2013-12-13 Like a school trip

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Spidrift

Re: 2013-12-13 Like a school trip

Post by Spidrift »

Bambikles wrote:She acts like a stereotyped teacher ...
Because that's the job she's been given. Teaching someone stuff, when that someone keeps acting like a loopy teenager. Of course she slips into schoolteacher mode. Zoe's reactions are understandable as well as, actually, right.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

brasca wrote:
FlashD81 wrote:Well that went better than I thought. Up until the point where Sandra has no money and has no idea how to get to where she needs to go. I'm not sure if this little insurrection will earn her some respect from Zoe or not but it impressed me.
And Senna isn't around to see any of it too.

There's something to be said about professionalism, but seeing as how this is potentially a career making job there's nothing wrong with being giddy over that.
True, but if she can't handle things even a little seriously (bringing along a friend in the hopes of scoring him a job with the people who only just hired her doesn't exactly make Sandra look really professional ) she's risking the possibility of getting herself fired.

Though I would love Sandra's plan to land Gary a job in the gaming business be successful - she's going about it the wrong way. I think Zoe has every right to be pissed off at her for her unprofessional behavior.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Spidrift wrote:
Bambikles wrote:She acts like a stereotyped teacher ...
Because that's the job she's been given. Teaching someone stuff, when that someone keeps acting like a loopy teenager. Of course she slips into schoolteacher mode. Zoe's reactions are understandable as well as, actually, right.
No patience and no listening go to my "bad teacher" column as far as I'm concerned. Zoe may be justified to act like a teacher (and even then, there are other ways to teach things than playing the teacher/student hierarchical relationship), but not as a bad one.

Metathiax

Post by Metathiax »

If she is broke how was she planning to fly Gary home?

Templar Woolf

Post by Templar Woolf »

She still has the corporate Credit cards.
Look for the rainbow.
Don't just stare at the rain.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

i wouldn't be surprised if she just assumed the company would be cool with her joyriding in the jet, same way she assumed it'd be cool to bring gary to work.

what'd be amusing is if it turned out they only had one, and it was stuck in japan with senna.
Yet still, I live...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Bambikles wrote:No patience and no listening go to my "bad teacher" column as far as I'm concerned.
She appears to have understood perfectly well why Sandra was bringing Gary along; thinking that she can get a friend a job with a client puts Sandra straight in the "teenage idiot" category. At which point, patience becomes superfluous; Sandra is acting like an idiot, they have an appointment to keep, Zoe's correct response is to slap Sandra down and get on with the job. When a teacher has a teenager acting like a buffoon in class, the correct response is not to join in the buffoonery, it's to reassert control and get on with the lesson.
Templar Woolf wrote:She still has the corporate Credit cards.
The kind assumption is that Sandra still has that credit card and can use it to cover large expenses that look vaguely like business, but it doesn't provide her with petty cash to cover things like taxi rides. The less polite assumption is that Sandra has lost the plot and is making stuff up as she goes along.
'J' wrote:what'd be amusing is if it turned out they only had one, and it was stuck in japan with senna.
The company that provides Senna with use of a private jet appears to be a different organisation to Domenico's private organisation. So far as we know, Senna is not on Domenico's staff - and it really doesn't seem likely.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Yeap, Senna has her own private jet.

Can you pay for a taxi cab ride with a credit card in Paris?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Eisu wrote:Yeap, Senna has her own private jet.
Is it actually her own, or does it belong to her management company or something? Aside from the fact that, realistically, a model would have to be very successful indeed to run to her own private jet, I remember that she apparently wasn't able to offer Sandra transport back to Montreal from Brazil. I assumed that she had (slightly unreliable) use of a jet that actually belonged to the company with whom she's signed.

(And yes, I do realises that worrying about realism here is a bit silly.)
Eisu wrote:Can you pay for a taxi cab ride with a credit card in Paris?
I've never tried, but I doubt it. However, you can probably use a credit card in an ATM there to draw some cash. You can in the UK, at least with some credit cards.

But I'll happily believe that Sandra's card doesn't permit that, for the sake of hand-waved plot convenience, regardless of realism.
---------
Spidrift

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Spidrift wrote:
Eisu wrote:Yeap, Senna has her own private jet.
Is it actually her own, or does it belong to her management company or something? Aside from the fact that, realistically, a model would have to be very successful indeed to run to her own private jet, I remember that she apparently wasn't able to offer Sandra transport back to Montreal from Brazil. I assumed that she had (slightly unreliable) use of a jet that actually belonged to the company with whom she's signed.

(And yes, I do realises that worrying about realism here is a bit silly.)
Seeing as how Senna can just up and leave Montreal to Paris for a date, I'm very inclined to think that it is her own private jet. The sending Sandra back to Montreal thing I see it more like Senna is too lazy to do it or doesn't think it's worth the trouble to send someone like Sandra back to Montreal so she decided not to do it. Maybe she thinks it's beneath her so why should she waste her fuel just to send this little mouse back to where she came from. That's what I think anyway, but this happened in Ma3 days, so I can't confirm exactly what Dave and Giz thinks about this.
Spidrift wrote:
Eisu wrote:Can you pay for a taxi cab ride with a credit card in Paris?
I've never tried, but I doubt it. However, you can probably use a credit card in an ATM there to draw some cash. You can in the UK, at least with some credit cards.

But I'll happily believe that Sandra's card doesn't permit that, for the sake of hand-waved plot convenience, regardless of realism.
Yeah, I don't think she's allowed to have the pin number to take out money from the credit card.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The trouble is, in a lot of places these days, you need the PIN to use the card at all. (In the UK, anyway, and I think in France - though less in Germany, weirdly enough.) But no matter. Sandra is probably just being ditzy here. Or Tatiana told her that drawing cash on the card was against the rules, and sounded so scary about it that Sandra listened.
---------
Spidrift

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Really? Even if you're just out buying things and charging it to card? Never had to input my pin for that... (but in Malaysia, the pins don't come with the credit card, we get the credit card and then we'll get to use it like normal and just do the signature thing, but if you wanna take out money from the credit card in atms and all that, you have to apply for a pin number) Debit card, sure, that one does need the Pin sometimes (and the card does come with the pin), but never thought credit card would need it (especially, since, like I said, you have to apply for the pin numbers later here in Malaysia... would be weird if a Malaysian went out on a holiday in the UK and uses his credit card but has to input a Pin number and he's all, "But I never applied for a pin number!! I don't have one!")

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Oh yeah; PINs have effectively replaced signatures for credit card transactions in the UK. Virtually any retail place that takes credit cards has a wireless keypad or two. The banks reckon it's more secure (I guess that any idiot can forge most people's scrawled signatures these days), although some people get twitchy about the electronic security of the system. I think it's still possible to use a signature instead, with a bit of messing about; that Malaysian visitor to the UK would probably get a funny look before the shop worked out how to handle the problem. But it would make them a weird out-of-date foreigner.

From what I've seen, France and Spain are much the same. The only time I usually get to sign a credit card slip nowadays is on trips to Germany.
---------
Spidrift

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Spidrift wrote:
Bambikles wrote:No patience and no listening go to my "bad teacher" column as far as I'm concerned.
She appears to have understood perfectly well why Sandra was bringing Gary along; thinking that she can get a friend a job with a client puts Sandra straight in the "teenage idiot" category. At which point, patience becomes superfluous; Sandra is acting like an idiot, they have an appointment to keep, Zoe's correct response is to slap Sandra down and get on with the job. When a teacher has a teenager acting like a buffoon in class, the correct response is not to join in the buffoonery, it's to reassert control and get on with the lesson.
At least explain what is wrong and why it is, so the person won't do the same mistake again out of understanding rather than blind obedience to social standards. That is, appeal to Sandra rationality and talk to her like the adult she is, even if a ditzy and naive one.

Plus it is actually shown here that it is quite a counterproductive behaviour, given it annoys Sandra enough to kick Zoe out of the car. Zoe may be right, but she implemented it the wrong way. This a perfect example of people in the right not being listened for communicating and acting poorly.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Bambikles wrote:At least explain what is wrong and why it is...
She did. Sandra is being unprofessional and not taking her job seriously. If Sandra needs more detail than that, she's too stupid for any education to stick.
---------
Spidrift