continues to be passed over for Sandra...
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Eisu wrote:I think Croc's talking about this post I made: viewtopic.php?f=82&t=16150#p544887

As in I explained it, the whole Aaina falling for Sandra thing. Not I wrote it.
Sorry, yes, my apologies. I'd lost track of the chain of discussion.
---------
Spidrift

brasca

Post by brasca »

themacnut wrote:And this is why you don't have a good-looking flamboyant extrovert for a wing...person. Especially if you're not just as flamboyant and/or attractive, and especially if you're partying/clubbing/bar-hopping. The hot flamboyant extrovert wingperson generally gets all the attention.

Hopefully Lavali learns from this experience to never go cruising for girls with Sandra again. It might help Lavali if she knocked back a few drinks and got more flamboyantly extroverted herself, but I get the impression that getting drunk is not her thing. Of course she may change her mind as the night wears on and she continues to be passed over for Sandra...
As we can see Lavali has her charms. She's friendly and a good conversationalist, but that does not really work out all that well in this particular club scene. Perhaps she could down a few drinks and imitate Sandra, but I think if she wanted to do that she would and that is what makes it so frustrating. If she could bounce from girlfriend to girlfriend then she would not be crying over Claire. It appears that she wants a relationship and it is sad since Aaina seems to want the same, but is attracted to someone else.

Schmorgluck

Post by Schmorgluck »

Artemisia wrote:
cellabella wrote:Ok, I'm starting to side-eye this a bit.

Red hair and freckles can't be that exotic in France? Why is Sandra being treated like some sort of demigoddess?
Depends on the part of France, really. Plus, red hair is pretty rare overall even in Scotland and Ireland.
I'd say uncommon rather than rare, for Scotland and Ireland. What is even less common is to keep one's freckles into adulthood, for many people they fade over time starting from puberty (though not always entirely).
Spidrift wrote:You are the perpetual target of your cat's libido. But quite politely.