10-02-16 Love dessert

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Spidrift

Re: 10-02-16 Love dessert

Post by Spidrift »

True, yeah, she missed Zii's pass. That was just way out of her frame of reference, and she was a bit excited at the time. She's still learning.

Andy's error, though, was nothing to do with "political correctness" and everything to do with old-fashioned politeness. You don't assume another person's consent in a serious and intimate matter. You just don't. Miss Manners would be clear on that. Andy is probably being a twit rather than a jerk, but it was still a lapse of badic courtesy.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

brasca

Post by brasca »

The problem is a lot of the old fashioned politeness is tied to a bygone era where Andy would be expected to contact Ruby's parents before asking her on a date. A lot of these rules are archaic or in a murky grey area these days. Andy should be respectful and is, but if one is overly polite then they accomplish nothing because they are too afraid to say the wrong thing or hurt someone's feelings. By broaching the subject of taking things to the next level he's made a declaration of interest whereas taking no initiative could communicate a lack of interest and boredom.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

He's welcome to broach the subject; he can ask, but he can't assume. And this is a basic rule, unrelated to old-fashioned courtship rules. He was welcome to ask her out for dinner (and she said yes); he wasn't entitled to assume that she'd come until he had asked. He could ask to borrow a dollar from her; he couldn't just take it from her purse. Why should he feel entitled to assume that she'd consent to whatever "taking it to the next level" means, without even asking?

Unless it does turn out to be something totally innocuous, of course.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

brasca wrote:I'm also surprised there isn't more of a reaction. Perhaps some of the more short tempered posters imploded after the previous controversies.
Perhaps they have all been banned. :P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

brasca

Post by brasca »

Well I can think of one in particular recently unless you're including last year's mass banhammering of the Amber slut shamers.
Spidrift wrote:He's welcome to broach the subject; he can ask, but he can't assume. And this is a basic rule, unrelated to old-fashioned courtship rules. He was welcome to ask her out for dinner (and she said yes); he wasn't entitled to assume that she'd come until he had asked. He could ask to borrow a dollar from her; he couldn't just take it from her purse. Why should he feel entitled to assume that she'd consent to whatever "taking it to the next level" means, without even asking?

Unless it does turn out to be something totally innocuous, of course.
Perhaps I'm being a little overly sensitive about this subject because I'm trying to break out of my comfort zone and actually seek a social life, but I get so hung up on all the little rules and overthink every single word I say or move I make that I end up doing nothing. Sure people like Andy may stumble, but they are at least taking the initiative to ask and I wish I could abandon convention and risk being so clumsy because I'm getting nowhere staying in neutral.