2013-10-04 Do both

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Spidrift

Re: 2013-10-04 Do both

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:Sandra's interest in geek culture is motivated by her job, but I didn't think Senna cared so much about real culture.
Senna has doubtless been showing off a lot, but she name-drops authentic cultural locations remarkably easily. Not just the Louvre and Notre Dame, or even the Pompidou Centre, but also the Musee Rodin and the Galerie Di Meo. If she plays at being cultured in order to look cool, she throws herself into it with some enthusiasm.

And remember, she's been implied to be quite bright; she speaks five languages.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

sukebe senpai

Post by sukebe senpai »

Belgium has also given us comic artists like Bob de Groot, André_Franquin, et al.
FIRRIB

Darkdrifter

Post by Darkdrifter »

This might be gary's thought process:

See! A D20 and a Hat! It's Culture!

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

@Thor: =)) =)) =))

That was like one of the best posts ever.

I especially <3 the call-out to Luxembourg, which is the cutest nation on earth.

But, yeah, right now I'm also puzzled. The HHGttG reference may be it, though?
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Much as I love frites and chocolate, I reckon we're overthinking here. Gary's brain was asked to actually generate a meaningful response to a social problem, divided by zero, and generated random output.
Last edited by Spidrift on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

thebitterfig

Post by thebitterfig »

My sense is that this is actually a political joke. The Flemish and the Walloons, for example.

That said, I won't say boo to Belgian beer.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Spidrift wrote:and one of the main landmarks in their capital city is this:
Hey, it's the Atomium, a remnant of World's Fair 1958. Just like the Eiffel Tower is a remnant of the 1889 World's Fair. :p
But then I remembered going to France, my dad did a wrong turn or something and a gendarme (French Police) stopped us, about to give us a ticket, then seeing the license plate from Belgium, just rolled his eyes and waved us through. So I guess sometimes being the butt of everyone's joke is beneficial... maybe?
Belgians are statistically and officially among the worst drivers in Europe. It's because until 1977, you needn't to pass an exam to get your driving license. Just swear that you know how to drive. Just do the math about how many Belgian drivers really don't know how to drive. :-ss
Belgium IS the surrealist country after all.

Hurbster

Post by Hurbster »

Off to see a small boy pissing ?
"We're only immortal for a limited time. " - Dreamline.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I hope not. That's a very small statue in a very small corner of the town square. Even if every tourist gift shop does have a thousand copies of it.
---------
Spidrift

DinoJake

Post by DinoJake »

Brussels, huh? Could be worse.

Least they're not going to fucking Bruges.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I don't know what's wrong with Bruges. Not very geeky, but insanely picturesque, as I recall.
---------
Spidrift

DinoJake

Post by DinoJake »