2013-10-01 Geek Sheik

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Spidrift

Re: 2013-10-01 Geek Sheik

Post by Spidrift »

Zoe doesn't strike me as scary the way that some of the others do, because she doesn't need to be. She's not some berserk psycho or full-time bitch. She's just not the sort to take crap from anyone, and she's in complete command of her personal resources. I just get the feeling that she'd look right through Gary. He'd be irrelevant to her. Actually, she comes across as one of the few grown-ups in this narrative universe.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Random Passer By

Post by Random Passer By »

She should start a blog on her website about being a born-again geek, admit how unknowledgeable she is of current geek culture and show her efforts to try and rediscover her inner geekiness using suggestions from her fans for what to look into as a new girl gamer. Much more practical than trying to cram in knowledge on short notice as though she were facing an exam in the morning. A true geek would see through such an effort but honesty may gain her some extra respect (plus it's way more fun).

Oh yes, and don't forget to include a load of sexy cosplay photos for each new thing she tries. She is a model after all.

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

I don't think Gary's likely to get past the friend zone with Sandra, which is fine with me. He could use a friend ( female or otherwise) who's not crazy or trying to get into his pants- or both! Maybe Sandra will help him grow a much needed spine.

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

Yeah its looking like Gary is going to be friendzoned by Sandra that is unless Pierre does something stupid and Gary grows a spine but I highly doubt that.

xetalon

Post by xetalon »

You're speaking like Gary wants more than simple friendship, and that's absolutely not the case here.

Quote removed. The DAMNed

brasca

Post by brasca »

Fluffy wrote:OMG look at that face on her in that last panel.

She's getting hooked and neither one know it (so adorable!).

(yes, I'm more than likely jumping to conclusions - sue me! I think they're cute!)
It's cute, but inexplicable. Gary does have an inadvertent way of charming women with his passivity, but it usually works on those who are single. Kylie, Yuki, Sonya, and now Senna didn't have anybody immediately in their lives. Sandra has Pierre and I doubt she'd be so won over by Gary's knowledge of geek chic to choose him over the other.

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

xetalon wrote:
zaprzapb wrote:Yeah its looking like Gary is going to be friendzoned by Sandra that is unless Pierre does something stupid and Gary grows a spine but I highly doubt that.
You're speaking like Gary wants more than simple friendship, and that's absolutely not the case here.
I should have worded it that Gary and Sandra are going to mutually friendzone each other like Gary and Zii did.

Templar Woolf

Post by Templar Woolf »

Random Passer By wrote:She should start a blog on her website about being a born-again geek, admit how unknowledgeable she is of current geek culture and show her efforts to try and rediscover her inner geekiness using suggestions from her fans for what to look into as a new girl gamer. Much more practical than trying to cram in knowledge on short notice as though she were facing an exam in the morning. A true geek would see through such an effort but honesty may gain her some extra respect (plus it's way more fun).
Oh yes, and don't forget to include a load of sexy cosplay photos for each new thing she tries. She is a model after all.
Gary can help with the basics but geek culture has such a wide base, being able to cover even a small part of it would be hard.
Movies, comics, manga, anime, video games, computers are just starting points.

Comics - Marvel, DC or Indie. I read 2000AD for about 15 years from when it started and can still remember it but would not be able to even name the current story lines.
Video Games, computer or console, which console, what genre, FPS RPG, MMO etc.

She has no chance of winging it for any length of time and zero chance if she were being interviewed.
The honesty approach has the best chance of success.
We geeks are forgiving and willing to help, however we can but can see straight through someone trying to pull a fast one in our area of expertise.
Look for the rainbow.
Don't just stare at the rain.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:It's cute, but inexplicable. Gary does have an inadvertent way of charming women with his passivity, but it usually works on those who are single. Kylie, Yuki, Sonya, and now Senna didn't have anybody immediately in their lives. Sandra has Pierre and I doubt she'd be so won over by Gary's knowledge of geek chic to choose him over the other.
Sandra is a wee bit panic-prone and emotional. (Well, so are most of these characters. Comedy.) She thinks she's in over her head with this geek icon thing, and Gary won't be helping there - he's classic geek, he gives long lists of details instead of simplifying or clarifying.

So Sandra thinks she needs help, and Gary is what's available. He's a lifebelt. It's probably not at all sexual, it's something even more primal.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Bobluvsandra

Post by Bobluvsandra »

Sigh..Sandra is SOOOO CUTE!!! Hey, I know I keep saying this..can't wait for a collected book on the series to be ready!

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

"For the first time in a long time... Everything was right in my world.

And then I woke up." - Dream Theater, A Fortune in Lies

That's the last panel. It looks like a dream come true for Gary. But already the new Ma3 ruins everything... =((
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

Yeah I was kinda hoping that Sandra and Gary would become mutual friends but its now looking like that won't happen.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

If you mean that Gary gets his wake-up call in panel 4, then I agree with you. If you mean that he's still got a dream coming true until the latest Ma3 strip, then you haven't looked at panel 4 here properly. Sandra is radiating a terrible hunger that has nothing to do with sex and little to do with friendship - and I think that even Gary has picked up that there's something a little off there. She's quite seriously worried about her new situation, and it's making her desperate.
---------
Spidrift

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Wow, you really think that lowly of Sandra? I mean, yeah, she wants Gary to teach her geek culture stuff, but that doesn't mean she doesn't want to be friends with Gary. The way you're saying it, it's as if ALL that Sandra is seeing when she sees Gary is just a tool or something... when I drew panel 4, I was more thinking of "Asking for help from a future friend" and not "Desperate worry and want this guy to just teach her geek culture for nothing else than just as a tool and someone Sandra will dump the moment she gets what she wants" at all.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I don't think that Sandra is a bad person - and anyway, I can sympathise with desperation - but you really did make her look a bit too desperate in that last panel. It's the big crazy eyes and the fixed grin. And when someone looks that desperate, I assume that their other motives will be put on hold for a while.

I'm happy to believe that they can be friends, and I'm sure that Sandra is too nice to just throw Gary away when she's had what she wants from him. But I wanted to point out that Sandra's motives look completely non-sexual here. I also thought that Gary's expression in that last panel meant that he'd seen how crazy Sandra looked, and was a bit unnerved by it.
---------
Spidrift