13-05-17 How elegant

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Bambikles

Re: 13-05-17 How elegant

Post by Bambikles »

Well,this dirndl can be seen as nsfw given it looks like more like a disguise for erotic play, like the infamous nurse or policewoman ones, than the real thing.

Which makes me wonder what kind of fashion show is it supposed to be? Dirndl are sooooo out-fashoned....

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

All together now:

"It's ironic!"
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Bobluvsandra

Post by Bobluvsandra »

Poor Sandra...LOVED seeing her in that gown..even if imaginary. oh well... chin up, girl, or...drink up!

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

It looks like it will be beer tonight. ^-^

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

But can she carry 12 Maß at once? ;))
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Paranoid Rodent

Post by Paranoid Rodent »

Long-time Pixie Trix reader and fan of Giz and Eisu's work for ages here. I hate to delurk with a grumble but as a former resident of Montreal, I found this strip kind of jarring and odd. :(

In Ma3 and SotR, it is clearly established that Sandra was a resident of Montreal prior to her ending up in Brazil with Senna. It's never made clear if she's always lived there or simply lived there long enough to consider it home as seen in http://www.sandraontherocks.com/strips- ... s_so_tight. Either way, she's a Montreal girl and it is quite clear that she speaks good to excellent French.

The big and quite well-known (to local residents at least) convention centre in Montreal is the Palais des Congrès de Montréal. It's kind of hard to miss it on maps of the downtown area right next to Chinatown and the touristy Old Montreal. In other words, someone who lived in Montreal, even a unilingual anglophone, should recognize that "palais des congrès" is just the French term for convention centre. Most of the Montreal anglo's I've known, especially the bilingual ones, frequently use French terms when referring to places in conversation, including the convention centre.

I realize the gag works fine just in English and plays on an amusing literal translation. It's just strangely jarring given that Ma3 (which Dave also writes) does a very good job of making the characters feel like they're in Montreal by getting all the local details right. It still feels like Montreal despite handwaving away the linguistic duality of the city (Didi's silly accent aside :p ) for reader convenience.

I guess I'm a little spoiled as a result and as a result Sandra's suddenly clueless translation just feels so off. :-\

Meh, hopefully it worked better for other readers.
Spidrift wrote:"Utilitarian" can have a philosophical meaning (look up Jeremy Bentham and John Stuart Mill for the history), but it can also have a simpler meaning. It tends to mean "concerned with usefulness and nothing else" (a utilitarian philosophy would be strict and narrow - the greatest good of the greatest number is all that ever counts), so yes, it fits what you're trying to say. A functional building might also be pretty; a utilitarian building probably isn't.
Yeah, the simpler meaning of "utilitarian" in English does generally suggest that aesthetics were not a consideration but there is a subtly stronger negativity in the French term Bambikles used. Utlitaire implies not only a lack of concern for aesthetics but genuine dreariness or lack of joy. It isn't quite "oppressive" but it is more damning than "utilitarian". The English term is just a touch more neutral. Nuances can be a pain in translation.

Double post merged. The DAMNed

Falaris

Post by Falaris »

Bambikles wrote:Well,this dirndl can be seen as nsfw given it looks like more like a disguise for erotic play, like the infamous nurse or policewoman ones, than the real thing.

Which makes me wonder what kind of fashion show is it supposed to be? Dirndl are sooooo out-fashoned....
I am pretty sure that is the point - she's not out to make Sandra look good, after all. :)