2013-12-10 Are we excited

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Spidrift

Re: 2013-12-10 Are we excited

Post by Spidrift »

Woo. Someone got bitten by a stray fashion model. If this comic is going to tackle the issue of all the "overpaid" and arrogance-promoting "not publicly useful" fields of work out there ... we'll see it have a long run.

People pour money into the fashion industry, and the industry slurps it up. Deal. At least Zoe has a professional attitude in general. And note also, Sandra isn't trying to bring down the corrupt and rotten system from within; she wants to join in, and have some of what Zoe's got.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

sukebe senpai

Post by sukebe senpai »

Well, let's face it. It's not like Zoe's working for Doctors Without Borders. As for what people pour money into, if I start listing all the "jobs" that give their "workers" a lot of money for literally nothing, I'll end up facepalming until the Rapture.

PS. Kardashians anyone?
FIRRIB

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Yeah, yeah, the world is shit and horrible people get given lots of money despite you not approving of them.

Tough.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

8-| Lazy cynicism FTW !

Geeno

Post by Geeno »

Well cynicism never disappoints.
I don't care if people are willing to take money being offered. The thing that makes me facepalm is "why did the person offering think it was a good idea in first place?". That's where the disconnect is for me. Heck, I'd take the money if they were throwing it at me. Can't really blame the recipients, but the offerers are a tad questionable. As a parent, that occasionally makes me wonder where this society is headed.
PIXIE MEL!!!

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Ditto.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

But this comic really isn't pretending for a moment to be a pointed critique of the fashion business. Nobody is anorexic, nobody is on drugs, and no 14-year-old Russian kids are having their dreams exploited. It's a bunch of gags about someone who wants to be a model and who is getting there fairly smoothly apart from a few other characters shouting at her a bit.

It's light comedy, and none the worse for that. But if anyone wants serious comments on serious issues, such as the weird economics of supply and demand in a business which is very largely about getting inside people's heads to manipulate their desires, then they need to go somewhere else.
---------
Spidrift