2014-04-24 Just a boring model

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Re: 2014-04-24 Just a boring model

Post by Artemisia »

Come on Sandra, just say 'je ne suis pas lesbienne'...of course, they might then presume you're bisexual.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Cortez wrote:I really don't why you have an issue with them not being straight.
There is no issue with her not being straight. I just haven't seen any evidence to point to her being nothing more than has been stated by herself. Someone with boundry issues. Even when it came to the shower scene, she only got in because she wanted to see what Cammi's eyes looked like.

When she got in the shower, she basically just admired Cammi's body. Would she have done something with Cammi if she didn't have a bf? Maybe. We don't know. We do know when it came time to do anything with another girl besides a mindless grope she got a freaked out look on her face (with Didi) and was quickly going to the "Not something I want to do" stance.

Now could this have all changed from that comic? Of course.

wm247

Post by wm247 »

Nobody bothers to speculate who Anette's friends are here? Hmmmmmmm....

TwoWayStar

Post by TwoWayStar »

i guess Sandra needing to turn on the cold water when Cammi left means nothing hmm? *muses*

Anyhoo, aww Lavali! And geez Sandra grab LAvali and take her with you! Friends stick together, no?

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Sandra is becoming a worse wingwoman than Zii was.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Qwertz

Post by Qwertz »

Well (as someone already said), at least she tried - for two frames, even though the other party clearly wasn't that keen on the topic!
(then again, so did Zii.....)

And yes, in the last panel it looks like quite a jovial: "You guys have fun over there, I'll just be doing my own thing," even though she was a tad sad in panel 3. I also notice that she hasn't uttered a single word while in Anette's company - but don't know what that could signify.
Mordhaus wrote:The plot, like soup to which the starch of corn hath been added, doth thicken.
EvilSnack wrote:I think that the characters in this comic are as slim as they are because of the exercise they get from jumping to so many conclusions.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

JoybuzzerX wrote:
There is no issue with her not being straight. I just haven't seen any evidence to point to her being nothing more than has been stated by herself..
Then with all due respect, you haven't been paying attention to SotR. There have been several evidence that she's not as straight as she thought in this webcomic.

And like TwoWayStar pointed out, the encounter with Cammi left Sandra so hot and bothered she needed a cold shower to cool off.

Also remember that Cammi is far more experienced than DiDi is, so it's entirely likely it would be different with Cammi.

As it is, it seems the only reason things didn't work out with DiDi was simply because neither knew what they were doing.

tanonev

Post by tanonev »

Though given that Sandra was drunk when she tried going out with Didi, and Sandra is incredibly creative when drunk, the fact that she couldn't come up with anything to do below the waist does suggest disinterest, not just a lack of knowledge (either that, or Sandra had for some reason acquired ample experience putting bears in trees while in high school).

Given the evidence so far, it's actually not unreasonable to guess that Sandra likes women and men "above the waist", but only men "below the waist". Some people call that "straight", and other people call that "bi", and still other people call that "complicated", and none of those labels are wrong, so long as the person in question is ok with them.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Cortez wrote:
JoybuzzerX wrote:
There is no issue with her not being straight. I just haven't seen any evidence to point to her being nothing more than has been stated by herself..
Then with all due respect, you haven't been paying attention to SotR. There have been several evidence that she's not as straight as she thought in this webcomic.

And like TwoWayStar pointed out, the encounter with Cammi left Sandra so hot and bothered she needed a cold shower to cool off.

Also remember that Cammi is far more experienced than DiDi is, so it's entirely likely it would be different with Cammi.

As it is, it seems the only reason things didn't work out with DiDi was simply because neither knew what they were doing.
No. I have been paying attention. Hot and bothered doesn't mean when it gets to the point there's any interest. With any girl we've seen, she hasn't done anything. With her brand new BF? She was willing and did go at it in public and didn't even require being drunk.

lokisdottir

Post by lokisdottir »

JoybuzzerX wrote:No. I have been paying attention. Hot and bothered doesn't mean when it gets to the point there's any interest. With any girl we've seen, she hasn't done anything. With her brand new BF? She was willing and did go at it in public and didn't even require being drunk.
Err, you know that sexuality refers to attraction as well as behavior, right? A virgin who feels only opposite-sex attractions is still heterosexual, and a virgin who feels only same-sex attraction is still homosexual. The fact that Sandra was hot and bothered by Cammi means she felt sexual attraction to a woman, hence she clearly has some bisexual attraction. Even if she leans more toward the het end of the spectrum, even if she never acts on any same-sex attractions she feels, the comic has clearly shown that she is bi to some extent.

According to your definitions I would be not be bisexual because I'm married to a man and have never done anything sexual with a woman, even though I feel same-sex attractions as well as opposite-sex ones. And my very gay friend would not be gay because he is a virgin. You're edging into erasing actual, non-fictional people's experiences and orientations with your arbitrarily drawn lines, and that's not cool.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

She's shown it once to Cammi, no other. No attraction at all to Didi, in fact she got to a point where she had an ick face. Those she groped she did while drunk. I didn't give any deffinitions. I'm going by what we've been shown. Sandra gets drunk, she loses all sense of personal space if not becomes a different person all together (she did not like what she was doing with Matt for instance when she realized it). One time did she get bothered by Cammi.

But the real thing is, wouldn't it be Sandra who decides what she is? Which she hasn't seemed to say she's bi at all. It's you saying she's bi with a leaning towards hetro. When wouldn't it be Sandra who decides and so far that seems to be she thinks she's straight.

Quote removed. The DAMNed

lokisdottir

Post by lokisdottir »

JoybuzzerX wrote:She's shown it once to Cammi, no other. No attraction at all to Didi, in fact she got to a point where she had an ick face. Those she groped she did while drunk. I didn't give any deffinitions. I'm going by what we've been shown. Sandra gets drunk, she loses all sense of personal space if not becomes a different person all together (she did not like what she was doing with Matt for instance when she realized it). One time did she get bothered by Cammi.
Yes, you are giving a definition when you're discussing whether Sandra is included in the definition of "bisexual." What's more, you're gerrymandering the line all over the place. Attraction to Cammi doesn't count? Drunken actions don't count when it's well-known that alcohol lowers inhibitions? The date with DiDi didn't go well. So? If Sandra had a bad date with a guy that didn't go anywhere, does that mean she's no longer attracted to men? Bisexuality means attraction to men and women, not attraction to all men and all women.
But the real thing is, wouldn't it be Sandra who decides what she is? Which she hasn't seemed to say she's bi at all. It's you saying she's bi with a leaning towards hetro. When wouldn't it be Sandra who decides and so far that seems to be she thinks she's straight.
I'm reminded of a character from Menage a 3 whose catchphrase is "I'm not a lesbian!" All the while she falls in love with women and has sexual encounters with women. She's free to continue identifying as not-a-lesbian, but the facts say she is at least bisexual.

Similarly, no one's saying Sandra should identify as bisexual, we're saying she's shown evidence of bisexual attraction and engaged in bisexual activity. If she wants to continue to identify as straight, that is her prerogative but it doesn't mean we need to ignore the evidence that says otherwise.

brasca

Post by brasca »

TwoWayStar wrote:i guess Sandra needing to turn on the cold water when Cammi left means nothing hmm? *muses*

Anyhoo, aww Lavali! And geez Sandra grab LAvali and take her with you! Friends stick together, no?
She tried to promote Lavali and in the last panel she looks pleased to see Sandra dragged away by so maybe she appreciates the help, but knows what to do. The biggest problem with the last place is it was devoid of any women.

LarsenSan

Post by LarsenSan »

Not wanting to jump on the discussion of Sandra's possible bisexuality but, as some people pointed, the only woman she showed a bit of attraction was Cammi, who shows some "masculine" positive points, like her ripped body or her seductress personality for women. I think Sandra may b a bit of shy in these situations.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

lokisdottir wrote:
JoybuzzerX wrote:She's shown it once to Cammi, no other. No attraction at all to Didi, in fact she got to a point where she had an ick face. Those she groped she did while drunk. I didn't give any deffinitions. I'm going by what we've been shown. Sandra gets drunk, she loses all sense of personal space if not becomes a different person all together (she did not like what she was doing with Matt for instance when she realized it). One time did she get bothered by Cammi.
Yes, you are giving a definition when you're discussing whether Sandra is included in the definition of "bisexual." What's more, you're gerrymandering the line all over the place. Attraction to Cammi doesn't count? Drunken actions don't count when it's well-known that alcohol lowers inhibitions? The date with DiDi didn't go well. So? If Sandra had a bad date with a guy that didn't go anywhere, does that mean she's no longer attracted to men? Bisexuality means attraction to men and women, not attraction to all men and all women.
I'm reminded of a character from Menage a 3 whose catchphrase is "I'm not a lesbian!" All the while she falls in love with women and has sexual encounters with women. She's free to continue identifying as not-a-lesbian, but the facts say she is at least bisexual.

Similarly, no one's saying Sandra should identify as bisexual, we're saying she's shown evidence of bisexual attraction and engaged in bisexual activity. If she wants to continue to identify as straight, that is her prerogative but it doesn't mean we need to ignore the evidence that says otherwise.
Not gerrymandering. She's shown to be intrigued by one girl who's mysterious, Cammi, who was able to get her turned on. Any other signs haven't pointed to any attraction. She got drunk, groped someone and said boobs. No sign of attraction to them at all. No attempts at kissing any of them. Nothing but drunken fondling.

I have no problem with bi characters. I'd like to see one who actually didn't seem to favor one gender more than the other, and right now that's only seems to be Matt but he seems to just be more interested in getting off than caring who gets him off. So it's meh. Or maybe that it just doesn't put it in a positive light. One might argue Zii, but she seems to favor same gender.