13-05-28 supermarkets have lied to me

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: 13-05-28 supermarkets have lied to me

Post by Don Alexander »

Salty wrote:Also, I have trouble with cheese other than cheddar and...like, pepper jack. Dunno why. Just never liked it.
Please allow me a snort of derision.

This reminds me of when a female colleague from the US visited us at the observatory some years back. We went shopping beforehand, to a big (Wal-Mart-sized) supermarket. Now, Germany is not exactly THE land of cheese in Europe (that would likely be the Netherlands and France), but we do have a vast assortment on offer. And she wanted some bread and cheese, nothing more. So here she stands in front of this gigantic offering of cheeses, and I'm trying to use my meager knowledge to tell her about this or that one...

... and she ended up buying cheddar and white sandwich bread. :ymsick:

(Don't get me wrong, I actually like cheddar, though I'm used to the real thing...)

Anyway, that was a sorry story on how someone had the horizon open to them but just looked down at the ground before her feet.

I'm glad Sandra kind of got forced to expand her horizons, even though "Polish Gouda" doesn't sound like anything special to me at all...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Hurbster

Post by Hurbster »

Went to Germany and not tried any of the dark breads ? Isn't that illegal ?
"We're only immortal for a limited time. " - Dreamline.

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

I'm very glad Sandra likes cheese. This would be just too cruel if she didn't. :-?

Bloody Vikings

Post by Bloody Vikings »

Hurbster, if it is not, it should be.
Proud owner of one "Gotcha" point, courtesy of TBeholder and 1.35 Internets (after taxes) from Don Alexander.
Also one IOU for an internets from FragileMara.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Hurbster wrote:Went to Germany and not tried any of the dark breads ? Isn't that illegal ?
Didn't go to Germany but seen it once or twice in French supermarkets (hard-discount like Lidl and its clones). Now that I want to try it, I can't find it anywhere, that's sooooooo frustrating ! :-w

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Do you mean actual Pumpernickel or some other kind of bread?

But, yeah, Germany may not be the world's best cheese nation, but it is way up there when it comes to bread (next to the French, of course).
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Yeah, I was talking about pumpernickel. Or at least it looks like it and is described as "rye bread". Funny, because typical French rye bread looks nothing like this but I suppose "pumpernickel" would mean nothing for an overwhelming majority of French consumers.