Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Eisu

2013-12-17 Certain headstrong model

Post by Eisu »

Qwertz

Re: 2013-12-17 Certain headstrong model

Post by Qwertz »

Oh wow.. now that's some revelations for you...... or did we know that already and I just forgot?

also: heh, seems like Zoe will be *forced to* help Sandra now, rather than feeling obliged to do so anyway.
Also, also: Yay, London! xD

[EDIT: wait... am I...... the first to comment? @-)
Another edit: ooh, I see it shows the server clock as one hour behind mine, for some reason - thought this has been up for an hour, but apparently it's literally been a few minutes]
Last edited by Qwertz on Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mordhaus wrote:The plot, like soup to which the starch of corn hath been added, doth thicken.
EvilSnack wrote:I think that the characters in this comic are as slim as they are because of the exercise they get from jumping to so many conclusions.

Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Ahhhhh, may you have children just like you.

Classic.
Live life to the full, be happy in yourself and never slow down. We're here for a blink of an eye to the universe. Make the most of it.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Heh. Points for Domenico. That's a tiny bit clichéd, but it may be the sharpest line we've seen from him. (It's a revelation, but not that big; just very fashion biz, really.)

On the other hand, Domenico's not that smart. Flouncing round in an open shirt like that in London? There aren't many days in high summer where that'd be comfortable, and I think that the Ma3 plot calendar puts this in September or October. Not to mention that it'd make him look like a naff tourist, or a drunk football fan. Or does he walk around with his own personal bubble of tropical climate at all times?

And talking of London, let's try to geolocate this. London Eye on the left, seen more or less straight on, Houses of Parliament on the right. Both are visible in a fairly narrow field of view, and he's on a rooftop. That puts him some way north of the river; maybe near the National Gallery, but I think he has to be further north than that - somewhere in Soho, probably, which would be plausible (lots of media companies have offices in that area). Actually, I suspect that you'd have to take this picture from some distance, with a telephoto lens, to fit everything in.

(Edit: Actually, he might have to be a bit further west than that. The other problem is that, technically, the image should probably also include the Shard, even if that was too many modern London clichés in one picture. See, e.g., this photo for reference.)
Last edited by Spidrift on Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

I am impressed that you geolocated his location... though I myself am not sure where he is (I used a photo ref for the location of the Eye and Big Ben and all and just winged where they'd be located to each other from a certain angle.

Anyways, as for his open shirt, yes, I purposefully made him wear open shirt in an autumn weather in London cos he's just that damn eccentric ^o^ (notice the windy-ness of it all and he just takes it all in)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Well, he was talking about having an appointment with royalty at one point, so maybe he's somewhere near the Mall...

Most pictures that show the Eye and the Houses of Parliament together seem to be taken from the river (or one of the bridges), but that would mean that the Eye would be more edge-on. Anyway, I somehow doubt that Domenico would be out on a boat, or crossing a bridge on foot.

(Pedantic geekery time: The picture does not show Big Ben. Big Ben is the bell inside that clock tower.)
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Spidrift wrote:(Pedantic geekery time: The picture does not show Big Ben. Big Ben is the bell inside that clock tower.)
Ahhh, did not know that, all this time I thought the whole clock tower is called Big Ben.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

It's a very common confusion. Actually, these days, it's mostly an excuse for pedantry. But yes, "the chimes of Big Ben" are the sound made by Big Ben.
---------
Spidrift

brasca

Post by brasca »

Qwertz wrote:Oh wow.. now that's some revelations for you...... or did we know that already and I just forgot?

also: heh, seems like Zoe will be *forced to* help Sandra now, rather than feeling obliged to do so anyway.
Also, also: Yay, London! xD
If you can call guilt tripping force then I suppose. From what I gather Zoe was married to Domenico for a time, but they seemed to have had an amicable divorce since she still works for him and they get along well enough. He seems to be the boss, but she does have some authority within the agency so she's more than just a veteran model and can challenge his decisions in ways Tatiana would never dare.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Wonder what this means for the relationship between Tatiana and Zoe...

And, my, does she blush nicely. Nice to know there's a vulnerable person under that iron casing.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:He seems to be the boss, but she does have some authority within the agency so she's more than just a veteran model and can challenge his decisions in ways Tatiana would never dare.
An ex-spouse is always going to be able to talk back in a way that a PA won't quite be permitted, even without Tatiana's infatuation. And if you're employing someone for their industry experience and expertise, it'd be silly not to pay attention to their judgement.
Don Alexander wrote:Wonder what this means for the relationship between Tatiana and Zoe...
I get the impression that Domenico have got the "what's past is history, this is now strictly a business relationship" vibe working nicely. (Which means that when he does choose to bring up the past, it gets through to her all the more. If he has half an ounce of sense, he won't ever do that in public.) If Tatiana has picked that up, she may not feel too threatened by Zoe.

If Zoe ever spots Tatiana's infatuation with Domenico, she'll probably be amused; if she's feeling mean, she'll be condescending, while if she's feeling kind, she might give Tatiana some good advice. Of course, said good advice might be "back off for your own sake". After all, she presumably knows what Domenico's appeal is to a susceptible woman; she just also knows his faults.
Don Alexander wrote:And, my, does she blush nicely. Nice to know there's a vulnerable person under that iron casing.
Remember, a blush can indicate anger. Mistaking that for a softer emotion can be quite dangerous with some people. Zoe may mean what she says in panel 4. Which doesn't mean that Domenico is wrong, or that she doesn't also still love him a bit; it just means that he shouldn't push this too far.
---------
Spidrift

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Technically, in comics, a blush never really indicates actual anger. Sometimes they do blush and get angry but that's more of a case of, "You're right about what you're saying but I'm not gonna admit it even though I'm blushing cos you're right, I'll get angry instead!"

It just gets way too confusing to have blushing as actual anger when there are other ways to do it without confusing the readers and it's really a sign of a bad artist to confuse readers like so. Mislead in certain ways maybe, mostly for plot twists, but confusing readers is always a bad way to do comics.

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

I love blushing women

uhm....anyways, love the revelation

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Eisu wrote:Technically, in comics, a blush never really indicates actual anger. Sometimes they do blush and get angry but that's more of a case of, "You're right about what you're saying but I'm not gonna admit it even though I'm blushing cos you're right, I'll get angry instead!"
Fair enough, and I'm not going to argue with the artist of this comic about what the art here actually means. I do think that some people get so annoyed about being embarrassed that they jump straight through embarrassment to anger without stopping; with a character like that, saying that a blush means anger is close enough, even in comics. So long as you do establish that the character hates being embarrassed that way, of course. And while Zoe is probably too controlled to really lose her temper here, well, I wouldn't want to embarrass her if I could avoid it.
---------
Spidrift

rpr

Post by rpr »

Anyway, the expressions in 3rd and 4th do not express anger, rather some kind of mild surprise, confusion? The expression in the 1st is an angry one.