Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Shouri

16-03-16 I promised you

Post by Shouri »

brasca

Re: 16-03-16 I promised you

Post by brasca »

It appears that I was right about it being a date with Richie albeit postponed.

It may also be a bit of misdirection if the plot shifts to Angel and Richie for the remaining 4 strips.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:It appears that I was right about it being a date with Richie albeit postponed.
Actually it was christopheftw (to whom, congratulations) who first raised the possibility that the date wasn't with Jerzy - after which, this was the inevitable alternative. (I see that Giz caught that the date had to have been rescheduled.) But anyway... The interesting question now is whether Dillon bumps into Jerzy, or what else arises. There only ever seem to be about three restaurants in Ma3-Montreal, so it's very possible that someone else will just wander by.
brasca wrote:It may also be a bit of misdirection if the plot shifts to Angel and Richie for the remaining 4 strips.
Indeed. And if Giz is still playing the traditional bookends game, we could get a visual echo of #151 with, say, Angel waking up in bed with Richie and looking all oh-shit-what've-I-done, or a verbal echo with some line about Richie getting hot under the collar over Angel, or... Well, we'll have to wait and see.

Hmm. How far is Angel's self-presentation a conscious choice at any given time, and how much is it a deep-seated impulse? She's clearly choosing to be, very much, "Angie" at this point.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Ah, nath'd by Spidrift...

Yeah, I get the feeling that Angel might as well say "I'm not going on a date with you, I'm not gay for you!" Then changes to Angie and suddenly everything is fine.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:
brasca wrote:It appears that I was right about it being a date with Richie albeit postponed.
Actually it was christopheftw (to whom, congratulations) who first raised the possibility that the date wasn't with Jerzy - after which, this was the inevitable alternative.
It's a rare occasion when I'm first to post anything so I didn't have time to fact check so yes christopheftw wrote it first, but you doubted it so :p
Spidrift wrote:The interesting question now is whether Dillon bumps into Jerzy, or what else arises. There only ever seem to be about three restaurants in Ma3-Montreal, so it's very possible that someone else will just wander by.
Spidrift wrote:
brasca wrote:It may also be a bit of misdirection if the plot shifts to Angel and Richie for the remaining 4 strips.
Indeed. And if Giz is still playing the traditional bookends game, we could get a visual echo of #151 with, say, Angel waking up in bed with Richie and looking all oh-shit-what've-I-done, or a verbal echo with some line about Richie getting hot under the collar over Angel, or... Well, we'll have to wait and see.

Hmm. How far is Angel's self-presentation a conscious choice at any given time, and how much is it a deep-seated impulse? She's clearly choosing to be, very much, "Angie" at this point.
Dillon was shocked to find out Angel is a woman and has never seen her Angie persona so he might be completely oblivious, but if she sees him she'll be so worried about what he'll say to Jerzy she may overplay her her feminine side which could lead up to that very scenario. I'd actually prefer that since I find Ruby hopping into bed in just 4 more strips to be too rushed. Sure the story could be explored through flashbacks, but I think Ruby's first time is going to require a chapter.

LarsenSan

Post by LarsenSan »

The more I read this the more I'm convinced Angel has a serious case of dissociative identity disorder...

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

I don't know what it is... but every since the reveal

Either Giz is drawing Angel more Feminine and Less androgynous or its a mental mind trick.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:Dillon was shocked to find out Angel is a woman and has never seen her Angie persona so he might be completely oblivious, but if she sees him she'll be so worried about what he'll say to Jerzy she may overplay her her feminine side which could lead up to that very scenario.
I think that Dillon would recognise Angie as Angel easily enough. After all, both the confused old guy in the pet shop and Ruby recognised her with no apparent trouble, and Dillon probably has an actor's eye for faces. I'd want there to be a good excuse for him missing what those other two got.
brasca wrote:I'd actually prefer that since I find Ruby hopping into bed in just 4 more strips to be too rushed. Sure the story could be explored through flashbacks, but I think Ruby's first time is going to require a chapter.
I dunno. Frankly, we've got to the point where the actual sex could be a bit of an anticlimax (hopefully not too literally), unless Giz throws in some arbitrary comedy complications. Ruby's been getting her head around the idea of a straightforward sexual relationship for dozens of strips now, and if she had any serious issues, she'd have been trying to decide how to tell Andy to get knotted, not angling for pro tips regarding the deed.

Sure, she was worried when the subject first came up - but Ramona has reassured her that a shy geek/nerd girl can get through it with some pleasure, Dillon has reduced a potentially intimidating aspect of it to a technical problem with a cookbook solution, and she's been looking quite relaxed for her last couple of strips. So now, she just has to take a deep breath and go for it.

Sure, we may get dozens of strips of weird noises through the wall from Amber's room, Andy being confused because he meant a visit to an icecream parlour, one of them having to go out and buy some condoms, and so on ad infinitum. It may well happen; there's a lot of standard but good sex comedy jokes in there. But equally, we may just get one frame of Ruby saying "I hope I wasn't too hopeless" and Andy's expression saying that no, she wasn't.

(Or... I'm now imagining the annoying noises coming through the wall from Amber's room a little later, and Ruby seeing if she can get her own back by getting Andy to get religion loud enough to annoy Amber...)
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

sdb20160316.png
sdb20160316.png (125.82 KiB) Viewed 27514 times
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Krendall

Post by Krendall »

Is it me or is Angel only nice when she's in "girl" mode?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

We don't often see her in girl mode, and never when she's interacting with Dillon or manipulating Jerzy. Hence, her worst moments happen to involve her being in guy mode. Skewed sample.
---------
Spidrift

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

LarsenSan wrote:The more I read this the more I'm convinced Angel has a serious case of dissociative identity disorder...
Not really. It doesn't seem like that at all.

brasca

Post by brasca »

It's difficult to make a full analysis based one what we've seen so far and what little is known about gender is fluidity.

I suppose my problem would be if Angel starts seeing Richie behind Jerzy's back and justifies that it's not cheating as long as Richie gets Angie and Jerzy gets Angel.