10-09-13 How is that good news

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Spidrift

Re: 10-09-13 How is that good news

Post by Spidrift »

I've probably repeated the point more than often enough now (and it wasn't even me picked it up originally), so yes, I'll happily give it a rest from now on. But I think it's mildly interesting, because Gary, as a character, has a built-in contradiction; he's cute, and practically everyone in-universe started commenting on this from the start of the comic, but he was also sexually unsuccessful, lacked self-confidence, and was generally tagged as a geek. Not attributes usually associated with good looks.

Giz's trick for squaring this circle was to use his posture - or, if you prefer, his body language (which happens to be something at which she's rather good). Gary was continually folding up and ducking down, so his body language conveyed a perpetual near-panic and lack of confidence. And if someone's body language is doing this so much of the time, they have poor posture. Posture is what you do with your body; Gary uses his body to convey his nervous uncertainty. The fact that he doesn't actually seem to get back trouble as a result is just his good luck.

(Somebody else pointed out a big problem with Geri in the volume 4 bonus strips; she has Gary's clean good looks, without his body language. Put that face on a slim, upright feminine figure, and you get a female character who should have no trouble at all getting dates.)

Eisu uses body language less extravagantly (though he's perfectly competent at figure drawing); if he wants to tag someone as a geek (or whatever), it'll more often come through facial features (not an option with Gary) or build. His Gary - a perfectly decent depiction of the character - probably needs to be a bit skinnier if we're going to believe in him as a geek.

As to Giz's other male characters - do they really slouch that much? So far as I can think, Dillon seems prone to poised, extrovert, slightly stylised, camp mannerisms - totally in character, of course, and hence slightly irritating at times, for me at least. Matt is, surprise surprise, comfortable and relaxed in his own skin; if he leans or relaxes, it's not a slouch; it's more likely to look like a well-judged pose...
Last edited by Spidrift on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Gary barely passes for a geek in Ma3 nowadays, anyway; so why does it matter that he doesn't look like one in SOTR?

He collects comic book, watches countless anime, loves cartoons, enjoys conventions, is a gamer, is computer savvy. These things make Gary a geek; not his appearance.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Also, to be fair, the first two panels I drew Gary has a bit of a slouch in his posture. It's just the last panel I wanted to show him be more excited that they're going to Sandra's place to play the Wii U so he arched his back a bit and opened his arms to the side.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Bambikles wrote:Well, I hate to say this, but in a way I have to agree. He basically dumped his morning with Senna for videogames. That's...sad. But that's for comedy. Gary reacts like an automaton, an addict or someone under pavlovian conditioning here.
True, but Senna is such a diva that she'd do the same to Gary if someone important paid attention to her all of a sudden. At least Gary isn't ogling Sandra just the games she's buying.

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

Gary is being thoughtless by forgetting that not everyone is interested in video games, but does anyone think Senna really cares what Gary's interests are either? This is a classic short term fling that's all.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Senna is doubtless perfectly capable of being rude herself, but that's not the point. First, whatever she might do in future, right now, Gary owes Senna, big time. Second, in any case, politeness isn't just about being nice to people who are guaranteed to be nice to you. And third, Gary is turning down opportunities he might not get again, to expand his experience, probably improve his work, and exercisde his supposed taste for aesthetic pleasures - in favour of exactly the sort of things he does back home.

In other words, he's looking ungrateful, rude, and sad.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

How does Gary owe something big to Senna? He agreed to go on a date with her and that's all he owes her Hell, he suggested a couple of places to go to in Montreal - both of which Senna rejected because she thought they were too silly or bland. He only agreed to going to Paris because he was considerate to Senna's thoughts on what would make a perfect date spot - not to be exposed to culture or be dragged off to museums).

In fact, i think it would be far more rude of him to fake interest in Senna's interests than it would be to be himself in front of her.
Last edited by Fluffy on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Anybody who doesn't feel a little bit indebted for a free trip to Paris - by private jet, even - is way beyond hope.
---------
Spidrift

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Again, Gary didn't ask for it, Senna offered it to him. Besides, Gary agreed to go on a date, which Senna wanted to have in Paris.

I think the fact he dropped everything and agreed to go is gratitude enough.

FrostDancer81

Post by FrostDancer81 »

Don't care either way. Lets talk about the fact that Gary is gonna get Sandra up to speed on gaming, which could help her in the long run. :))
THE PRESIDENT HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED BY NINJAS. ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO RESCUE THE PRESIDENT? - Bad Dudes

I, who stand in the full light of the heavens command thee, who opens the gates of hell, come fourth divine lightning! This ends now! Indignation! - Jade Curtiss(Tales of the Abyss)

Indestructible—determination that is incorruptible,from the other side, a terror to behold, annihilation will be unavoidable. Every broken enemy will know, that their opponent had to be invincible. Take a last look around while you're alive, I'm an indestructible master of war! - Indestructible by Disturbed.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

It also presents a possible genuine art gig where Gary' will actually get paid for his artistic skills (if the game designers need some conceptual art made for the new Carmen Chamelia game; which is very much up Gary's alley artwise).

Hescotti

Post by Hescotti »

And at last Gary can demonstrate confidence in something he knows extensively - video game consoles and accessories. Whether this is right or wrong, good or bad, will remain to be seen. Although both Sandra and Senna will give him a kiss on the cheek, so safe assumption he doesn't screw this up TOO badly? Please?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Scumbag Gary! :D
Attachments
ScumbagGary.jpg
ScumbagGary.jpg (41.58 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

FrostDancer81

Post by FrostDancer81 »

With another model (rising in this case) who is into games. Win/win either way. :p
THE PRESIDENT HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED BY NINJAS. ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO RESCUE THE PRESIDENT? - Bad Dudes

I, who stand in the full light of the heavens command thee, who opens the gates of hell, come fourth divine lightning! This ends now! Indignation! - Jade Curtiss(Tales of the Abyss)

Indestructible—determination that is incorruptible,from the other side, a terror to behold, annihilation will be unavoidable. Every broken enemy will know, that their opponent had to be invincible. Take a last look around while you're alive, I'm an indestructible master of war! - Indestructible by Disturbed.

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

They're going back to Sandra's place? You mean Domenico's place which means he might return and Senna will drop Gary and go after Domenico instead.
Last edited by zaprzapb on Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.