2014-11-14 Take off my top

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Gotoh

Re: 2014-11-14 Take off my top

Post by Gotoh »

Are they playing any game in particular (as in an actual PS3/360 title), or just something specific to the comic? :-\

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

hope u and the other writers keep track, so that when name is revealed, you can go back, and tag the revealed names

and sometimes you miss already established names, in one of the strips(Eeerie), did not tag layla but named the other 4 characters, and in the "first appearance" of Alchemy, during the gender changing orb story, it has not been tagged yet

and lot of the cast pages are not updated, or put up the cast pages(no cast pages yet), the most updated is Ma3(and even than, is slightly outdated)
ImageImage

enigmaxtreme

Post by enigmaxtreme »

Gotoh wrote:Are they playing any game in particular (as in an actual PS3/360 title), or just something specific to the comic? :-\
By the look of the controllers, I say its PS4....

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Eisu wrote:
Spidrift wrote:
jimb_85 wrote:So who's the woman listening in on this?
Not named in the tags. Probably just a random extra who they're messing with, but could be someone with an annoying habit of spying on them. If it's one of their mothers, they're just being cruel.

By the way, non-gamer question - is "take off my top" a line one would expect from some specific game?
Again, a new character not named in the tags does not mean he/she is not gonna be a cast member. It just means the name isn't mentioned in-comic yet, and thus, no tags needed to be put in... yet.
Sorry, yes, I should have made it clearer that I've got all that. It's more or less what I was trying to say in my first couple of sentences.
Eisu wrote:Of course, this doesn't mean that they might not be just a random extra as well. (but I think it's pretty obvious that this one isn't a random extra... also, they're all wearing headsets so their playing a multiplayer game online with in-game chat capabilities which is why this girl can hear all that is said by Alex and Marie... it's not a case of "spying")
The simple fact is that I don't play MMORPGs (or many other computer games), so I don't know what's normal or normally acceptable in these situations. For all I know, it could be common to find that you've got random bystanders listening in on your game sessions, so to me, this new character could have been a random extra. Or if it's possible to tune in to specific people if you make some effort, but considered impertinent, she could be deliberately spying on them for some as-yet-unknown reason.

(Okay, I tried to guess too much from this position of ignorance in my previous post. I apologise.)

Don't mind me, but this strip is partly written in a foreign language from my point of view. I'll just sit here and try to work things out from context.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Spidrift wrote:By the way, non-gamer question - is "take off my top" a line one would expect from some specific game?
That wasn't an in-game request - she's down to her sports bra in the next panel!

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Oops, yes, missed that. She's given up on subtlety, it seems. Or she really is overheating badly.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Zorlond

Post by Zorlond »

And here is yet another reason why open mic gaming is a plague on the community. Contact your local game developers and let them know that "Push To Talk" is the one and only logical course for any online multiplayer chat capability.

(This PSA not paid for by anybody but if I asked I could probably get folks to send me a few million dollars if they honestly thought I could get game devs to stop putting out "Always On" voice chat in their games. Gamers really are sick of this stupid crap...)

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

Uhm....they have not caught their breath going back home turning on their console booting their gagame and starting a match?

Wow they are out of shape.

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

@Zorlond I 100% agree on the PTT. I have played a lot of games in the past that I wished had it. Since I game on the PC I don't normally have this issue because most people I play with have a 3rd party program (like TeamSpeak 3) and use PTT or give me the power to mute the "chat".

Back on topic: :)) :)) :)) These past few strips have had me laughing almost the whole way through. I have heard this kind of "trash-talk" that led me to believe that two people need to just bang and get it out of their respective systems. If the unnamed teammate speaks up it might be along the lines of "FFS Marie just screw him and get back online afterward."

@Crimzon I think they didn't want to waste time.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Oh, the Evils of Teamspeak!!

Or whatever it exactly is, I'm not a gamer, sue me.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Zorlond

Post by Zorlond »

Don Alexander wrote:Oh, the Evils of Teamspeak!!

Or whatever it exactly is, I'm not a gamer, sue me.
Yeah, this is not Teamspeak. That name refers to a very specific 3rd party program that runs in addition to whatever game you are playing. And Teamspeak has always had Push-To-Talk, which refers to the fact that it does not record or send anything your microphone picks up until you specifically press and hold a button to do so.

What they're probably using is a built-in voice chat system that is part of whatever game they're playing. And yeah, game developers very frequently screw it up somehow, which mean Teamspeak and it's competitors will always have a place on a gamer's hard drive.

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

Off-topic/side-note: Console games (especially those that run on X-Box) that have multiplayer voice chat usually have open microphones. Some PC games, especially multi-platform games (i.e. Mass Effect 3), have this as well. The most common 3rd party Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) programs used for gaming that I know of are TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, and Mumble.

More on topic, based on the look of the controllers it looks like Marie and Alex are on a PS4 with Bluetooth headsets. As far as I know most games on the PlayStation Network use open mic. Either they forgot about this or (more likely) they like to annoy the girl they are playing with online.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Vaken

Post by Vaken »

I think that they might be always talking like this in-game (I've been gaming a lot with people who were probably more rude in-game than in real life ; or at least I hope for them). It probably just seems more than it is actually because of all the panting.

So, for the no-gamers benefit (and for simplicity): voice communication is provided in some games. This means that people in your 'adventuring party' can hear you (even if they're far away), but people around you in the game not in your party can't hear you. But many games don't provide such a system, and people rely on external voice systems that you run in parallel to your game. Instead of being some "phone call" like in Skype, you connect to a server somewhere, enter in a "room", and every people in that room can hear you. Either the rooms are public, or restricted to specific people (based on username/password). That's the way those Teamspeak, Mumble and Ventrilo work.

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

Once they finish playing, Marie should say to Alex "I'm gonna take a shower. Wanna join me?" ;)

Vaken

Post by Vaken »

Ah, and I forgot, but here's Alex character in that game ;)
(Well, maybe his character is really called "Sandra Rocks", I don't know).

Freckles included :D