2013-09-06 Very bohemian

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Spidrift

Re: 2013-09-06 Very bohemian

Post by Spidrift »

Oh by the way, just for the interest - Giz and Eisu have once more drawn the exact same scene. I think that nitpickers will insist that Eisu's version comes from a second or so later, though the same speech is being delivered in both:

---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

It is the exact same moment, Spidrift - please tell me you don't think that Senna or Gary would have been frozen in place as Senna spoke that line. :/

Eisu's version shows movement as Senna is speaking (same thing happened in the last strip- showing how both women reacted to seeing each other after meeting eyes in Giz's strip - Sandra clinging to her package while Senna clung to Gary).

So, in Giz's update tomorrow, it will no doubt begin with Gary commenting on Sandra's Wii-U and Senna looking disgruntled.

The idea of showing reactions/movement between two panels that are taking place in the exact same moment in two different strips is simply brilliant. :)
Crystafent82 wrote:@Fluffy: I don't know .. it seems more like Senna will help Sandra with modeling and posturing while Gary gets to watch and draw them. Sandra will have some artwork of herself as Chamelia while Senna keeps tabs on Gary to make sure Sandra does not use any more black magic.
Senna hates Sandra and blames her for taking Dominico's attention away from her. Why would she help Sandra become a better model? (especially when this strip shows she hopes for Sandra's failure)?
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

Raamyah wrote:Gary is just being true to himself. That is, after all, why Senna fell for him in the first place.
i'm not saying that gary has to stop being gary, or that he should give up his geeky and/or childish interests. but for bog's sake, this is a guy who works in a call center & can't afford to pay rent on his own or attend art classes, yet has somehow scored a free trip to paris with a supermodel on his arm. a little bit of appreciation for the circumstances he's lucked into would be nice.

i don't even begrudge him for being curious about french game shops, but could he at least show some sort of interest in the world outside his own bedroom?
Yet still, I live...

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

It works both ways, though.

Gary agreed to go on a date; and dates means doing things that both people will enjoy. If Senna wants him to go to museums with her (which he doesn't seem too interested in doing), Senna should suck it up and do some of the 'mundane' things regular people find entertaining.

It also makes me wonder - Senna knows that Gary is an artist, but does she know what *kind* of artist he is? I wonder what she'd think if she saw he was a comic artist and not the 'Bohemian' kind, as she claims him to be.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Fluffy wrote:It is the exact same moment, Spidrift - please tell me you don't think that Senna or Gary would have been frozen in place as Senna spoke that line. :/
Well, the "same moment", with a moment being defined as "long enough to speak seven words". Whatever.

Or it's the exact same moment taking place in two closely related parallel universes, in one of which people look like they're drawn by Giz, and in the other of which they look like Eisu's work...
Fluffy wrote:So, in Giz's update tomorrow, it will no doubt begin with Gary commenting on Sandra's Wii-U and Senna looking disgruntled.

The idea of showing reactions/movement between two panels that are taking place in the exact same moment in two different strips is simply brilliant.
It's been beautifully done so far, I agree. I shall watch how it goes with interest. If it works, I'll guess we should primarily credit Dave, who's working on both scripts.
Fluffy wrote:Senna hates Sandra and blames her for taking Dominico's attention away from her. Why would she help Sandra become a better model? (especially when this strip shows she hopes for Sandra's failure)?
Gary moderating Senna's malice, maybe?

I'll agree that Gary is unlikely to be able to appeal to Senna's better side, mostly because I don't think that she's got one. However, if she sensed that he wasn't falling for her depiction of Sandra, she might decide that it was easier to put on an act of forgiveness than to put up with Gary looking all boring and disapproving. Plus, Senna is a bit of a creature of whim, and she's currently preserving the social niceties with Sandra, faking sympathy (however unconvincingly); she's got some bitching out of her system, maybe now she can stay close to Sandra and do a lot of low-level needling. And on top of that, having Sandra owe her a favour might have some advantages in future.

Whatever - we know that they'll negotiate some sort of truce in the near future; we'll just have to keep watching to discover the terms of the treaty.
Fluffy wrote:It also makes me wonder - Senna knows that Gary is an artist, but does she know what *kind* of artist he is? I wonder what she'd think if she saw he was a comic artist and not the 'Bohemian' kind, as she claims him to be.
Frankly, not likely to be an issue. Senna has name-dropped the Pompidou Centre and the Galerie Di Meo (which seems to be a very hip, modern place) in the last three strips, and we know that she also admits to enjoying Brazilian soaps. I'm sure that she's perfectly comfortable with a pose of post-modern cultural relativism. She'd probably start introducing Gary to other people as someone who works on bandes dessinées, though.

Double post merged. The DAMNed
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Spidrift wrote:
Fluffy wrote:Senna hates Sandra and blames her for taking Dominico's attention away from her. Why would she help Sandra become a better model? (especially when this strip shows she hopes for Sandra's failure)?
Gary moderating Senna's malice, maybe?
That's the funniest thing I've read all day. :))

Gary's going to have as much luck changing Senna for the better (even in the most minor way) as Senna does making Gary more cultured.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

'J' wrote:i don't even begrudge him for being curious about french game shops, but could he at least show some sort of interest in the world outside his own bedroom?
That's the point, isn't it?

It's not that "culture" should be mandatory, although God knows that Gary could use being a bit less dull. It's not that he ought to obey Senna's wishes, although providing a day's company in a beautiful city is really the least that he owes her. It's what he owes to himself. He said a long time ago that he doesn't want to be some kind of shut-in, and here he is being offered so much. It's established that he's not entirely stupid, and that he actually has a very strong visual aesthetic sense. All he has to do is go along with Senna with his eyes open. And yet, his instinct is to dive into the nearest facsimile of his bedroom.

He's either a coward or a fool.
Fluffy wrote:
Me wrote:Gary moderating Senna's malice, maybe?
That's the funniest thing I've read all day. :))

Gary's going to have as much luck changing Senna for the better (even in the most minor way) as Senna does making Gary more cultured.
I said "moderate", I didn't say "change".

Take the moderator rods out again, and she can get back to spitting out gamma radiation in the spectrum of bitch. But Gary's presence may just keep her smiling, even as she inserts the knife.
---------
Spidrift

Hogan

Post by Hogan »

Ah, you can sex up the geek, but you can never take the geek away :p

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

This strip, or the comics in general?

The issue in Ma3 generally is not about him being a geek, it's about him being a shut-in.
---------
Spidrift

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Having seen White House down, I support Sandra being played by Rachelle Lefevre in the movie.

In WHD, she looks pretty but quite... "normal", you might say. A good-looking woman, but one of many. In the Twilight saga, as Victoria, she is this bombshell of a redhead. It shows nicely how she is mutable between waitress Sandra and "budding supermodel" Sandra. Also, she's Canadian.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Spidrift wrote:If you want to see a pattern, Senna tends to be foiled by her own excessive ambition and lack of preparation. Whether she'll eventually decide that Gary is too tiresome to bother with remains to be seen, but it hadn't happened as of the #750 incident.
This strangely sounds like Sonya...

OMG, Rachel Lefevre IS Sandra ! :-o
It's amazing to the point of uncannyness.

Hescotti

Post by Hescotti »

Witchcraft indeed, Senna! :p

Gil Hamilton

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Things are going to fall completely off the rails for Senna, I think when Sandra mentions that she's the new spokesmodel for Chamelia, which is an incident that I bet dollars to donuts that Gary has seen if it went viral. At that point, I think Gary is going to lose interest in Senna (or not understand why Senna doesn't see this as an epic big deal) and thus the house of cards falls.

Raamyah
Creator of small worlds

Post by Raamyah »

If Rachelle is Sandra, who is Didi?
"There are four pillars of existence that support the very foundations of the universe: the speed of light in a vacuum, the Planck constant, Newtonian gravity, and the all-encompassing awesomeness of breasts." - Pauli Polsuo

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid." - Anonymous

Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot

Post by Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot »

Gil Hamilton wrote:[...]an incident that I bet dollars to donuts that Gary has seen if it went viral.
Not likely that Gary has seen it. He's been busy getting drunk and banging a supermodel high above the Atlantic Ocean, and then sleeping it off. This is, literally, "the morning after" for all three of these characters.