Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Eisu

2013-10-01 Geek Sheik

Post by Eisu »

Fluffy

Re: 2013-10-01 Geek Sheik

Post by Fluffy »

OMG look at that face on her in that last panel.

She's getting hooked and neither one know it (so adorable!).

(yes, I'm more than likely jumping to conclusions - sue me! I think they're cute!)
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Mutant for Hire

Post by Mutant for Hire »

What's interesting are the backgrounds of panels three and four. Not sure what those mean.

tenchi13

Post by tenchi13 »

I get the feeling this crossover is actually a transition and that Gary will be in SOTR for quite a while. That is, unless Sandra is a really, really fast learner.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Mutant for Hire wrote:What's interesting are the backgrounds of panels three and four. Not sure what those mean.
I think it's self explanatory - Gary love of geek chic and Sandra's hope that he can catch her up on such things.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Not sure that Sandra's getting hooked on Gary yet, but she obviously needs his knowledge of "geek sheik" so very badly. Let's hope Gary's at least a halfway decent teacher for her sake.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

Geek Sheik? Is that when Zelda dresses up as a ninja to play video games?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

tenchi13 wrote:I get the feeling this crossover is actually a transition and that Gary will be in SOTR for quite a while. That is, unless Sandra is a really, really fast learner.
Or unless he can, maybe, continue instructing and advising over Skype or something. He has a home and a day job to go back to, and this is by definition computer/internet stuff.

And at the moment it looks like business and friendship, not romance. Gary is well accustomed now to having non-sexual friendships with women, after all. It could develop in all sorts of ways, but romantically, there are complications. Though whether we're talking friendship or romance, it might not hurt Gary to learn that, even if his natural social constituency is girls with geeky interests, that doesn't have to limit him to a single ball-crushing psychotic.

Also, if Sandra is going to be working in the fashion industry, in Paris, she needs to learn the word "chic".
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Raamyah
Creator of small worlds

Post by Raamyah »

I certainly wish Gary and Sandra a good friendship, but Sandra belongs with Pierre (or Didi).
"There are four pillars of existence that support the very foundations of the universe: the speed of light in a vacuum, the Planck constant, Newtonian gravity, and the all-encompassing awesomeness of breasts." - Pauli Polsuo

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid." - Anonymous

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I wouldn't disagree with that. And over in Ma3, Sandra has apparently already noticed that Gary is a bit of a wimp ("art imitating life"), which I don't think is especially her taste.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Fluffy wrote:OMG look at that face on her in that last panel.

She's getting hooked and neither one know it (so adorable!).
Only in the same sense as this:

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

*sighs* Did I not say that I was probably jumping to conclusions with my statement and that I just thought they looked cute together? Amazing how people miss that last part. :/

In regards to the strip - at least Sandra wants Gary to teach her all these things she needs to know in order to better fill her role as a geek chic model. Jacob, on the other hand, was just an insanely wimpy kid who wanted someone else to do the hard work for him.

tenchi13

Post by tenchi13 »

Spidrift wrote:
tenchi13 wrote:I get the feeling this crossover is actually a transition and that Gary will be in SOTR for quite a while. That is, unless Sandra is a really, really fast learner.
Or unless he can, maybe, continue instructing and advising over Skype or something. He has a home and a day job to go back to, and this is by definition computer/internet stuff.

And at the moment it looks like business and friendship, not romance. Gary is well accustomed now to having non-sexual friendships with women, after all. It could develop in all sorts of ways, but romantically, there are complications. Though whether we're talking friendship or romance, it might not hurt Gary to learn that, even if his natural social constituency is girls with geeky interests, that doesn't have to limit him to a single ball-crushing psychotic.

Also, if Sandra is going to be working in the fashion industry, in Paris, she needs to learn the word "chic".
True, he does have a home and job to go back to, but arrangements can be made. He could quit the mundane job and find something in Paris. Maybe even a job as a graphics artist at the same game studio where Sandra will model. As long as he attends to Senna more than Sandra (and Tatiana), he'll have food and shelter covered until he can get his own money. As for his home, that's an easy one. Peggy can't sleep on Sonya's couch forever. Temporarily, she can move in and pay Gary's share of the rent. If he's not back when the lease is up, Peggy can put her name on it. Eulice wouldn't care one way or the other as long as she gets the rent on time.

I said before that Gary currently doesn't have a chance in hell with Sandra romantically and there hasn't been any recent development to negate that. Tatiana, on the other hand, has some interesting and painful ideas in mind. There are also unexplored possibilities with Zoe (maybe not so much) and Lavali. Before any of that, there's still Senna. I just see a lot more for Gary to do in Paris than in Montreal... but one of them is not teaching Sandra the meaning of "chic". Zoe will have to earn her keep somehow.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Lavali looks like a minor redshirt who we may never see again. Zoe... Oh God, that's intimidation on a level which makes Yuki, Ruby, and Tatiana all together look like an easy prospect. A self-contained glamazon who's survived the worst that the fashion business can throw at a girl. Probably dates media plutocrats. I doubt she'd even notice that Gary exists.
---------
Spidrift

Crystafent82

Post by Crystafent82 »

I don't know, i never found Zoe more intimidating than the other girls together.
Not that i would take her lightly but not worse than the others.
She seems very astute and have an eye for details. So if suddenly Gary shows up and teaches/tells Sandra everything she needs to know to be considered a geek chic and therefore keep the necessary profile for that game job she won't object.
The person she WILL object to is Senna. Teaching Sandra to be a model is her job, not Senna's.

Actually, that would make quite an interesting cat fight.
Someone got a big inflatable pool and enough jelly to fill it?
You can never be too old to have fun.

If you can't tell by now, English is not my first language.
Eisu wrote:The nipples makes a lot of difference, it's all technical.
You can quote me on that too.