JUST AS PLANNED.

wiseguy

Re: 2015-05-05 A hippie phase

Post by wiseguy »

ImageImage

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

Huh. Gotta ask, if they gave their daughter a Sanskrit name during a "hippie phase"... gotta wonder what led them to name her brother "Alexander."

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Has his full name ever been confirmed? It could be "Alexis" or, you know, "Alex".
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

smoothjohnny wrote:You planned this all along, didn't you, Eisu?
I can just hear you whispering to yourself in the dark now: Someday, someday, I'm going to use Lavali's name to kick off a story.
That's JK Rowling-level twist right there.
Eisu wrote:Wish I could take the credit but I'm not the writer, Dave Lumsdon is.
And as we all know, Dave01 sits in the dark, whispering to himself, all the time. :ymsmug:
Storm-forge mystique wrote:Huh. Gotta ask, if they gave their daughter a Sanskrit name during a "hippie phase"... gotta wonder what led them to name her brother "Alexander."
The "adorable world conquerors" phase. My parents had it too.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

there is a chance that as they "changed from Hippie to capitalism" they named their son for Alexander Hamilton 8-}
ImageImage

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Storm-forge mystique wrote:Huh. Gotta ask, if they gave their daughter a Sanskrit name during a "hippie phase"... gotta wonder what led them to name her brother "Alexander."
They were going through a Hellenistic Phase?
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

wm247

Post by wm247 »

Hippie phase? Does that mean Lavali was conceived around the '60s? :-o

Eisu, how OLD exactly is Lavali? Also, what is the exact year of current SOTR event? Before this I assume that they're in 2015, parallel with our real world, but now I'm not that sure anymore..... @-)

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Let that be a lesson to you. If someone says "It can reveal my soul" and you say "Don't see it myself" you are being culturally insensitive instead of honest and accurate!

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

wm247 wrote:Hippie phase? Does that mean Lavali was conceived around the '60s?
Hippyness didn't entirely die out with the '60s. You can find plenty of people of less than pensionable age who get called hippies. Especially by twenty-somethings like Lavali.

At a guess, I'd assume that strictly speaking, they actually went through a dippy New Age phase; "hippy" is a close enough for government work.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

dmra

Post by dmra »

JoybuzzerX wrote:Let that be a lesson to you. If someone says "It can reveal my soul" and you say "Don't see it myself" you are being culturally insensitive instead of honest and accurate!
Where if you judge somebody's name by their skin colour that's fine.

White Canadian “It's a lovely name I've just never heard an English name for somebody so.. so..

Indian Girl “Mahogany?”

White Canadian “Let's go with that”

Let that be a lesson to you that applying double standards to issues of race or culture you are being hypocriticl instead of honest and accurate.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

And there's that too. Maybe they're both just bad people. :o

Quote removed. The DAMNed

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Spidrift wrote:
wm247 wrote:Hippie phase? Does that mean Lavali was conceived around the '60s?
Hippyness didn't entirely die out with the '60s. You can find plenty of people of less than pensionable age who get called hippies. Especially by twenty-somethings like Lavali.

At a guess, I'd assume that strictly speaking, they actually went through a dippy New Age phase; "hippy" is a close enough for government work.
Just move to Vermont...we are one of the last bastions of Hippidom in the US...and my alma mater even more so than most of the state!
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Maechris

Post by Maechris »

JoybuzzerX wrote:
dmra wrote:
JoybuzzerX wrote:Let that be a lesson to you. If someone says "It can reveal my soul" and you say "Don't see it myself" you are being culturally insensitive instead of honest and accurate!
Where if you judge somebody's name by their skin colour that's fine.

White Canadian “It's a lovely name I've just never heard an English name for somebody so.. so..

Indian Girl “Mahogany?”

White Canadian “Let's go with that”

Let that be a lesson to you that applying double standards to issues of race or culture you are being hypocriticl instead of honest and accurate.
And there's that too. Maybe they're both just bad people. :o
The only bad thing that all the fights for racial and sexual equality really bring into the table is a double standard on double standards.
"I'm proud to be a black woman"
"I'm proud to be a Native American man"
"I'm proud to be a homosexual"

vs
"I'm proud to be het white male cis-scum, technically being racist by saying this."

Every rose has its thorns, but thankfully it appears to be the extent of damage that otherwise completely positive social change has brought.
More often than not people fail to see the entirety of the issue, and focus on a single facet of it. Ask yourself what makes you right before you set fire on other people for being wrong. // "Chemical reactions between the kawaii and uguu hormones.Within the Desu Gland. This is near to the upper Moe muscle."

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

pnterestating take

but at the end of things, is that people give labels EVEN to themselves

instead of "I am proud of being an human being" and nothing else

At least until we meet extra terrestrials ;) and we have to change it to "I am proud to be a sentient being"
ImageImage