2013-08-02 It's going bubonic

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Bambikles

Re: 2013-08-02 It's going bubonic

Post by Bambikles »

Well, you can, but there a WIDE gap berween making the character evolve and basically shoehorning every moneymaking gritty trope in it while betraying its one feature that made it memorable and liked. What Tristan did to Chamelia is like if he discarded Megaman's grabing new power through the game while throwing him in Resident Evil verse. This can't possibly work or be artistically valid.

shelmaliar

Post by shelmaliar »

I like icecream!

sorry, got carried away, there :ymblushing:

Motorcycle

Post by Motorcycle »

What Tristin & a few people on this forum forget is that he was hired to do a JOB. MIC is paying him to work on a game his company owns. That means, as his boss, MIC can tell Tristin to do whatever to the game he thinks will make profit. If Tristin won't he can be fired just like any other employee like MIC hinted at. & at the end of the day that's what it's all about. Profit. Game making is a very expensive high risks business. By the time you get something finished the player's minds may have changed about that type of game or you may have misjudged your demographic as Tristin did. So you have to do everything you can to maximize gains & minimize losses. Games can be art, but that's secondary to main purpose just as with any mass producing of a product: MAKE MONEY. So Tristin now has two choices: Shut up & do his job as MIC told him or quit/get fired. Just like anyone else in the world with a job.
It's time to prove to your friends that you're worth a damn. Sometimes that means dying; sometimes that means killing a whole lot of people.

verityheld

Post by verityheld »

'J' wrote:
Mr. Bee wrote:One could say that the whole reboot was pandering for profit. Making everything darker and edgier and more violent because that's the only thing execs think will sell. "Look at that game, it sold millions of copies because it's mature, violent, and gritty. Why we can sell millions too if we make one of our already established characters like that! Who cares if the character and games before were lighthearted fare that had a significant female fan base. Girls don't play games anymore, it's all about the Call of Duty, Madden playing bro-gamer."
you could, but i wouldn't. the fact that tristan there is objecting to tampering with his 'opus' indicates that he actually cares about the project on something other than a monetary level. whether we like tristan's sense of aesthetics or his social politics is irrelevant to the fact that dr. claw is taking control of the project away from it's artist.
So what if Tristan actually cares? It's not about him, it's about the game and the fans! No more of this 'the people don't know what they want' crap! Break his legs, put a chain around his neck, pull his face tight to the drawing board, and tell him "Your vision STINKS!" "Vision' is too often an excuse for those too in love with themselves and their overhyped abilities to consider the effect on others! It's prevalent in architecture, where starchitects (praised architects) build 'artworks' that look impressive and win awards but are almost unlivable and unusable! Tristan's a prat! "Dr. Claw' has shown why he's the boss and Tristan the brat!

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

Oh hells yes

Power to Sandra for this, she has the chance to do what many of us wanted to do many times when developers went utterly DERP on us (I won't make any particular accusation to anyone....coughs-BIOWARE-coughs.)

In all seriousness while videogames are an art form they are an art form meant to be purchased and consumed for entertainment. To believe that anyone as a developer knows better then the people who are about to buy a game about what they actually like is pure insanity (Again, remember ~1.5 years ago "our fans disliked the ending of our game because they lacked context and understanding" ....yep that was totally the correct response to give).

If Tristan is so concerned about the "art" and the "integrity" of his vision he needs to go indie and not triple A big budget ESPECIALLY if spitting in the face an established series and well loved character.

Sandra, my beloved crazy redhead where were you when the mass effect fans needed you? XD

texasfanboy

Post by texasfanboy »

Storm-forge mystique wrote:...what exactly does the boss expect him to do? If he's already got enough for a demo, they're all but deep-sixing an entire game and commissioning a new one...
It's not unusual for a game to be scrapped late in development. It almost costs as much to market a game as it does to develop it, so going forward with a game based on the fact that it's "almost done" even though you suspect your target demographic will not even consider buying it is just throwing good money after bad. There've even been games cancelled as the game was being packed for shipping.

I mentioned this in the previous strip's thread, but it went up right after this strip did -- several years ago, Ubisoft demoed Splinter Cell: Conviction. They hyped up "new" mechanics like using the environment as a weapon, having to rely on hiding in plain sight instead of traditional stealth-based gameplay, abandoning the iconic stealth suit that the protagonist had worn in every other game, etc. Fans were livid. The previous game in the series had not been very popular, and one of the main reasons was that half the missions played like that. Now we were going to get an entire game based on the least popular aspects of the previous one. Essentially, it was going to be Dead Rising + Assassin's Creed, not Splinter Cell.

Ubisoft actually listened to the outrage, realized the game in the state it was in would tank, and redesigned the game. It was still disappointing compared to early games in the series, but at least it actually felt like a Splinter Cell.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

crimzontearz wrote:Sandra, my beloved crazy redhead where were you when the mass effect fans needed you? XD

Serving poutine in Montreal. :p
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

she would have made an AWESOME Femshepard model :x

Quote removed. The DAMNed

Reifan00

Post by Reifan00 »

'J' wrote:
Mr. Bee wrote:One could say that the whole reboot was pandering for profit. Making everything darker and edgier and more violent because that's the only thing execs think will sell. "Look at that game, it sold millions of copies because it's mature, violent, and gritty. Why we can sell millions too if we make one of our already established characters like that! Who cares if the character and games before were lighthearted fare that had a significant female fan base. Girls don't play games anymore, it's all about the Call of Duty, Madden playing bro-gamer."
you could, but i wouldn't. the fact that tristan there is objecting to tampering with his 'opus' indicates that he actually cares about the project on something other than a monetary level. whether we like tristan's sense of aesthetics or his social politics is irrelevant to the fact that dr. claw is taking control of the project away from it's artist.
An artist who entirely missed the point of the legacy character he was using in the first place. You get the feeling any character would have done just so he could launch his gritty blood and gore snoozefest so long as he could have used their name to boost his 'vision'.

FailTrain

Post by FailTrain »

I like that this is where you are going with it.

Thank you.

Oarboar

Post by Oarboar »

My advice to Tristan? First, suck it up. Second, If DVDs and Blu-ray Discs can have alternative endings for movies, then maybe he could suggest his version of Chamelia be packed into a deluxe version. Why, yes, my degree is business-related. Why do you ask?

But then I don't have much sympathy for him. Writing off half of your potential audience "just because" is an incredibly stupid move.
"Hey Blossom! I’ve got reach, and you’ve got flexibility. We should bang."
"If you've been given a tank, you don't park it outside a nunnery. You go to war."
"Que ce bordel?" -- Maurice Richard

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

Oarboar wrote:My advice to Tristan? First, suck it up. Second, If DVDs and Blu-ray Discs can have alternative endings for movies, then maybe he could suggest his version of Chamelia be packed into a deluxe version. Why, yes, my degree is business-related. Why do you ask?

But then I don't have much sympathy for him. Writing off half of your potential audience "just because" is an incredibly stupid move.
if that version of the game is basically done? Sure, pull a Riddick and pack 2 games in one and make more people happy

Otherwise it might be much more problematic than just "add it in". Remember the game is likely JUST being revealed

Zorlond

Post by Zorlond »

Raamyah wrote:Okay, Sandra, you've won. Power down before you make a fool of yourself.
Well, we've seen how she gets when she's drunk on vodka. Now let's see how she is when she's drunk on power. Gonna be good. :D

Falaris

Post by Falaris »

For what it's worth, you guys know about the Blur studio? They are given the basic premise of a game, then make rather wonderful trailers/intro movies (that may or may not have all that much to do with the finished game). They've made a lot of the E3 videos that has been ooh-aah'd the last number of years. Having a trailer does not NECESSARILY mean having a game.

Just a JFYI (and a collection of their work is here: http://www.blur.com/ ... some amazing stuff there, also make sure to check the 'work' gallery.

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

Their Dragon Age trailer was AWZUM