01-04-16 Breathless with anticipation

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

brasca

Re: 01-04-16 Breathless with anticipation

Post by brasca »

Out of all the April Fools gags I wish this announcement was one too. It's not so much the hiatus that bothers me. I don't mind waiting for good things, but it seems that one by one Pixie Trix has lost a webcomic I followed regularly and even though Sandra on the Rocks is still around it's not produced as regularly. And while I'm happy to read that Eerie Cuties is returning I'm not all that excited about it being a reboot. There were still plenty of loose ends from the previous strip to continue. And of course no one is happy about the nipple ban. :p

Well that being all stated I like how this volume is ending and while I figured we'd be misdirected I didn't think Dillon would sleep with Jerzy although it's not all that surprising since they both lack self control. This of course diminishes whatever dirt Zii has on Angel. I don't think she took pictures so it's just her word against his and seeing as how what Dillon and Jerzy did outweighs the kiss she gave to Richie the moral high ground is lost. It remains to be seen as to how Zii will break the news, but if she comes off as vindictive then it could blow up in her face.

As for Andy and Ruby I presume that whatever confusion exists might actually be worked out by talking over dinner. Perhaps they will order in since Ruby would feel more comfortable discussing sex in private. After mutual relief that they sex is not expected it probably will happen and it will be the kind of news that will monopolize the next meeting and delay Zii's bombshell for a time.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

As you say, Zii didn't seem to be grabbing pictures - so it's possible that she'll amuse herself more by intimidating Angel than by going direct to Jerzy, who might choose not to believe her. That'd give her the chance for more protracted amusement, after all.

Ruby and Andy... Who knows? We don't even know if Andy is just totally clueless about sex, or if he has some weird hang-ups on the subject, after all. I could imagine some initial mutual embarrassment being followed by a heart-to-heart talk over dinner (if Andy has booked the restaurant it'd be a shame to waste the booking). Which might or might not be followed straight away by sex.

Or maybe Ruby will just spend thirty seconds being embarrassed, and then go "what the hell" and drag Andy into the bedroom, on the grounds that that's less embarrassing than talking about this misunderstanding.

I can't see Ruby raising the subject at the next club meeting, whatever happens, but yeah, I can see Ramona demanding to know what happened. However, Dillon will have had the opportunity to ask well before then, so making that the subject of the next cub meet might seem a bit repetitive. Equally, I doubt that Zii will make her attack on Angel there; doing so in front of Angel's sister and the high-minded Ruby wouldn't seem at all smart.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

TheResult wrote:You know, I genuinely couldn't tell if this was an April Fools strip or not, because this whole setup seems out of character for Jerzy, and yet not out of character for the writer.

If it's not an April Fool's comic, I'm honestly disappointed.

Is it out of character for him, though?

We know that he loved Dillon very much; but was offended/angry that Dillon refused to believe that nothing was going on between him and Angel (at that time). So him giving into his attraction to Dillon when there's no one to buffer it isn't surprising.

At least Angel doesn't have to worry about being exposed for that secret date, anymore. Sure, Jerzy could point out their hypocrisy, but it's one thing to have a private date/ give the date a kiss at the end when compared to Jerzy sleeping with his ex behind Angel's back.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote: I can't see Ruby raising the subject at the next club meeting, whatever happens, but yeah, I can see Ramona demanding to know what happened. However, Dillon will have had the opportunity to ask well before then, so making that the subject of the next cub meet might seem a bit repetitive. Equally, I doubt that Zii will make her attack on Angel there; doing so in front of Angel's sister and the high-minded Ruby wouldn't seem at all smart.
No, but I'm sure her friends will want details even if Dillon has heard everything. And while I would hope Zii would have better tact than spilling the beans at the next meeting you've said before she's not that much of a long term planner. It definitely wouldn't go over well because while Ramona wishes Angel wouldn't be so high strung she would definitely take her brother's side especially if Dillon's secret was spilled too. The last thing Ruby needs is tension within the club she's trying to build so it might be all the more reason to talk about her sex life as a distraction.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Spidrift wrote:Okay, I'm not getting that "Howard" reference. Video game? Indifferent Hollywood movie?
Big Bang Theory.

Howard's mom is often heard (very loudly :)) ) but never seen.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:And while I would hope Zii would have better tact than spilling the beans at the next meeting you've said before she's not that much of a long term planner.
Actually, it's entirely possible that Zii will sit on this information for an indefinite period - until Angel tries something nasty on her, or on her friends. Zii is vengeful, sometimes ruthlessly so, but she's not terribly proactive. She's a counter-puncher. (It's the same psychology that made her fairly useless as a wing-girl for Gary; he never gave her much to work with, and she didn't initiate much.) And she really doesn't seem to hate Angel as much as Angel hates her. (Why should she? It wasn't Zii who got jealous over a "boyfriend" who didn't class himself as such.) So far as I could tell, the fistfight at the first club meeting consisted of Angel attacking Dillon, and Zii trying to drag Angel off - and by the end, she was offering Angel sane advice about bandaging.

So she may go for dozens of strips just looking smug and saying nothing, until Angel does something unacceptable - finding out that Dillon slept with Jerzy, say, and throwing a public screaming fit at both of them. Then, pow, verbal leg-sweep, Angel goes down.

Oh, and am I really the only reader to note the Rocky Horror misquote?
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

brasca

Post by brasca »

I believe he is paraphrasing Rocky Horror. Quoting it verbatim would not sound right.

neneroi

Post by neneroi »

Fluffy wrote:Is it out of character for Jerzy, though?

We know that he loved Dillon very much; but was offended/angry that Dillon refused to believe that nothing was going on between him and Angel (at that time). So him giving into his attraction to Dillon when there's no one to buffer it isn't surprising.

At least Angel doesn't have to worry about being exposed for that secret date, anymore. Sure, Jerzy could point out their hypocrisy, but it's one thing to have a private date/ give the date a kiss at the end when compared to Jerzy sleeping with his ex behind Angel's back.
Yes. My point. That's the one good thing about it. B-)

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Hmmm...will it be back? MC went on hiatus and it's still down :(

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

I thought MC was officially ending, though.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

MC went on a go-slow for a long time, followed by an Official Hiatus, followed by irregular updates resuming, followed by an announcement that it was ending - although, given that the story got a clear yank post-hiatus, pre-announcement, they'd obviously decided to pull the plug well before making it public. (And, like EC, it has a short-run Kickstarted revival coming).

SotR is in a closer position to MC right now.

rakedan

Post by rakedan »

Kinda bummed knowing the strip will be on hiatus...
Let's just hope the first strip for volume 3 will be about Ruby~
An idiot on internet with memory problem.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Zippy wrote:MC went on a go-slow for a long time, followed by an Official Hiatus, followed by irregular updates resuming, followed by an announcement that it was ending - although, given that the story got a clear yank post-hiatus, pre-announcement, they'd obviously decided to pull the plug well before making it public. (And, like EC, it has a short-run Kickstarted revival coming).

Really? That's terrible to hear. SotR is the best out of all the current ones :/

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

Azrael wrote:
Don Alexander wrote:While not in the same boat as Spi, I am a bit sad that SDB is taking a break, I was really curious to see Andy/Ruby continue.

Anyway, I guess we also get more confirmation that Felicia has son named Howard...

Okay, but is he a duck? :p
??? can't find in google search in the first 3 pages any reference of felicia son howard that would match Don's quote
ImageImage

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

JoybuzzerX wrote:
Zippy wrote:MC went on a go-slow for a long time, followed by an Official Hiatus, followed by irregular updates resuming, followed by an announcement that it was ending - although, given that the story got a clear yank post-hiatus, pre-announcement, they'd obviously decided to pull the plug well before making it public. (And, like EC, it has a short-run Kickstarted revival coming).

Really? That's terrible to hear. SotR is the best out of all the current ones :/
To be fair, the Chloe strip may be the closer comparitor - there, despite a heavy non-comics workload, Cassandra held on until the end of vol. 1 (#200 + a goodbye pinup, albeit with a whole bunch of skipped/late updates on the way) and then stepped down/they brought in a replacement. Who may be a step down in just about every artistic department, but is punctual if nothing else.