2014-10-17 Square One

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

brasca

Re: 2014-10-17 Square One

Post by brasca »

themacnut wrote:All she needs now is a lightsaber and black armor or dark robes and she'll be officially ready to start her Evil Campaign.

C'mon people, we all know that Eloise' attempts at revenge will fail hilariously. Those attempts are even likely to backfire hilariously on Eloise herself.

And I suspect the greatest hilarity will be in Sandra never knowing who Eloise is or even noticing her attempts at revenge - Sandra will think it's bad luck or something.
Even better is if Eloise pretends to be her friend and her attempts to sabotage her career backfire so badly that Sandra thinks she's a great friend for helping her out without ever knowing how much she hates her. It would be something akin to Tiffany Winter's friendship with Layla Delacroix. Even though she's the sworn enemy of vampires she never actually attempts to slay Layla who's blissfully unaware of it.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

'J' wrote:eloise has suffered a critical failure and needs to shut down. reboot to vengeance mode?
No... not vengeance mode

REVENGEANCE MODE

lokisdottir

Post by lokisdottir »

Spidrift wrote:Well, [Nadine is quite compassionate] towards someone she already loves. And that amounts to enabling here. But yeah, there is a decent person in there somewhere.
From the snatches of her background (Daddy got me this, Daddy got me that), love to Nadine may mean indulging someone and seeing to their every whim and need. Spoiling them, in other words, no matter how unhealthy their wants might be.

Nadine is the "perfect" partner for someone like Eloise--perfect, that is, for continuing to makes excuses for herself and refusing to take responsibility for her life. She destroyed part of her costume just before a show? It's not her fault for being careless and thoughtless, OTHER people should bend over backward to make it right. She missed her chance at the big time? Can't be her fault, but Sandra's fault for "stealing" her gig and her idol. She's sleeping with people for career gain, as opposed to actually working to approach her audience like Sandra is? Well, that's just how people get ahead in this business! She never told the man of her dreams how she felt? Well, Reasons. It's not like she should take the risk of rejection or take some initiative for a chance at romantic success. It's the world's responsibility to keep Pierre celibate and help him magically see that she is the Perfect One for him and make her happy ever after. Eloise's life is never her own damned responsibility.

So she lost her gig, she's not where she wants to be in her career, and she just watched her lifelong crush pound the dough with another woman. None of this can ever be Eloise's own fault in any way. No, it must be Sandra's! And Nadine will be by her side every step of the way, never challenging Eloise, anxious to please, putting boundless resources at her girlfriend's disposal.

This has the makings of a codependent relationship from hell.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Uh, yeah. The sad thing being that Nadine seems to be genuinely in love. She just bollixes up expressing it. And, conversely, the thing that may save Eloise from total catastrophe (because, we all know, anything she tries against Sandra is doomed to failure) is Nadine using her brain at the right moment and holding Eloise back. She's already had one good stab at that, after all.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

DrAngryEd

Post by DrAngryEd »

What's up with these french women and burning pictures of their sworn enemy?

http://www.sandraontherocks.com/strips- ... _glamorous
"Dreams do not vanish, so long as people do not abandon them."

Captain Phantom F. Harlock I

CFT

Post by CFT »

It's the same ONE woman. The past few pages were a small jump to the past in order to reveal how she ended up at the picture-burning.
My name's Crazy. Craaazy For Tiff of course!!! :x ^:)^ \M/ B-)

THE CORRUPTOR IS UNCHAINED

lokisdottir

Post by lokisdottir »

Spidrift wrote:Uh, yeah. The sad thing being that Nadine seems to be genuinely in love. She just bollixes up expressing it.
Express it any other way than indulging her, though, and Eloise is probably gone. There isn't a lot of latitude for staying on a narcissist's good side, it's either their way or you end up on their long list of persecuters.
And, conversely, the thing that may save Eloise from total catastrophe (because, we all know, anything she tries against Sandra is doomed to failure) is Nadine using her brain at the right moment and holding Eloise back. She's already had one good stab at that, after all.
What did Nadine actually achieve, though? All she did was distract Eloise by dangling Pierre. Which is actually an excellent way of dealing with narcissists in the short run, leading me to believe Nadine has experience dealing with this personality type. Like I'd said, if Eloise were called on her crap she'd either become unbearable or move on. Still, distraction is only a stopgap measure and there's only so long Nadine can keep it up.

I agree Nadine is probably the key to permanently neutralizing Eloise, though. Doormats are much likelier to get a clue than narcissists are, and even if Nadine doesn't get Eloise to see her self-defeating patterns (unlikely without a hefty dose of character development on Eloise's part) she can at least wake up and cut Eloise off from her resources.

Clayvman

Post by Clayvman »

Zero Suit Samus has always been a weakness for me....and if Sandra was dressed as her...I'd be a little bit excited too

sukebe senpai

Post by sukebe senpai »

I don't know if this has crossed anyone's minds, but don't you think Eloise could at least try to leverage the gamergate community (with its well-known by now stance on women in general, but especially women in games) against Sandra?
FIRRIB

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

lokisdottir wrote:What did Nadine actually achieve, though?
Up until the point when they walked into the boulangerie, she had Eloise cheered up and not obsessing about Sandra. Which was a decent result, from both Nadine's point of view and anyone else's. Then comedy mugged her good intentions with an axe.
lokisdottir wrote:All she did was distract Eloise by dangling Pierre. Which is actually an excellent way of dealing with narcissists in the short run, leading me to believe Nadine has experience dealing with this personality type. Like I'd said, if Eloise were called on her crap she'd either become unbearable or move on. Still, distraction is only a stopgap measure and there's only so long Nadine can keep it up.
And in the long run, we're all dead. Nadine was apparently prepared to play this game as long as seemed necessary, and she has the resources and energy to do so. One day, she might fail - or one of them might get bored with the relationship and walk. Whatever. From her point of view, if her luck hadn't been quite so atrocious, she was maintaining a working relationship with the woman she loved.

Sure, from anyone else's point of view, it's a waste of resources and a bad case of enabling. But it's Nadine's choice.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.