2013-11-12 Accidental Unprofessional

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Spidrift

Re: 2013-11-12 Accidental Unprofessional

Post by Spidrift »

Raamyah wrote:Wow, Marie - you must love Sandra a whole lot to forget the jilting Alex gave you a few updates ago.
Didn't you see when she came to terms with that problem a couple of strips later? She's just being admirably level-headed.

(And I still say that Alex and Marie just have to accept that they're in a ménage à 3. It shouldn't be that hard, given that they both love the third member, who's mostly imaginary anyway.)
sukebe senpai wrote:I'm surprised by Senna's unfamiliarity with the impact of fetishwear on the fashion world. Hasn't she heard of Thierry Mugler or Helmut Newton?
(a) Presumably, the idea is that her trained eye has identified this as cheap, tacky fetishwear, rather than the high-class artistically-chosen stuff found in some fashion shoots. (b) The problem of the weird gaps in Senna's modern cultural awareness has already been discussed to death on these boards several times. Yeah, it puzzles me too, but... (c) Comedy.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Raamyah wrote:Wow, Marie - you must love Sandra a whole lot to forget the jilting Alex gave you a few updates ago. Even if it is temporary.
I have to wonder if this may be a loop back to before that incident (at the point that they were looking at the website as the photos kept uploading).

As for the cosplay thing - the whole 'Emma Frost is blonde, so the cosplay is ruined' thing can be explained away by claiming Sandra was in the middle of changing into the cosplay and hadn't donned the wig yet or she was somehow possessed by Jean Grey/Phoenix (to explain the red hair).

Die hard fans can come up with some far-fetching excuses to explain away something that is clearly wrong when it comes to something they perceive as perfect.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I don't see why people think that there's any inconsistency in Marie's behaviour. Sure, Alex failed to take a hint, and she snapped at him - but a couple of strips later, she went over the incident in her mind and decided "Okay, I can see him every day, I can work on this, and if I play it right, I either get a lover or keep a friend." In other words, it was just a speed bump, and she specifically decided not to let it stop her working with Alex. And from Alex's point of view, she snapped at him for some incomprehensible reason, then doubtless came back a few minutes later all friendly again. Oh well, people do stuff like that; no sense in making a big thing about it.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

chupacabra555

Post by chupacabra555 »

Senna just doesn't know Sandra's fanbase, doesn't she? :D

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

One question is how Sandra's big geek fanbase will interact with her previously intended career as a high fashion model. Let's assume that Senna does know something about her own world and its people; she may not be sabotaging Sandra's standing there as effectively as she hopes, but she won't be doing it much good either. And Domenico's people were training Sandra to fit into that world.

So Domenico comes back to discover... What? Sandra somewhat prepared to work as a high fashion model, sure; Zoe and Tatiana shaking their heads, still uncertain about her; and Sandra's Web site showing a huge number of hits, with fan mail arriving from people who are surely as alien to him as to Tatiana. Even if he's flaky and amused by things like the video of Sandra's revolutionary speech, rather than as annoyed as Zoe, it's not relevant to him.

He's not likely to want to switch from his current ultra-prestigious line of work to geeky cosplay shoots. I guess he may be artistically inspired by what he sees to adopt a particular style for work with Sandra (driving Senna further up the wall); that would be a rather arbitrary plot twist, but unless Sandra strikes out on her own, and the comic drops three moderately well-established and amusing characters and one cypher (the stylist), it's the only way I can think for the plot to hold together.
---------
Spidrift

Hogan

Post by Hogan »

I've noticed that the authors seems to buy their plot-glue from a very alien source... I'm SO going to see where all of this takes us... *packs canteen, machete, maps and shotgun*

Miss Vavavavoom
Location: Oz, living in the Emerald City with the Scarecrow as my sugar daddy

Post by Miss Vavavavoom »

vampire hunter D wrote:Yup, didn,t see that coming at all.

And always nice to see those two. Please tell me they,re going to be frequent regulars
We ALL saw this coming.
I'm Miss Sugar Pink
Liquor, liqour lips
Hit me with your sweet love, steal me with a kiss
I'm Miss Sugar Pink
Liquor, liqour lips
I'm gonna be your bubblegum bitch

Resident burlesque queen and sex kitten.
Looking for an artist for my comic! Please message me if you are interested

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

So, is Marie building a shrine as well? :P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

tanonev

Post by tanonev »

Fluffy wrote:
Raamyah wrote:Wow, Marie - you must love Sandra a whole lot to forget the jilting Alex gave you a few updates ago. Even if it is temporary.
I have to wonder if this may be a loop back to before that incident (at the point that they were looking at the website as the photos kept uploading).

As for the cosplay thing - the whole 'Emma Frost is blonde, so the cosplay is ruined' thing can be explained away by claiming Sandra was in the middle of changing into the cosplay and hadn't donned the wig yet or she was somehow possessed by Jean Grey/Phoenix (to explain the red hair).

Die hard fans can come up with some far-fetching excuses to explain away something that is clearly wrong when it comes to something they perceive as perfect.
Orrr...Alex and Marie can be mature enough to take the "cosplay is for everyone" diversity stance.

Hey, I can dream, can't I? :P (To be fair, it's not too far-fetched, considering that they fell in love with Sandra for tackling the gender gap in gaming.)

Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot

Post by Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot »

Actually, it looked like Tatiana grabbed the iPad from Senna immediately after the very last shot she took, but there was enough time and dialogue taking place during the rest of the "shoot" so that Senna might well have uploaded all but that one (which might also explain Senna's facial expression as Tatiana grabbed the iPad and ran).

And Tatiana has now committed (at least temporarily, at least in her own mind) to NOT sabotage Sandra's career anymore. I can't help thinking that she'll probably inadvertently do more damage now by NOT trying to sabotage Sandra than she did while she WAS trying deliberately to destroy her (because, you know...comedy).

Raamyah
Creator of small worlds

Post by Raamyah »

Spidrift wrote:Didn't you see when she came to terms with that problem a couple of strips later? She's just being admirably level-headed.
...I don't know about that. I believe it will come up again later on, from pretty much the point she left off from.
"There are four pillars of existence that support the very foundations of the universe: the speed of light in a vacuum, the Planck constant, Newtonian gravity, and the all-encompassing awesomeness of breasts." - Pauli Polsuo

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid." - Anonymous

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

It's still a problem; it's still going to have to be dealt with eventually. But Marie has decided to tackle it by easy stages while continuing to hang out with Alex. (Frankly, this is attack of basic sanity makes me wonder if she's too sensible for the Ma3 universe.) So seeing her continuing to hang out with Alex should be no surprise at all to anyone.
---------
Spidrift

Ecchi-Spud
Wielder of the Remote

Post by Ecchi-Spud »

=)) =)) =))
Many thanks to Raamyah for the avvie!!!!

David Johnston

Post by David Johnston »

sukebe senpai wrote:I'm surprised by Senna's unfamiliarity with the impact of fetishwear on the fashion world. Hasn't she heard of Thierry Mugler or Helmut Newton?
That was a while ago though, wasn't it?

Odd Man Out

Post by Odd Man Out »

Liking the Alex and Marie reactions but really enjoying how Senna looks in this strip. When she first showed up in SotR I couldn't help thinking she looked painfully thin and angular but those problems appear to be well and truly gone.