27-04-13 It does look tasty

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Re: 27-04-13 It does look tasty

Post by BlairFan »

He just couldn't resist that little joke, now, could he? Well, honestly, who could?
I am very glad Sandra can understand and speak French. Otherwise, her humiliation would get just too excruciating.
:-?

Bobluvsandra

Post by Bobluvsandra »

Poor thing! He does seem sincere that it was a joke. she is quite cute in that, regardless.

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

Don Alexander wrote:He must have thought he was being bunny.
*hits DA with the BPS*

Also, wishes he'd thought of that one.
“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

No! That would be absurd! My whims are titanic in scope!

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Poor Sandra, but the joke was worth it. I'm not sure if it's really a carrot cake sheate. She seems new to the taste of this cake. Pierre is both cute and funny, I hope he becomes a regular.

As for if carrot cake are regularly sold in ordinary boulangeries, no. Carrot cake is not very popular in France and quite still exotic. You'll find it in posh boulangeries, but you really have to look for it. Some families make it at home, but it's not very common. Note that it is not especially looked as weird or awful. It's just met with great indifference and usually seen as a "cake to eat when you're on a diet".

Typical boulangeries cakes are éclairs, choux à la crème (actually, many, many little cakes use pâte à choux), fraisier, tartelette aux fruits, Paris-Brest, moka, chocolate cakes and flan pâtissier. I surely forget some but those are the more common.
The cake from the anglosphere which is ubiquitous in France is the brownie, with muffin and donut not far behind. But those are usually industrial pastries.

EDIT: Spelling, syntax, grammar. 8-|

Gil Hamilton

Post by Gil Hamilton »

I think a truth is stranger than fiction clause can be put into affect here whether or not its likely that that dude would happen to have carrot cake in a fancy whatever shop in Paris.

For example, poutine is not common in the US and certainly not in Arizona, but when I went to this small brewpub here, they not only had it but the real deal stuff with the squeaky cheese curds. I was talking to the lady who ran the place, who was also our server, about that and the reason they had poutine on the menu was not because of any connection to Canada or Wisconsin, but because she had it once, really liked it, and decided to put it on her menu.

That guy may happen to like carrot cake and had it as part of his offerings on that basis, even if it is unusual. Then a girl in a bunny costume comes in and he goes "Aha, this is too perfect."

hightechartist

Post by hightechartist »

Must be some weird carrot cake if she couldn't tell what it was upon tasting it.

Gil Hamilton

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Or looking at it, for that matter.

Collarnorcrown

Post by Collarnorcrown »

Well played Pierre, well played, and Sandra looks so freaking cute in that costume.

the name Pierre always makes me think of this song though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIkyrf3pCGQ (NSFW for language)
"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Gil Hamilton wrote:Or looking at it, for that matter.
To be fair, she wasn't looking at the cake ever at all ^o^

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Gil Hamilton wrote:I think a truth is stranger than fiction clause can be put into affect here whether or not its likely that that dude would happen to have carrot cake in a fancy whatever shop in Paris.
Oh, I had nothing against the presence of acrrot cake here. Just answering questions asked for folks on the thread. ;)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Very recently noted in a French cake shop; a Snickers cake. Oh, dear.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

:ymsick: I can feel my teeth melting just by thinking about it.

Quote removed. The DAMNed