2014-11-18 Told you they were doin' it

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Spidrift

Re: 2014-11-18 Told you they were doin' it

Post by Spidrift »

Apparently, the British School in Paris has a uniform, although it's optional for the sixth form (17-18-year-olds). However, I don't imagine that it includes broad contrasting lapels, ties that would scare a fashion victim from 1975, or cute miniskirts. (A quick image search turns up something much more conventional.) I suspect that we're seeing artistic license here, but only a fairly mild case.

Hmm, lemme guess; rumours start spreading; Alex gets embarrassed because he thinks that Marie will be annoyed about them and hence goes out of his way to avoid compromising situations; Marie gets annoyed because she'd quite like some more compromising situations with him; both seek advice from older cast members...
brasca wrote:While it makes more sense for Alex to be clueless about Marie's attraction to him it does seem a bit irresponsible to take a high school student clubbing, but again it's Paris with different drinking laws among other things.
Remember that, on current evidence, they seem to be British. If their education is following the British pattern, they can be eighteen years old and still at something classified as a school. And 18 is not only old enough to go out clubbing, but is fully legal drinking age in both the UK and France.

(And it's not like anyone let Marie get seriously plastered.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

I'll also note they are all speaking English.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

jimb_85

Post by jimb_85 »

Sandra on the Rocks is now a slice-of-life school comedy. I approve.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Don Alexander wrote:I'll also note they are all speaking English.
I thought that we were all taking that as read with Alex and Marie by now. And Penelope certainly at least understood them while eavesdropping their online natter.

Eisu has, I believe, said that they're 17-18-ish. They talk about studying, and wear what seem to be school uniforms. And they speak English with occasional attacks of Dick van Dyke accents. This no longer feels like guesswork; the question is settled. If they're anything other than British kids living and studying in Paris, in the sixth form of a school for British expats or something similar, it'll require a downright bizarre explanation.
Last edited by Spidrift on Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

ronbo

Post by ronbo »

So the new character is a quirky, video game girl named Penelope. I know it's slightly different, but I am now picturing her as a member of the royal Von Schweetz family. I hope her friend's name is Ralph.

I think you all have it wrong about the school uniforms. They are obviously just costumes for their Flock of Seagulls cover band (I know I'm probably really dating myself with that reference).

I find it amusing that the eponymous character has not actually uttered a word since saying "these will be tasteful, right?" on September 9th. I guess that goes as a testament to the strength of the other characters.

To answer Sandra's question, nude and covered in flour? How could they be anything but tasteful?
I believe in the Bread Fairy.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

in the British school in Paris link

they say there can be students without English as their first language, so in paper is possible to have French (and other nationalities) going to an English language school
ImageImage

OldBrit

Post by OldBrit »

Spidrift wrote: Remember that, on current evidence, they seem to be British. If their education is following the British pattern, they can be eighteen years old and still at something classified as a school. And 18 is not only old enough to go out clubbing, but is fully legal drinking age in both the UK and France.
Back when I was an 18 year old schoolboy, there was a 19 year old in the same class (doing resits), so plenty old enough for legal drinking - but not for voting, at that time.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

The fact that they're in uniform could just be what they decided the characters should be in. Like last I knew, while animes/manga may have the school girls in really short skirts, they're generally longer when actually worn at school.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

ImageImage

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Which animes/mangas/comics in general will tend to shorten up in their stories. There could just be a college that requires the uniforms in the M3U.

Quote removed. The DAMNed

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

Heh heh! Reminds me of a former girlfriend during college. People also though we were a couple for a while before we actually "became" a couple. ;))

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

JoybuzzerX wrote:
wiseguy wrote:these seem to be same height skirts as ones Penelope and Marie wear

http://blog.carlton-international.com/w ... school.jpg

http://ndaeuro.notre-dame-des-aydes.org ... niform.jpg
Which animes/mangas/comics in general will tend to shorten up in their stories. There could just be a college that requires the uniforms in the M3U.
2 or 3 of us already searched, only military universities require uniforms in France
ImageImage

Derfman

Post by Derfman »

wiseguy wrote:oh boy........................ if Alex is bi.......................

does that mean he would want to join "Sandra/Pierre"? not just Sandra?
TJgalon wrote:I had to look back, but it might have been Alex comment about "attacking his rear" that makes her think it.
It was Maries comment "Can't widdle Awex take the heat when a girl is dealing it? You never complain when you take it from guys", I do believe.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

I knew that, was just joking ;) there has been nothing to indicate even remotely that Alex could ACTUALLY be bi to us readers
ImageImage