2015-03-10 Like a GameBoy

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Eisu

2015-03-10 Like a GameBoy

Post by Eisu »

Strip is up, sorry I missed last Friday, things really got hectic in my life.

Oh, right,URL..

http://www.sandraontherocks.com/strips- ... a_game_boy

LonestarF1

Re: 2015-03-10 Like a GameBoy

Post by LonestarF1 »

All good sir. Bitchin' as always. Love your work.

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

OK, so Alex needs to calm down. :)) I think Sandra should be able to see by now that her adviser is a bit nervous.

@Eisu Sometimes shit happens, no worries. The strip looks great by the way.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Calm down Alex! She'll run away!

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

so alex saying she should play games with the "boy"? ;))
ImageImage

Feywald

Post by Feywald »

I am guessing she will just think he is socially awkward instead of noticing his massive crush.

Metathiax

Post by Metathiax »

Between breaks is the time when you are supposed to be working.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Feywald wrote:I am guessing she will just think he is socially awkward instead of noticing his massive crush.
Awkward and ridiculously generous. But Sandra does seem to be a bit oblivious to her own effect on him.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

His point might be that much more people have portable consoles rather than home consoles. So if you're a hardcore gamer, possessing a portable console should be the minimum, and if Sandra's fanbase learns she doesn't have one, she may lose some popularity. Just speculating, though.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Well, I think that if you're helping someone get familiar with "geek culture", and most geeks have portable consoles, then they obviously have to get familiar with those things themselves. I doubt that Sandra's popularity would take a fatal hit if it became known that she didn't have a portable unit; I guess a few swivel-eyed mouth-breathers might start screaming about "fake geek girls", but they'll find an excuse sooner or later anyway, and given the credibility that she's built up so far, most would go "gosh, modelling must be such hard work that she doesn't get time, the poor thing". She just needs the familiarity so that she can sound vaguely credible in the longer term.

Alex hurling his own property at her like this is just him being insanely infatuated. I imagine that Sandra will take it as a generous offer to lend her the thing, say thanks, and give it back after she's had a chance to go into a shop.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

she is an "absent for a while" geek

she used to play games on the early era and I think is possible she sold her gameboy (remember that she played a lot the old games until high school)

if anything her "like a gameboy" comment indicates she has no idea of Nintendo 3DS or how many old games are available in smart phones
ImageImage

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

Well all accounts show that she was current until Super Nintendo came out, and Gameboy was huge back then.

The portable market has defiantly expanded since but most of the portable Nintendo systems have been solid. From what I have seen (stopped playing portable systems a few years ago) if you have kids you can't go wrong with a 3DS. Though if you have a smart phone there are a number of :ymdevil: free-to-play* games out there.

*games that just fun enough to keep you addicted and charge you for shortcuts and resources to play more.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

PSadlon

Post by PSadlon »

She's as bad as Gary that way.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

wiseguy wrote:she is an "absent for a while" geek

she used to play games on the early era and I think is possible she sold her gameboy (remember that she played a lot the old games until high school)

if anything her "like a gameboy" comment indicates she has no idea of Nintendo 3DS or how many old games are available in smart phones
Depending on how old Sandra is suppose to be either she gave up on gaming because "girls don't play video games" or she was still in the era between the collapse of the industry and its resurrection. I didn't play video games from about just after E.T. came out until 2000 with Diablo II.

My guess is the former rather than the latter.

Still, even I had a Gameboy for a while. It eventually died.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Spidrift wrote:Well, I think that if you're helping someone get familiar with "geek culture", and most geeks have portable consoles.
Gaming culture isn't limited to geeks, there is such a thing as "dude bro" gamers, and casual gamers who fit any number of personality types. Anyone with a smartphone, or tablet device, can play an app game or two during their morning commute, or in their spare time.

In fact, if Alex is gonna be her gaming consultant, he needs to make her aware of that. Because if Sandra walks into any sort of gaming convention, or goes online and says gaming is for geeks, not only would she offend a large portion of her fanbase, it'd reveal just how little she knows about gaming.