2014-10-28 Atari Jaguar bad

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Re: 2014-10-28 Atari Jaguar bad

Post by Artemisia »

wiseguy wrote:actually, serious gamers would find work outs beneficial

most tournaments are LOOOOOOONNGGGGGG and ones with better stamina should be able to handle long hours of hands and arms use(sometimes legs if we talking wii style games)

just like top car race drivers workout
Most pro-gamers are incredibly, incredibly fit. I watch the SC2 Vods routinely and it's amazing how much they have to put in to stay fit and practice the game. Pro-gamers and even game testers tend not to be your stereotypical gamer sitting in a basement with skin that itches when it comes in contact with the sun.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

ThePonyGuy

Post by ThePonyGuy »

Causing pain to someone she likes for her own gratification?

I always suspected this was a Pixie Trix comic, but now I know for sure.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

Spidrift wrote:By the way, the Atari Jaguar is older than Alex himself. I get that he's a serious student of the history of his hobby, but doesn't he have any failure metrics from within his own lifespan?
maybe he's an AVGN fan?
Yet still, I live...

bejammin2000

Post by bejammin2000 »

Eisu wrote:
bejammin2000 wrote:Okay, call me crazy, but why does Alex have to do any working out at all?

He's got a stomach my sister could iron her jeans on. For fuck's sake, if that doesn't get him any girls, then he's right... a six pack ain't gonna help because he's practically there already. A doughy nerd boy he is NAWT. He. Has. Defined. Pectorals.

WTF!?
Actually, i've never shown his pecs... the one in Marie's dream is just imagination Alex with defined pectorals (like, she's imagining all the strip Smash Bros. game they'll play if he's all ripped and how much she'll be enjoying that)... real Alex is kinda skinny. (look at the old strips, his chest was definitely not defined)
It just goes to show that I shouldn't post very very very early in the morning. I didn't realize that the last panel was a dream sequence.

ThePonyGuy

Post by ThePonyGuy »

Artemisia wrote:

most tournaments are LOOOOOOONNGGGGGG and ones with better stamina should be able to handle long hours of hands and arms use(sometimes legs if we talking wii style games)

Most pro-gamers are incredibly, incredibly fit. I watch the SC2 Vods routinely and it's amazing how much they have to put in to stay fit and practice the game. Pro-gamers and even game testers tend not to be your stereotypical gamer sitting in a basement with skin that itches when it comes in contact with the sun.
Physical activity and a good metabolism help with brain function. Additionally, most pro gamers are young (teens to early 20's, some late 20's, very few older), so their metabolism hasn't had time to be completely wrecked by modern diets.

You can see something similar in professional poker players, who spend most of their time on their butts (even moreso than most office workers, in fact).

Edit: Oh, and this is coming from a morbidly obese guy that hasn't walked or done resistance band training in quite some time. I'm not one to engage in fat shaming. I'm just talking about the science of the issue.

Frostbite

Post by Frostbite »

But Marie. What happens when you lose? Are you prepared for that?
"Me, I'm dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly! Its the honest ones you need to watch out for, since you never know when they'll do something incredibly stupid"

ThePonyGuy

Post by ThePonyGuy »

Here's what she needs to prepare for that eventuality:

1. Soda (for spilling on her chest after she loses her shirt or for spilling on her legs after she loses her pants)
2. A towel (for patting it dry)
3. Light bulbs that are an hour (at most) from going poof
4. Candles
5. Rum

Am I missing anything, here?

Quote removed. The DAMNed

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Vaken wrote:This brings memories of the 1500m in Decathlon on the Atari 600 and Commodore 64...
You have just soooo dated yourself with that comment.

and me, laughing madly at it, have done so too!! :D

My hand still has phantom pain just thinking about it. :P

Anyway, my own goof-up - if just for a second - was to think Zoé really showed up behind Marie!! (She would toss Alex right through the window and not just out of bed)
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

ThePonyGuy wrote:
Artemisia wrote:

Physical activity and a good metabolism help with brain function. Additionally, most pro gamers are young (teens to early 20's, some late 20's, very few older), so their metabolism hasn't had time to be completely wrecked by modern diets.

You can see something similar in professional poker players, who spend most of their time on their butts (even moreso than most office workers, in fact).

Edit: Oh, and this is coming from a morbidly obese guy that hasn't walked or done resistance band training in quite some time. I'm not one to engage in fat shaming. I'm just talking about the science of the issue.
I've noticed (and read/heard) of pro-gamers who went from one game to another as their bodies stopped being quite as fast or quite as able to cope. But I've seen discussions about gamers who only eat junk food while at events and spend the rest of the time being physically active.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

ronbo

Post by ronbo »

Frostbite wrote:But Marie. What happens when you lose? Are you prepared for that?

I'm gonna go with yes on that one.

http://www.sandraontherocks.com/strips- ... room_floor

It sounds like just the medicine to cure Alex of his severe case of cluelessdumbassatosis.
I believe in the Bread Fairy.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

"Oh dear! I've lost! LOST! Punishment must be meted out! Looks like I helplessly advance one step toward being naked with you..."
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

ThePonyGuy

Post by ThePonyGuy »

ronbo wrote:
Frostbite wrote:But Marie. What happens when you lose? Are you prepared for that?

I'm gonna go with yes on that one.

http://www.sandraontherocks.com/strips- ... room_floor

It sounds like just the medicine to cure Alex of his severe case of cluelessdumbassatosis.
It seems more like he's suffering from notinteresteditis. Turns out, guys can have that, too.

http://www.sandraontherocks.com/strips- ... r_freckles

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

In real life, no doubt. In this comic, there's always the option for the writers to give him an epiphany some time - and I'd bet a modest amount of money that's what's going to happen, eventually.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

ThePonyGuy

Post by ThePonyGuy »

Spidrift wrote:In real life, no doubt. In this comic, there's always the option for the writers to give him an epiphany some time - and I'd bet a modest amount of money that's what's going to happen, eventually.
Yay! Just like Scrubs and How I Met Your Mother!

Honestly, the writer-induced epiphany of love is one of my least favorite things ever when it comes to writing. And yeah, that's probably the only way that they're ever going to resolve this. It still bothers me quite a bit, though.

Then again, we have seen Dave and Giz resolve an unrequited love issue without that epiphany of love injection thing (Dillon's love for Gary). Not as serious as this one, but still an example of resolving it realistically.