2013-10-29 Your bedroom floor

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

themacnut

Re: 2013-10-29 Your bedroom floor

Post by themacnut »

Spidrift wrote: (I have to admit, though, this is the sort of strip that reminds me why I have quite such a large soft spot for Scary-Go-Round - a comic where even teenage geeks can take this sort of hint when it's staring them in the face.)
The HUGE difference between the Scary-Go-Round comic and this installment of SOTR is that in SGR the girl at least took the initiative to kiss the boy and get things started. Marie just...lay there. Teenage boys, the geeky ones anyway, generally need more clue than that (see Rocky's post for another excellent example of Guys Don't Get Female Hints. Epic levels of cluelessness? Maybe, but the girl could also have just asked Rocky to the dance and been done with it.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

That Guy

Post by That Guy »

Forget money, we need to set up charities and donate clues.

Dorgengoa
BANNED

Post by Dorgengoa »

As long as this doesn't turn into an "Everybody Loves Raymond"-style gender scenario, I don't see much of an issue. Y'know, the whole "Men are dumb, but well-meaning, while the women are shrewish and unreasonable" thing.
This is getting out of hand.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Spidrift wrote:
Adamas wrote:*smacks Alex with a Cluex12* I'd use my Bowie facepalm, but I seem to have lost it.
You mean Image?

This one:

Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Hurbster

Post by Hurbster »

FrostDancer81 wrote:Dude is clueless and girl goes tsundere mode and doesn't explain what she means and her feelings for him. What else is new? :p
Bit of a recurring theme here I think.
"We're only immortal for a limited time. " - Dreamline.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

themacnut wrote:
Spidrift wrote:(I have to admit, though, this is the sort of strip that reminds me why I have quite such a large soft spot for Scary-Go-Round - a comic where even teenage geeks can take this sort of hint when it's staring them in the face.)
The HUGE difference between the Scary-Go-Round comic and this installment of SOTR is that in SGR the girl at least took the initiative to kiss the boy and get things started.
Well, yes. That's the other thing about SGR; teenage girls with enough sense to compensate for occasionally clueless males, and to be good-humoured about it, even as the needle on the teen male's IQ meter slams into the left-hand stop.

(Nice line in the latest Bad Machinery on the subject, actually. "None of the boys who might help can make a sentence any more. They caught PUBERTY. I have to fold my arms a lot.")

(Aaaargh. I now have visions of Sandra's fan club coming to resemble Shelley Winters's. There was "fan fiction".)
Dorgengoa wrote:As long as this doesn't turn into an "Everybody Loves Raymond"-style gender scenario, I don't see much of an issue. Y'know, the whole "Men are dumb, but well-meaning, while the women are shrewish and unreasonable" thing.
You mean, standard old-school sitcom, conventional teen comedy, and default teen comedy manga?
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Pking

Post by Pking »

I cant really fault the guy. In order to pick up on the cues he'd have to be paying attention to them in the first place. While alot of guys would be receptive to their female friends being in a relationship with them you have to change the way you view them slightly. There's looking at her as a friend and there's looking at her as a woman who is also a friend.

Quinlan1973

Post by Quinlan1973 »

Yep, thought that would end something along those lines. #-o

KiTA

Post by KiTA »

It's called the Westermarck effect. If you grow up with someone of the opposite gender identity, you tend to instinctively reject them as a sexual being.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westermarck_effect

enigmaxtreme

Post by enigmaxtreme »

When will the day come when a woman makes the first move? Speaking as a guy, we are idiots, you basically have to take your shirt off before we get the hint....

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

To be fair to ourselves, it's partly idiocy, but partly politeness-or-caution. Misinterpreting a woman's actions as an invitation when they aren't can make for embarrassing impoliteness at best, serious criminal charges at worst.

(Which isn't explicitly crossing Alex's mind here, but may plausibly be his habit of mind.)
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

philippos42

Post by philippos42 »

So much for Gallic suavity!

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

They're speaking English.
---------
Spidrift

JTheCreator

Post by JTheCreator »

enigmaxtreme wrote:When will the day come when a woman makes the first move? Speaking as a guy, we are idiots, you basically have to take your shirt off before we get the hint....
Basically this and what the next guy said. We hate being in awkward and embarassing situations, especially when we cause them. Plus, you ladies have the horrible habit of not just friend zoning a guy, but avoiding him like the plague if he shows unrequited interest. So these days, we try not to look too much into your "hints" unless they come with a side order of boobs.
Behold, my current in development comic book series and the many links you could share for me!

Twitter Feed: https://twitter.com/DaemosChronicle

Raamyah
Creator of small worlds

Post by Raamyah »

A side order of boobs goes well with just about anything.

I'm betting, since they've been together as kids, Alex made a pass at Marie at some point in the past, but Marie didn't notice or friendzoned him immediately. Granted, this happened when they were much younger, so it's been programmed into his brain that Marie is just his friend. Either that, or this is the latest in a long string of incidents where Marie has tried to get Alex's attention. Why do you think they wrestled so much as kids? Alex, pay attention!
"There are four pillars of existence that support the very foundations of the universe: the speed of light in a vacuum, the Planck constant, Newtonian gravity, and the all-encompassing awesomeness of breasts." - Pauli Polsuo

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid." - Anonymous