Sandra on the Rocks - Vol 1: Discussion

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Eisu

Sandra on the Rocks - Vol 1: Discussion

Post by Eisu »

I'm finishing up Volume 1 right now, so no update this week but do enjoy a preview of the bonus story included in the book.

http://www.sandraontherocks.com/strips- ... _1_preview

Zippy

Re: Sandra on the Rocks - Vol 1: Discussion

Post by Zippy »

When does the bonus strip take place relative to the series-to-date? During Vol. 1, or between Vols. 1 & 2?

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Between vols. 1 & 2.

TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

Quick question Eisu, awhile back I asked if the art from the cover would be posted anywhere, any word on that, cause now with color I want it even more, it's pretty dang good. I mean, I got the book from the kickstarter, so I'll have it, but I'd like to make it a wallpaper on my comp too.

Anyway, love the comic, your art really makes it my favorite of the comics on this site. :)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Whatever the speech bubbles eventually say, this strip kind of hints and/or emphasises that Sandra is no longer quite so intimidated by Tatiana - but the snag with that is that it makes her even better at exasperating ‎Zoé.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

Will the PDF be available for sale at the store?

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

TheCollector wrote:Quick question Eisu, awhile back I asked if the art from the cover would be posted anywhere, any word on that, cause now with color I want it even more, it's pretty dang good. I mean, I got the book from the kickstarter, so I'll have it, but I'd like to make it a wallpaper on my comp too.

Anyway, love the comic, your art really makes it my favorite of the comics on this site. :)
I might be able to post up the Sandra art (by herself, no logo and stuff) online soon, but no promises.
zaprzapb wrote:Will the PDF be available for sale at the store?
I think so. If I'm not wrong, they told me all the Kickstarter stuff (except for exclusive KS poster) will be available in the store. I'm assuming the pdf will be there as well.

Sokora

Post by Sokora »

I know you mighta mentioned this before, but is Volume 1 going to be uncensored?

Actually I have another question. Where does Volume 1 end?

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

#150 ("Wild and glamourous"), only #147 will be edited for the book,

Sokora

Post by Sokora »

That...sounds like a gyp to me. Especially if that turns out to be true. I could spot plenty of areas in the book that would make for some good fanservice moments. Especially involving Zoe and that Limo Driver.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@Sokora: 'Sandra on the Rocks' is PG-13, they can't do that. The fact that they're uncensoring that one strip is pushing it.

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Sokora wrote:That...sounds like a gyp to me. Especially if that turns out to be true. I could spot plenty of areas in the book that would make for some good fanservice moments. Especially involving Zoe and that Limo Driver.
How can it be a gyp when the webcomic itself has always been rated PG-13?! We're "gypping" people cos we're not making the book rated R? SOTR was NEVER an R Rated kind of comic. It's a gyp if we actually say, "we're rated R, but for web purpose, we're gonna censor everything and then have the uncensored version in the book".

I mean, it's considered a gyp now cos we censor the web version and not showing nipples in the book version? I really don't get that.

We're not gypping anyone.

TCampbell

Post by TCampbell »

Sokora, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that the main reason to buy this print volume is to get versions of existing pages that you can't see online. I could understand that impression if we'd done more to promote the print volume as a "COMPLETELY UNCENSORED" version-- "BEHOLD THE NUDITY, GET ALL THE NUDITY!" But I don't think we ever promoted it as such. Book 1 is for people who want a physical copy of the book, with the artwork in high resolution, and/or the special bonus story "Twisted Tuesday." Incidentally, having read that story, I'd say it's just about worth the cover price by itself. Dave hit on a GREAT concept.

Page 147 was a very special case where we produced the full page, almost went to the Web with it, then changed our minds, but decided to share the original with what readers we could. We don't like to spend a lot of time drawing fully inked panels we cannot share with our readers. In well over 99.7% of all cases, there is no "uncensored version" of a panel, so going back in and "re-nudifying" all pages that COULD show more nudity than they do would be a ton of extra work that, frankly, I would jump off a bridge before I asked Eisu to do.

Sokora

Post by Sokora »

I suppose it's a difference of opinion then. I remember a discussion about uncensoring something in one of the threads. I guess I'm just feeling let down that it's only one strip that's being changed. I thought that there'd be more of Sandra on the Rocks that was actually censored as opposed to (how to put this?)drawing it as it was originally intended.

Personally I wouldn't feel as let down if the actual (physical) comic was R-rated, mainly because it's got something the webcomic doesn't have. I've already read the story so I'm not in an urgent need to get it in physical form. The sidestory is in fact a good idea for selling it but still...

I already understand the issue behind making your webcomic PG-13 (web advertising and such), and I'd never want to put Eisu through the hassle of having to go back to old panels and changing them. That WOULD be hell. I am kinda eager to see what your original 147 was and what made you decide to censor it.

Personally, I'm just miffed that only one panel got uncensored, not so much that the entire webcomic is PG-13...though I'm hoping that as time passes you guys might be at liberty to reconsider the PG-13 angle and push the envelope a bit further, especially since it's part of the Menage a 3 universe. Hell, even PG-13 has some nudity in it (Doc Hollywood for instance); it's just a lot rarer.

I'm just one person though. I'd like to hear some input from other people. Not so much Volume One, the work's already been done and there's no need to go back to it. But for future volumes of Sandra on the Rocks, Volumes 2, 3, and so on, would you guys like to see a physical copy of the book that is uncensored, or at least LESS-censored than its webcomic counterpart?

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Sokora wrote:That...sounds like a gyp to me.
I take it you didn't know that "to gyp" - meaning "to cheat" - is an anti-Roma slur (a shortening of "gypsy"), but just letting you know that I wouldn't use it in future unless you meant that...