2013-10-11 Tao absurdo

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Mandy

Re: 2013-10-11 Tao absurdo

Post by Mandy »

^Sometimes making a hobby into a career is a bad move. It can ruin how much you enjoy said hobby.
Oh wait, Gary works in a call center. Nevermind, go for it, Gary! Quick! Before your job back in Montreal gets sent overseas.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

However, Gary has already made that mistake, if it is one for him. He's trying hard to become a pro artist.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Hard ? Really ? If not for Yuki, he may never had started a comic. He probably still would be drawing some Matt's expies. Granted, being an artist doesn't make you a scenarist, but still...

Quote removed. The DAMNed

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

"Matt's expies"? "Scenarist"? Sorry, not quite getting the banter there, squadron leader.

Anyway, okay - Gary tries moderately hard when kicked a bit and diverted from his hobbies. I get the impression he wants to be an artist, quite seriously, but has poor impulse control.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

For clarity: he would still be drawing handsome men as practice, and when you wanna draw a comic, you need a scenario. I was speculating that Gary maybe doesn't feel comfortable enough on scenarization and that stopped him from beginning a comic on his own, given it's Yuki who provides the scenario.
One of the things I'd like to see, by the way, is a working session between Gary and Yuki (one strip would be enough), just to have an idea of their chemistry (or lack of) in this area.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Both links are not safe for work.

We have, on two separate occasions. (three if you count Sonya's attempt at modeling for Gary).
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Bambikles wrote:For clarity: he would still be drawing handsome men as practice,
An "expy" is a character from one piece of fiction imitated in ("exported to") another piece. Some of the characters in Magick Chicks are expies of characters in my Little Pony, for example. As Matt is real in Gary's world, drawing him isn't creating an expy for Gary. It's just drawing him.
Bambikles wrote:... and when you wanna draw a comic, you need a scenario.
The normal English term would be "story". In this case, the story would take the form of a script. "Scenario" means something more vague, unless you're playing tabletop RPGs. Anyhow, you need a script to create a comic, but you don't need one to create comics-style art.
Bambikles wrote:I was speculating that Gary maybe doesn't feel comfortable enough on scenarization and that stopped him from beginning a comic on his own, given it's Yuki who provides the scenario.
Gary has never claimed to be a writer; Yuki does that, and it was indeed her looking for an artist that pushed him into actually developing a complete comic. However, even before that, he was failing to come up with sample pieces, spending his money on toys instead of art classes, and generally seeming aimless and unambitious. My impression is that he was dreaming about becoming an artist, but found taking any of the possible first steps toward that career too challenging or scary until Yuki came along and gave him a hard shove.
---------
Spidrift

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

My impression is that he was dreaming about becoming an artist, but found taking any of the possible first steps toward that career too challenging or scary until Yuki came along and gave him a hard shove.
So we agree. That was more or less what I was trying to say. He wasn't really trying. :ymblushing:

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

I spy a Schtroumpf!!!

(Someone had to finally say it.)
CaliforniaDave wrote:Senna's narcissism is veering dangerously into Kuzco territory.
You have thrown off the Empresses's groove! X(
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)