2013-06-04 Flash

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Spidrift

Re: 2013-06-04 Flash

Post by Spidrift »

Bambikles wrote:What is the reference behind "Roman Hands". I understand the "hands" part, but why "Roman" ?
Roman/roaming. "Roaming hands" is a common euphemism, the implication being that the hands usually roam where they're not wanted on other people.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Bloody Vikings

Post by Bloody Vikings »

Roman=roamin'
Proud owner of one "Gotcha" point, courtesy of TBeholder and 1.35 Internets (after taxes) from Don Alexander.
Also one IOU for an internets from FragileMara.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Aaaaaah okay ! I've looked at the translation of "to roam". There's a French expression with exactly the same meaning: "mains baladeuses". Sadly, you can't forge a character name with those words.

Brux

Post by Brux »

That Guy wrote:Well, Poland used to be part of Germa- oh wait, what's that? Not anymore?
Only as much as England has ever been under French or Scandinavian rule. Rebellious occupied territory and all that. Some 130 years total, and we managed to keep our national identity more or less intact. Can't say the same about German-speaking nations, who still can't sort out their regional differences ;)
Spidrift wrote:There is, I understand, no patch of earth which has always been part of Poland whenever Poland has existed.
Depends on your definition of "Poland". Poland's history dates back to the end of 10th century, and at that point Kraków (Cracovia) was already part of it, along with most of the region called Lesser Poland. From 1040 until late 18th century, Kraków was the official capital city of Poland (although functionally, Warsaw became the capital city in 1596, some 70 years after the Duchy of Masovia was officially incorporated as part of the Polish Crown). During the feudal fragmentation of Poland after Bolesław III Wrymouth's death, Kraków and Lesser Poland were officially the "senior state", and its ruler was theoretically a feudal overlord of the whole Polish territory.

So... yeah, there is a place in Poland which has always been part of the country, no matter what happened to the rest of it. Even during the Partitions, Kraków belonged to the Austo-Hungarian Empire, and the whole region, known as the Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria, enjoyed a lot of autonomy (compared to the parts occupied by Russia and Prussia), allowing Polish culture to thrive there.
Bambikles wrote:I believe at least the area around Varsaw has always been in every Polish state.
Actually, Masovia along with Warsaw was a separate, autonomous state for a long while, with a history of anti-Polish rebellion in the Middle Ages (due to pagan separatism from predominantly christian Poland).
Spidrift wrote:Though the thing I like is the Polish national monument ... in the outskirts of Vienna.
Well, we did turn the tide of the Battle of Vienna (1683) at the last minute. It was actually a disastrous decision for Poland, since it directly resulted in strengthening the Habsburgs and weakening the Ottomans. From a historical point of view, we shot ourselves in the foot - if we had allied with the Ottomans, they could destroy the Holy Roman Empire, and together we could keep Prussia and Rusia in a stalemate. Instead, we helped the country which then took advantage of us. The msot ironic poart is, the Ottoman Empire refused to accept the Partitions of Poland and still recognized Poles as a sovereign nation, only bereft of its territory.

Whoa, quite a tangent...
Last edited by Brux on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*slithers off to lurk some more*

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Bambikles wrote:Aaaaaah okay ! I've looked at the translation of "to roam". There's a French expression with exactly the same meaning: "mains baladeuses". Sadly, you can't forge a character name with those words.
I would :)) if the guy's name actually turned out to be Roman Hands or some variation thereof. Wouldn't bode well for Sandra though.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Brux wrote:
Spidrift wrote:Though the thing I like is the Polish national monument ... in the outskirts of Vienna.
Well, we did turn the tide of the Battle of Vienna (1683) at the last minute.
The monument commemorates that event, actually - and I gather it's maintained by the Polish state. It's the place where the Polish cavalry took mass before they launched the full riders-of-Rohan charge down the hill. And, hey, strategic blunder or not, they got to break the freakin' Janissaries. And the Viennese still seem to acknowledge the debt.

Lovely spot. But yeah, as the review of the History of Poland said, just don't expect a happy ending. And yes, this is nothing to do with cheese.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

TheDude
Resident Redhead

Post by TheDude »

...and of course those are not "German" clothes at all.

They bear a loose resemblance to Bavarian traditional costumes, but that's Bavaria, not Germany ;)

I think deep down the Bavarians know that their state is a part of Germany, but neither the Bavarians, nor the Germans like to draw attention to it.
"Time spent in happy delusion is never wasted." Frazz by Jef Mallet

"We fear change." Garth Algar

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

Pinch him back, Sandra, pinch him back!
;-)

hightechartist

Post by hightechartist »

What's really sad is that my fiancee used to be Mrs. Incredible at Disneyland, and guys used to do the butt pinch to her ALL the time in that costume.
And they aren't even allowed to talk in those costumes, so they can't even verbally protest.
Last edited by hightechartist on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brux

Post by Brux »

Spidrift wrote:strategic blunder or not, they got to break the freakin' Janissaries.
It wouldn't exactly be the first time. In their time, our husaria were equals to Jannisaries in terms of skill and fame. The main differences were:
- husaria were heavy cavalry (often accompanied by another, slightly lighter cavalry formation, pancerni (the name literally meant armored ones), while the Jannisaries were infantry units; the Ottoman Empire had a rough equivalent of pancerni in form of heavier sipahi formations;
- every husarz was a nobleman and a voluntary member of his formation, with either enough money or a rich enough sponsor to fund his whole gear (and a servant or ten back at the camp); Jannisaries were the Sultan's personal guard, consisting throughout most of their history of slaves - namely, christian children taken from their families and forcibly converted to islam, with a chance of retirement and freedom when they reached the ripe old age of 45.

Another bit of historical information: the first cafe in Austria was supposedly opened by one of the heroes of the 1683 battle, Jerzy Franciszek Kulczycki. Accoording to legend, he received the Ottoman army's supply of coffee as his part of the spoils. I'm not entirely sure how much of this story is real, but the Poles did have dibs on the spoils (it was one of the conditions for our assistance), so it's not too far fetched.

OK, I'll just shut up now. Sorry, whenever history (especially Polish history) is mentioned, I find it hard not to fixate on the subject ;)
TheDude wrote:I think deep down the Bavarians know that their state is a part of Germany, but neither the Bavarians, nor the Germans like to draw attention to it.
That's part of what I hinted at earlier. A lot of Germans are their Land's citizens first and foremost, not the Federation's :D
*slithers off to lurk some more*

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

hightechartist wrote:What's really sad is that my fiancee used to be Mrs. Incredible at Disneyland, and guys used to do the butt pinch to her ALL the time in that costume.
Okay, yes, that's really, really sad. Though in that costume, the temptation to respond with a headbutt could be overwhelming.
Brux wrote:- husaria were heavy cavalry ...
You forgot to mention the thing about them that everyone mentions...
---------
Spidrift

Bobluvsandra

Post by Bobluvsandra »

Wouldn't blame her for hitting him, but remember Sandra, this is the Modeling business! Everyone wants to check the merchandise. But oh, I sure would love a picture with her. Hmm she hasn't resorted to drinking again.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

That's kind of the weird bit, given the comic's title...
---------
Spidrift

brasca

Post by brasca »

I might be alone on this, but I think I'd rather hit the nit picker than the pincher. Seriously, Sandra is wearing a mid drift bearing blouse. Where in the German or Polish countryside could you find someone dressed like that? It's faux Central European or Bohemian chic, or whatever the hell the fashion designers say.

gir633

Post by gir633 »

When I was growing up (in an area that was majorly 1st, 2nd & 3rd [my gen., but I'm English/French with a splash of Prussian] generation Polish immigrant/decent) you would always hear the joke, "What's the difference between a Pole and a German: where the border was when they were born".

Way back when, you would constantly hear Polish accents, but go back there now and you don't hear any at all. Actually I rather miss that, well at least they still have an annual polka fest. But I digress, so I'll just end there.