2015-03-24 Never played a Zelda game

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

leftturnonly

Re: 2015-03-24 Never played a Zelda game

Post by leftturnonly »

Cortez wrote:No "Link to the past", Alex?
Because of it's accessibility, "A link to the past" would also be my go-to for showing people what a Zelda game is. OoT however is also a pretty good choice since there's more 3D Zelda games than 2D ones. Once she gets used to one, she can branch out to others like Majora's Mask and Wind Waker and still go back to the easier to pick-up games like LttP!

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

To Sandra's defense, two things.
1) Her Gaydar seems to work poorly at best.
2) She hasn't known Lavali that long or that well.

They both were a little tactless but still this strip gave me a chuckle. :))

As far as Zelda is concerned. I played most of the games (didn't own most) and finished a few. IMHO they are all good in their own way, but if you start her on Ocarina of Time, you are going to spoil her for the rest of the series.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Bambikles wrote:Does Sandra know that Alex's sister is Lavali ?
Yes. Lavali recommended her brother as a geekery expert to Sandra in the club.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

Everyone always says to start with A Link to the Past. Why? Why not start where it all began?
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

specially when Sandra loves the old school games like excitebike and duckhunt
ImageImage

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

lordoffiling wrote:Everyone always says to start with A Link to the Past. Why? Why not start where it all began?
Zelda 1...is interesting more from a historical POV than a playthrough, because while the roots of the series are there - and LttP is a clear development - it is VERY unpolished. There are virtually no NPCs or clear paths, meaning it's both hard to find dungeons, and harder still to do them in the right order! (There's a recreation available at http://www.zeldaclassic.com/ for free if you want to try it.)

(Zelda II: Adventure of Link is a wrong turn the series took, and just plain to be avoided unless you *really* want to play *every* Zelda game)
leftturnonly wrote:...there's more 3D Zelda games than 2D ones.
Are there?

3D: Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword.
2D: LoZ1, Zelda II, LttP, Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, Four Swords, Four Swords Adventures, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass*, Spirit Tracks*, Link Between Worlds.

*Have limited 3D areas, but still primarily 2D.

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

I think leftturnonly meant 3D developed like with 3D models instead of 2D sprites and not 3D as in how it's played, so with that, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks and Link Between Worlds is considered a 3D game. Still, the count for 2D Zelda is higher.

Edit: By 1, apparently (just counted the list)

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

going to be tied soon, with the Wii U TLOZ
ImageImage

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Wait... she's never played a Zelda game, yet owns a Wii U which has every Zelda title available on VC... and the first one he suggests is Ocarina of Time, rather than the original? I thought he was supposed to be teaching her, so it'd be better to have her start with the first one, so she could learn how the series began and ease into it.

At the very least, have her start with A Link to the Past. I am disappoint. Minus 10 on your nerd card, Alex. :-Q
FlashD81 wrote:but if you start her with Ocarina of Time, you're going to spoil her for the rest of the series.
...difference of opinion but, in my book, 'Majora's Mask' and 'Twilight Princess' were far superior.

Continuity

Post by Continuity »

Alex: You are pretty good at this already, are you sure you've not had a lot of experience with multiplayer games?
Sandra: Not really. The only other multiplayer game I won recently was a game of Strip Nintendoland with my former consultant.
Alex: ...
Sandra: Lavali! Get in here quick! I think I broke Alex!

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

I wonder what Alex will start her up with when they move to fighting games.

I would also think Sandra might like Mass Effect or Dragon Age.

And of course the Metroid series.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I agree that Sandra would probably love Mass Effect and Dragon Age. Both are good game series and I can somehow imagine her having no problems with the idea of her chosen hero romancing some guy.

I love that DA Inquisition is so very LGBT friendly too...having played all three games I've got quite the cast of LGBT characters going :)
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Cortez wrote:I wonder what Alex will start her up with when they move to fighting games.
My guess would be 'SSBB', since it's more accessible than something like 'Dead or Alive 5' or 'King of Fighters'.
Cortez wrote:I would also think Sandra might like Mass Effect or Dragon Age.
I'd go with 'Xenoblade', but if she ever got started on that one, she wouldn't have time for much else. That game is LONG. So maybe something like 'Secret of Mana' might be better.

BioYuGi

Post by BioYuGi »

So, has Sandra actually ever played any video games other than the one she goes all ga-ga nostalgia over? Because not knowing about Zelda is like not knowing about Mario or Pokemon.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

from what she said, think "excitebike time" and "duckhunt" and right before Zelda was released

so the original Chamelia was probably like first castlevania
ImageImage