2013-09-13 Home sweet home

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: 2013-09-13 Home sweet home

Post by Don Alexander »

Sandra's face in panel two YUUUUUUUUUUUS :ymdevil:
'J' wrote:aww, no more overlap with ma3 :(
Eisu was probably getting sick of Spi dissing his art skills. ;)
Bambikles wrote::ymparty: Congrats and all the things, Spidrift !
4000.... *yawn*

:P

Anyway, it seems Spi was right, for comedic purposes, Senna's move on Pierre (including being very rude toward Sandra) was a punchline and does not seem to carry any consequences with it.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I really hope that I didn't come across as dissing.

As to Senna and Pierre - well, it could have had consequences, and actually, if you'd asked me I'd have guessed that we'd get another strip or two in the boulangerie. For that matter, there may still be follow-up - wanna bet what Senna might do if she gets bored while Gary and Sandra are geeking out together? But these are comedy comics, and sometimes, a joke is just a joke.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

personally, i really enjoy looking at how two different artists with different styles depict the same scene
Yet still, I live...

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

For the record, I don't see it as a dis cos I agree that, to me, Giz is a superior artist that I look up to and aspire to be. This is my opinion though, tastes may vary.

ubiquitousnewt

Post by ubiquitousnewt »

Gary's kinda gross sometimes. Way to slime all over the ginger gamer girl while you're out with your transgendered date & travel companion. ...Dork.

I mean, sure, Senna's kinda awful, but being awful *yourself* doesn't make a right.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

And Senna flirting shamelessly with another man in front of Gary is any better...how?

At least in Gary's case, his attention was diverted based on a gaming system Sandra had purchased, and not Sandra herself (and not only did he help Sandra out with what she needed gaming wise, but he also made the shop keep far more money as a result). Hell, even now, his attention towards Sandra is not about Sandra herself, but the fact she's modeling for a video game character.

What was Senna's excuse for flirting with Pierre, outside of lustful intent?
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

I will agree with Fluffy on hoping that this at least leads to an art gig for Gary and he gets paid for it. He's gotten more breaks in his sex/love life now he needs a big break in his professional life.

TanktheTortoise

Post by TanktheTortoise »

Everyone seems to be thinking of Gary's reaction as nerding out, but am I the only person who thought he was attempting to break up the fight using the age old 'hey look a distraction'?

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

Nah Gary isn't that clever he's just having a nerdgasm over Sandra modeling as a video game character.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Fluffy wrote:And Senna flirting shamelessly with another man in front of Gary is any better...how?
Honestly, we're into plain old "two wrongs don't make a right" here. Senna is a terrible person, but Gary is still an exasperating clueless dork.

On top of which, very few of us expect much else of Senna, who's also a secondary character, whereas Gary is the protagonist and to some extent a reader identification character; seeing him being socially inept as well as a bit rude induces forehead-slapping on an epic scale. He'll never get anywhere with nicer company than Senna if he can't do better than this.

(And by the way, I think that I've typed comments on Senna's horribleness into every post I've made on these boards for the last month. Can we just take that as read from now on?)
TanktheTortoise wrote:Everyone seems to be thinking of Gary's reaction as nerding out, but am I the only person who thought he was attempting to break up the fight using the age old 'hey look a distraction'?
Gary with social skills?

Puhhh-LEEEEEASE.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

cellabella

Post by cellabella »

I'm a little confused by the "no thanks to you" response.

Senna could have left Sandra to twist in the wind in Rio. She didn't. She gave her a job, one that directly led to Sandra meeting Domenico, who arguably she poached from Senna, and is now enjoying the fabulous life. So it's entirely due to Senna that Sandra is where she is, instead of drinking herself into a stupor and slinging hash in Montreal.

I'm also not impressed with Gary's behavior. Senna is not being amazing, but I dunno, could that have something to do with the fact that she brought this dude across the ocean for a change of scenery and some culture and the first thing he does is plaster himself all over a video game store? And then starts splooging over someone that he now knows she had issues with, whether the issues were exaggerated or not?

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Senna would deserve some credit for Sandra's rise to stardom if she had any actual hand in it - which she didn't. Domenico just happened to notice Sandra when she drew attention to herself by yelling at Senna after being abused one too many times (Sandra was either on the verge of quitting or killing Senna before Domenico intervened).

And really, I don't get the hate that Gary is receiving for being himself. It's not his fault that Senna didn't bother to get to know him better before dragging him off to Paris for a date (he did try to pick some places in Montreal; but she rejected them both for being too mundane/silly). He was considerate to her by not only agreeing to go to Paris like she wanted to (despite his deathly fear of flying), but also joining the mile high club with her (drunk out of his gourde, true - but she still had fun).

I think making an attempt at tolerating Gary's moment of geekiness is the least that Senna can do for him at this point (which, she doesn't seem to want to do - even going so far as forgetting that Gary exists until Sandra reminded her that he was still around - and even then, she seems bored with him, already).
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

David Johnston

Post by David Johnston »

I suspect he couldn't do anything better calculated to retain Senna's interest if he was capable of making that kind of calculation.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

It's not hate. It's some mix of disdain, despair, contempt, and exasperation. Maybe even some pity. If this is the best that Gary can do with his opportunities, he's just plain hopeless. Nice, funny, or of an all-too-familiar type, maybe, sort of, but ultimately someone who just needs shaking. Except if you shook him, he'd just wobble like a jelly - and one can't even hate a jelly.

It's the old problem with the comic; the most central character is just a schmuck. And he seems to be incapable of becoming anything else.
---------
Spidrift

Ophidiophile

Post by Ophidiophile »

Or maybe Gary has come up with an exit strategy? I think he might be in denial about what Senna expects from him.

I wasn't a reader of MA3, but when Gary and Senna showed up in SOTR, I decided to go back and read it. So I now know why Gary would want an exit strategy, and why Senna has been acting like a prick. Although I'm still not sure what happens between now and #750. Or after. It would be hilarious if what Senna gave her okay to was for Gary and Sandra to spend the evening playing video games.